Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Was it the lockout that put this team behind in 2011.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Was it the lockout that put this team behind in 2011.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 14, 2011 05:06AM

This phins team wasn't ready to start the season as far as preparation and conditioning IMO...

We are not that far from been a great team...

We need....

1....A great rookie QB.

2....2 More OLmen......get columbus out of there quick...I didnt see moore get harrased too many times yesterday...did i miss something??????Maybe the redskins Dline really stinks.

3....And a hard hitting superstar Safety.

WHY?

1. Why was darsby playing like crap at the beggining....Now he is playing well.....Conditioning??????

2. the same goes for burnett...Conditioning????

One thing i didnt like yesterday..

Question?

What the hell are these morons dancing about on the sidelines?

You are 2-7 guys.....You haven't qualified for the playoffs..And barrying a miracle you will not qualify for the playoffs.

Come on now. Ge t real.

EDIT......BTW we need more players like vontae davis....He comes off an injury and makes an impact on the game....Build around this guy. Because he is going to be something special to watch.

I hope sean smith develops like vontae has....Then we are on to something.

GO PHINS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 04:25AM by samsam3738.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you think it was the lockout that put this team behind as far as preparation in 2011.
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: November 14, 2011 05:54AM

I've already stated this in previous posts...

It seems pretty clear that this team was not ready in multiple areas:

1) Physically... Stamina and conditioning...that first game against the Patsies was pathetic. Hamstring injuries have hindered many of our top players. Bad tackling.

2) Mentally...New offensive system was riddled w/ communication problems early on. Defensive backfield had a few costly mental breakdowns.

3) Strategy... Getting Reggie Bush, Fasono, Clay, & Marshall properly utilized. Defensively, adding more press coverages and Middle blitz packages.

All these areas take time to install and implement without flaw.

It actually reflects well upon the coaching staff that they can get these players in a better position to win games with more time and hard work.

Re: Do you think it was the lockout that put this team behind as far as preparation in 2011.
Date: November 14, 2011 06:26AM

Saprano and play calling Lost us games. they are doing better, but some of the play offensive play calling in the red Zone was just Horendous.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 14, 2011 06:29AM

Yes, the lockout effected us as a team and made us less prepared as we would have otherwise been...but, the coaches HAVE to make sure that we are prepared to play. Rules aside, you can't tell me that there wasen't a way to comunicate, conditioning and playbook information with the players better than we did...which is to say we didn't.

If you aren't cheating, then you aren't trying hard enough.

Then, we have a young team and that alone means time to jell will be required.

O-line and D-line were the two areas where we NEEDED immediate improvement...and by immediate, I mean...seven weeks ago and the O-LIne is still a work in progress.

Fact, no player on the team except for Chad Henne was ready to start the season...thats the coaches fault.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 14, 2011 06:57AM

Agree with all the points made.

We also do not have a solid Free Safety.

What is Clemons injury that 9 weeks later he still can't play? why wasn't he IRd and someone brought in?

Rashad Jones was horrible early...they benched him. They put in Culver who wasn't great but not as bad as Jones. Then they re-insert Jones...who is still too slow, out of position, bites on the wrong stuff.

IMO our Defense needs a 'playmaker' FS more than anything else. We haven't had one in YEARS!!!

I say let Jimmy Wilson start opposite Vontae and convert Smith to FS ( which he played in college and pre-draft predicted to play in the NFL) OR convert Wilson to FS ( which he played in College)

I know they gave Wilson some reps in training camp...but let's be honest...this pre-season was a joke for everyone but Henne.

Wilson or Smith needs to play safety. Will Allen and Nollan Carrol can play the nickel & dime.

Date: November 14, 2011 07:29AM

Realist maybe we will find another louis oliver in next years draft.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: November 14, 2011 07:46AM

In my humble opinion your question is irrelevant.

What is relevant is the fact that we were one of the worst teams in the league for the first half of the season.

What we need to do is change the way we are doing things. Everyone has sunk to a level of accepting average performance as steller performance.

Date: November 14, 2011 07:55AM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What is relevant is the fact that we were one of
> the worst teams in the league for the first half
> of the season.

IMO because of the lockout. Vontaes and sean smith cramps....were they fake.....I dont see noone with the cramps now.

Could it had been conditioning.....Maybe other teams got ready better for the season...

Maybe our strenghening and conditioning coach stink both of them.

Who knows what it is.

PS. I think if we play the redskins the first game of the season, we lose that game. JMHO.

Re: Was it the lockout that put this team behind in 2011.
Date: November 21, 2011 04:10AM

I knew it was the lockout that put this team behind. I told you.'

Now the phins look like a different team.

Matt more should make a great second string he is playing way above his level. Doing great.

