HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Berk's "Silver lining" response--split into new thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Berk's "Silver lining" response--split into new thread
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:23AM

keepers on this team

OL

long
pouncey
that's it

WR
gates
bess
(marshall not good enough for the $$ and headaches he brings)
that's it

RB
thomas
that's it

QB
no one

DL
solai (depending on $$ and if we are a 3-4 next year)
odrick
langford (see solai)
mcdaniels or starks (for depth, neither are anything special)

LB
dansby (should be asked to take pay cut)
misi (move him to ILcool smiley
wake (legit star but we'll need to pay him)
that's it

DB
davis
smith (both are coming up on contract years and may want more that we will pay, so one could be gone if no both)
bell (on his last legs though)
that's it

really a thin team after 4 years of rebuilding.

anyone additions/subtractions to this list? I was being generous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 08:36AM by JC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Berk's "Silver lining" response--split into new thread
Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:39AM

I thought this was a good topic to split into a new thread, so I...split it into a new thread.

I mostly agree with Berk's list until he got to Smith. Meh....Maybe sign him at a bargain and hope he gets beaten out into second string during the next camp, but I'm disappointed in him overall.

Henne, I'd offer to re-sign as a backup for backup$. But some other team will grab him as a starter, I'm convinced.

I'd also keep Fields and Carpenter.

Date: October 25, 2011 09:17AM

if you listen to omar kelly, sean smith is going to be the highest paid DB in the league next year b/c he's so amazing and we won't be able to afford him. not sure what he's smoking but I'd like some.

agreed re the punter--he's awesome and our mvp sadly. carpenter is fine. I'd resign henne as backup but I just think there's too much bad history for that to happen. new regime will want to flush out the face of the old one.

I can't beleive how thin we are on OL after 4 years of high picks and FA signings. no young up and comers, no quality depth and only 2 legit starters. To me that did this regime in more than anything else, next to QB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 09:17AM by berkeley223.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 25, 2011 10:19AM

Sadly, I think you are being generous.

I think whoever is the coach/GM will keep Marshall just to see if they can straighten him out. I personally would keep Hartline. I don't know if you left out TE on purpose, but I'd keep Fasano. I think our OL doesn't allow for his talent to be turned to maximum value. He's not top-tier, but him as our TE is far from our biggest problem.

I have more trouble on D. I simply don't understand the difference between this and last year. Crowder and Clemons are it in terms of personnel, though injuries and cramping and whatnot have caused some untimely outages. I just can't bring myself to believe that C&C were that much of a difference over Jones and Burnett. So, which is our real D...last year's top 5, or this year's bottom 5 with roughly the same personnel?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 25, 2011 10:27AM

ILB and FS...that's the middle of the D. Those are the QBs of the defense. Yes, if you lose those guys your defense could fall on its face the same way the offense in Indy has falling without Peyton Manning.

Date: October 25, 2011 10:38AM

but crowder and clemons were average at best. it's is just incredible to me that their absence could make such a big difference on a D that otherwise returned all its starters and had played in the same system the year before. there's gotta be more to it.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 25, 2011 10:43AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but crowder and clemons were average at best. it's
> is just incredible to me that their absence could
> make such a big difference on a D that otherwise
> returned all its starters and had played in the
> same system the year before. there's gotta be more
> to it.

It may be due to 2 things:

1. They were better than we gave them credit for
2. The guys we have are THAT much worse.

Date: October 25, 2011 10:55AM

yep. also I see big regression in players:

misi
starks
wake not as dominant but still he's playing well enough
both CBs not around the ball nearly as much
YB a step slower
others too....

Posted by: realist ()
Date: October 25, 2011 05:12PM

Here's the problem with what we are trying to do.

BAD COACHING!

We all agree that the coaches have done a poor job of 'developing' talent on our roster.

Many of us have pointed out that our rejects turn into starters for other teams and other teams 'gems' turn into duds once they get here.

SO....we have a lot of undeveloped talent on our roster. I don't mean un-motivated, or improperly used...I mean developed as in technique, tactics, recognition, keys and cues. the stuff that allows an older vet whose lost a step to keep on playing at a high level because they know more. we don't have that anymore. JT and Yeremiah Bell are the last of the 'coached up' players.

I see Sean Smith, Richie Incognito, Jimmy Wilson, Jared Odrick as guys who have the tools to become dominant at their spot but have been getting by on their natural ability.

Clay looks like he could be a unique talent...if he's coached right and used right.

In the end...a new coach has to come in and work with the guys before he can decide who needs to go. But that is a rare luzury...so....once again...we will see tha Pats pick up one of our cast-offs and turn him into a starter that contributes for 5 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.