HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Teaching tool for DBs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Teaching tool for DBs
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 19, 2011 05:34AM

I've been on Sean Smith's back because of his apparent inability to intercept anything. Think about the guy, I have a teaching tool recommendation for the Dolphin coaches.

When you have a youngster that is learning how to throw and catch, you work with him until he gets the mechanics down. When I was a kid my dad worked with me (baseball) telling me to catch with two hands. It worked.

Applying that rudimentary principle, take Sean Smith and get him on the field running WR routes, and have Sage Rosenfels, through him balls. My baseball coaches, busted my chops in college, throwing me baseballs over my head and having me run them down. It was exhausting, I didn't like being singled out to do this, but it sure made me keep a better eye on the ball as well as getting a faster jump on it. It improved my skills.

Same applies to Smith. Make him catch. Throw the ball over his head, make him go for it. Practice his butt off.

If the coaches aren't already doing this--it isn't enough of a workout.

Do the same with Wilson and Carroll.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teaching tool for DBs
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:25AM

The funny thing about this is that Sean Smith was a WR in high school and also his first year at Utah. He has plenty of experience as a receiver. But, it's quite apparent why Utah moved him to DB. He has no ball skills.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:55AM

How did this guy ever pass the eyeball test and even wind up on our draft board??
Just watching him from TV the last 2 1/2 years, I see that he's soft, lackadaisical, and can't catch a football to save his life. How does that scream 3rd round pick?? To me that screams UDFA at best!
Also noticed he can't block a punt flyer worth a damn either. Seems to give up 3/4 of the way down the field and just yells "look out"!!

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:17AM

Smith's lack of development might be a character issue, but I attribute it more to the woeful coaching we have had on this team over the past 2 and a half years. (the one half year with Parcells on the field as an overseer was ok).

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: October 19, 2011 07:18AM

What we need are naturals at each position. Not good athletes, not good talkers, we need someone who has the feel for the game at each position.

We do not need any more role players that make one decent play and celebrate with some stupid dance after 10 poor plays.

That is what everyone of the dolphins players do. When I see Mr. Wake stretch his little chest out after a sack all I can think of is where the hell were you on the last 10 plays Mr. I got all eaten up by a rookie in game one this year.

Pride in your game...BLOW IT OUT YOUR A$$. You have not earned the priveledge of celebration Mr. Oh and 5.

GO Miami!!!

SUCK FOR LUCK!!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:00AM

Smith is actually a very capable CB, but he does have that one glaring weakness. I agree with toko. It's a coaching problem.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 19, 2011 10:28AM

Being a former WR was an experiment at the HS level and it result was a switch to DB. Smith needs to be pushed and pushed (ala drill sgt) to teach him better ball hawking. The coaches need to practice with him over and over until he gets it.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: October 19, 2011 04:14PM

Jason Allen who was never developed while in Miami currently has 24 tackles and 2 INT's with the Texans.

Sean Smith is just as raw now as he was when we drafted him. Actually he is more tentative...almost invisible.

Smith was projected to become a FS in the NFL and I think they should give that a shot. Having it all hapen in front of him would allow him to use his athletic ability. Right now....he is a BIG Athletic non-factor.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:27PM

I was calling for him to be a FS since we drafted him.
He is a more natural fit at that position.
Needs to get a lot more physical.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:49PM

More broadly, can anyone name a single player in the past decade (ok, last few years) on the Phins team that has developed significantly while with the team? It's bigger than Sean Smith, though he's a glaring example. Whether attitude or skill development, there's an overall issue with getting better. I was about to put Henne out there as the example (and his rating this year is lower than it should be with Marshall dropping TDs every single game), but the fact that he's MAYBE the poster child for development...in a season with no official off-season coaching...is pathetic.

Maybe Bess or Hartline, though that's arguable. Certainly no one on the OL or in the backfield.

On defense, it's like our DL is about as good as they're going to get when they walk in the door as rookies.

OK - Soliai comes to mind, though he's seemingly regressed this year.

Meanwhile, our coach scratches his head in every post-game conference wondering why the players don't perform better on the field. To me, it's pretty obvious that they're not compelled to get any better over time, so to think that they'll switch it on for game day and 'get better' immediately is lunacy. And, perhaps the number one skill that's missing across the board is 'want to'.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 20, 2011 02:28AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason Allen who was never developed while in Miami
> currently has 24 tackles and 2 INT's with the
> Texans.
>
No kidding!! How many Ints did he have when he started for us last year?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 20, 2011 03:57AM

Yeremiah Bell developed very well. He was a special teamer when he started off.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 21, 2011 10:01AM

Not a bad example, but I was thinking of developing into a quality starter at his position...not someone who simply can't cover TEs and doesn't hold onto enough interceptions. YB plays with good heart and is better than when he came into the league...so I guess he's a good example, but I'm not happy with his play the past couple of years.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:39PM

I think Bell made the Pro Bowl a couple years back...

dude is over-the-hill now, of course he cant cover TE's.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.