I knew we were not a bad team we just needed to gell.

That long offseason did not do us any good.

GO PHINS.

PS. BTW isnt this prove enough that if the phins qb plays well, we should win a lot of games...Only and great qb away people....write it down.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 05:29AM

I agree w/ the points above

* Draft a qb #1
* sign the best F/A RT we can get our hands on
* Convert Smith to FS
* resign Carey
* make the other draft picks wisely

let the guys celebrate they have had enough reason to hang their heads this season. Now its time to let it loose and kick a&&. They are the pros.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 06:26AM

not sure what the point is. is it to excuse the horrible play the first 7 games? last I checked all teams had the same lockout so that is the lamest excuse I ever heard. it certainly doesn't give sporano or ireland a pass in my eyes, if anything it makes them more culpable, since last I check most of the locked out team did not start out 0-7 and some actually played very well to open the year....

Date: November 21, 2011 06:27AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
>> * sign the best F/A RT we can get our hands on

maybe not a good idea----I think all of those are pretty stinky

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 21, 2011 06:27AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> * sign the best F/A RT we can get our hands on

"F/A RT"...those 4 letters shouldn't be put together in that order. It reminds me too much of Dan Henning...the old FART we used to have at OC.

Date: November 21, 2011 07:53AM

The lock out was a symptom.

The coaching staff/players are the root cause.

Do not work on the symptoms if you want real improvement.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 21, 2011 08:20AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 09:59AM

1) Lots of new faces a critical spots, both our starting RB's gone, new center,

2) The Defense wasnt together this offseason like the offense was. The offense was united and playing together under Henne during lockout. Although we didnt have Reggie Bush or Pouncey in the mix at that point with them.

3) We had a shorten offseason, where Dansby had no idea that he should be studying the defense better, and be able to know it well enough to be the mike line backer calling all the plays. Not to mention the guy wh would be supporting him had never done it either or played one single snap in Nolans system.

4) The lack of conditioning showed with players at key spots, Dansby, Davis, are our 2 best players off the ball on defense, and both were injured coming into the start of the season with groin and hamstring injuries, mainly attributed to lack of conditioning, pushing yourself to hard before you are ready, and dehydration in the muscles...

5) The Failure for Ireland to shore up the offensive line properly, with the best talent available at guard and tackle. Instead he expected the coaches to be able to coach players up beyound their previous talent level, with no offseason, and a cba that cut the practice schedule in half...

To me it was just a bad offseason for our team, I dont think Ireland thought anymore into it, then Reggie Bush to make Ross happy, give him a big name to promote, Burnett, to get Crowder out of the building, a guy that Ireland did not like but Tony loved... Ireland sent Crowder a text message telling him he was cut, never said another word to him.... Rumor was a couple of Captains and ranking members on the defense, went up to Ireland office to raise hell, and there was some issues within the locker room right after it happened...
I think alot of that resentment boiled over into the defense towards Ireland and ultimately the organization....
TOny kept them together, didnt lose his cool, lead by example, and the team found its inspiration in the strength Tony was showing, why do you think the team gave Coach Sparano, the game ball after the first victory.... The team felt he deserved it the most for how he lead them and handle the pressure and criticism of certain doom... As bad as it was for them it was ten times worse for the Head Coach, and yet he didnt complain or waiver, he just stood up there and lead by his own actions....

Date: November 21, 2011 10:37AM

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 05:38PM

gonna have to draft a RT. some good guards available though. need to replace either carey or incognito and keep whichever does not get replaced. im leaning toward keeping carey and replacing incognito

i don't like the idea of switching Smith to FS. he can't tackle but FS is a problem.

stud FS are very hard to find. only about 3 in the league that are truly elite.

Reed, polamalu, nick collins (and possibly eric berry)

it will be difficult for the phins to get one since there is probably no FS even worthy of a 1st round pick in the draft

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 21, 2011 05:42PM

When a player admits to losing over 20 pounds since the season started, the lack of off season conditioning from mini camps & OTA's is clearly evident.

Unfortunately, it appears that just about this whole team of players considered the Lockout an extended vacation. For other teams, their players were better disciplined and committed to winning football games. Apparently the leadership on this team amongst the players to mentor each other was completely nonexistent.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 22, 2011 04:25AM

If lockout is code for Chad Henne and actually playing some good teams at the start of the season, then yes.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:16AM

Date: November 22, 2011 07:05AM

I do not accept a team playing well after loosing the first 7 games. The team is completely irrelevent becasue of its performance in the first 7 games.

Why did the Patriots not have CBs gasping for air or cramping up in the first game - like our self proclaimed best CB tandom in the league?

Yes the team is working better now, but that is like saying to a dying cancer patient, the band aid is sticking on your blistered big toe just right now, so things are so much better for you.

Wake up people.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 22, 2011 09:28AM

That would be sweet.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 10:43AM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
> I do not accept a team playing well after loosing
> the first 7 games. The team is completely
> irrelevent becasue of its performance in the first
> 7 games.
>
> Why did the Patriots not have CBs gasping for air
> or cramping up in the first game - like our self
> proclaimed best CB tandom in the league?
>
> Yes the team is working better now, but that is
> like saying to a dying cancer patient, the band
> aid is sticking on your blistered big toe just
> right now, so things are so much better for you.
>
> Wake up people.

You Wake Up People! You are bitter and want to hold someone accountable for uncertainty. That is plain foolish... We have gutted the team 3 or 4 times over the last 7-9 years, and it has gotten us nowhere and guranteed nothing but more uncertainty... Wake Up! Keeping a talent group together and playing well, probably the smartest move the team can make.... But destroying the team becasue they started 0-7 after a lockout and no OTA's or conditioning... Foolish.... THis year was extenuating circumstances, circumstances that will not happen again for at least ten years.. To not acknowledge it's affect and that it is outside the norm of what teams normally have to deal with... Sparano solidifed the team, it is together and strong, I like it, havent seen it in a long time.... Not time to throw it away, becasue you want to be dramatic, see heads roll to satisfy the masses.....
I just cant believe you guys are really fans, when you are so upset with the recent success of our team, and root against the coaches and regime.... Sorry but it is lost in thought, and has zero practicallity behind it IMO. SO as I said before, Wake Up might be needed for you not those your words were original directed...

Date: November 22, 2011 10:59AM

The Patsies ran a hurry up offense and our DB's were not in shape because of a lack of off-season conditioning...because of the LOCKOUT.

We did, however put up over 400 yards of offensive production against the Patsies.

Did anyone notice that Offense was well ahead of defenses at the beginning of this season? This is entirely abnormal. Apart from the Lockout season, it is completely normal for NFL defenses to be ahead of NFL offenses.

The Lockout had and is having a clear impact on this season. Let us not pretend otherwise. Our defense was not up to speed and our new offense with new starters were simply not ready for prime time.

However, I'd put this current team up against the Patsies any day of the week.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 22, 2011 02:19PM

People also forget that we almost beat the Pat's week one...the game was close unitl the fouth quarter. With just a break or two we could have come away with a win in that game. How would that have effected the rest of the season?

Our offense was set back by the short off season and our defense was set way back...those were circumstances we could not control. The one's we could were the poor conditioning, lack of cohesion, lack of communication, and mental state. Those are where the coaches let everyone down, the players let everyone down by not being up for the Pat's...if you can't be up mentally for the Pat's week one knowing a win or good showing could set you up to win the division...you have issues with motivation as a player. Some of our players like Marshall, do IMHO.

Honestly, I'm "starting" to lean toward keeping Sparano if we can't get Gruden as a replacement. I think Fisher might not be an immediate improvement (without another team re-vamp, which I don't want to sit through.) And I'm not sure if Cowher's heart is still in it enough to see the job through to the end.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 22, 2011 03:27PM

Date: November 22, 2011 04:28PM

I don't know how to make this any more simplistic...

The Lockout inhibited our ability to practice as a team with the coaches.

We had a new offensive coach with a new offensive system.
We had 5 to 7 new starters/positions on offense. (Bush, Thomas, Clay, Pouncey (rookie center), Vernon Carey (Right Guard), Mark Columbo, Matt Moore)

Injuries to Jake Long (not near 100% at beginning of season), rookie RB Thomas, DB's - Clemons, Davis, Smith...

New starting defensive interior LB and instability at the free safety position.

These aren't excuses for failure. These are facts of readiness. This shortened off-season made us less ready for prime time as compared to a full offseason of training/competition/& getting into physical shape to play at the current aggressive level of our team design.

Of course the lockout put this team behind as it also effected many other teams that were making considerable changes. This is reality.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 22, 2011 04:51PM

The key is your last sentence Jim B. When I looked at the Patriots play Monday night, I observed so many new names playing.

Injuries befall all teams. Player personnel changes are usually as much in all teams as it is in one.

If you want to do the same in-depth analysis of all the other 31 teams as you (obviously as you should being a Dolphin fan) have done with the Dolphins, come back with some comparative statistics.

But if your point is that the lockout hit us harder than most other teams, then you have to have done that comparative analysis in order for anyone to think that you've stumbled upon something. Also, coaching changes happen on teams as well.

Date: November 22, 2011 05:38PM

SF had a brand new coach and system and the same lockout. how'd that work out for them? trying to blame the team's woes on the lockout is, frankly, embarrassing.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.