HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Grades through 3 games
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Grades through 3 games
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 28, 2011 02:37PM

From profootballfocus.com.

No surprise here, but we continue to rank as the worst pass blocking team in the NFL. Marc Colombo earned a -6.1 for his performance agains the Browns, which is colossally bad. He allowed an amazing 8 QB pressures in that one game.

We rank as the 6th best run blocking team.

We rank as the worst run defending team in the league.

We also rank dead last as the worst pass coverage team in the NFL.

For the record, when you are last in run defense and pass coverage, that's not a good sign.

Chad Henne ranks 5th best among QB, behind Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and FItzpatrick.

Daniel Thomas ranks 22nd among RB. Reggie Bush is 53rd.

Brandon Marshall is 17th among WR, while Hartline is 19th. Marshall is 2nd in the league in dropped passes.

Marc Colombo ranks 68th overall among OT, and 70th in pass protection. He leads the league in QB pressures allowed. And for the record, this is pretty much exactly how he ranked last season.

Jake Long is 41st among OT, with slightly negative overall grades in both run blocking and pass blocking.

Vernon Carey is 51st overall among G. Richie Incognito is 65th overall. Carey is 72nd overall in pass blocking, while Incognito is 69th.

Mike Pouncey is 5th overall among Centers.

Randy Starks is 3rd among 3-4 DEs, while Kendall Langford is 22nd.

Paul Soliai is 24th among DT.

Cam Wake is 3rd among OLB, while Misi is 17th, and JT is 21st.

Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett are 48th and 49th among ILB. For the record, only 49 ILB have played enough snaps to qualify, so they grade out as the worst two ILB in the league.

Sean Smith is 46th among CB, with Vontae Davis at 54th, and Nolan Carroll is #100.

Yeremiah Bell is 58th at Safety, with Reshad Jones at 61st.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grades through 3 games
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:13PM

Wow. We have a league leading RT!! Way to go Ireland!! drinking smiley

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:14PM

LOL at Henne being 5th.

Its obvious how sometimes stats are misleading.

Like Henne not leading us to wins.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Deigol090 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:26PM

Henne has played well however his fades need work and are getting better, however our wr's need to get open, however Henne doesnt have the time to wait for them to get open.

Date: September 28, 2011 03:56PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL at Henne being 5th.
>
> Its obvious how sometimes stats are misleading.
>

That's what makes the profootballfocus.com grades interesting, they aren't based on stats at all. Each player is merely graded on what he did on each play.

Date: September 29, 2011 02:24PM

Then I would junk profootballfocus, then.

---------------------

Date: September 29, 2011 02:25PM

ESPN's QB rating system has Chad Henne ranked #20.

---------------------

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 29, 2011 05:24PM

Worst in the league in pass blocking.
Worst in the league in pass defense.
Worst in the league in run defense.
Obviously a first round franchise QB will solve all of our problems. I'm amazed that everybody can't see that. confused smiley

Date: September 29, 2011 06:18PM

Your right, it wont.

But, it is the first building block for a franchise.

---------------------

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:56PM

Posted by: Deigol090 ()
Date: September 30, 2011 02:38AM

If Henne would stop getting overworked in crunch time and slow down a tad I think he would be top ten, however he gets flustered easy when the heat is on.

Date: September 30, 2011 08:53AM

Deigol090 Wrote:
> If Henne would stop getting overworked in crunch
> time and slow down a tad I think he would be top
> ten, however he gets flustered easy when the heat
> is on.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
And that right there is a very bad sign. Those things are natural to great QB's. It cant be taught. It has to be natural. And he obviously doesnt have it.

---------------------

Date: October 05, 2011 02:02PM

Through 4 games, the Fins are still the worst graded pass blocking team, the worst run defending team, and the worst pass coverage team.

Marc Colombo is no longer alone in terms of allowing pressure. Atlanta's Sam Baker is now tied with Colombo, with both having allowed 23 combined sacks, hits, and pressures.

Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett are still the worst graded ILBs in the league.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 05, 2011 02:26PM

The Dolphins as an organization are Broken

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 05, 2011 02:39PM

Without knowing anything about this rating system, I pretty much had Dansby and Brunett, our "dynamic duo" rated as pretty damn bad. Turns out I was right on. Boy am I sharp! Do I know a lack of talent or what when I see it. I'll bet most of you had it nailed as well. thumbs up

Apparently, we as fans can easily detect poor play. winking smiley The coaches are reluctant to comment to the public on this level of play. So they spin it with a generic, "yes we need to improve." If they start with "I can neither confirm nor deny" we'd all better take cover. smiling bouncing smiley

I'm sure we have yet to see the worst of veteran RT Columbo. As the season wears on this veteran RT is not going to get any better unless he's just in miserable physical shape and the extra practice gets him back on track. Anyone want to speculate on that possibility?

Date: October 06, 2011 04:32AM

colonel Wrote:
> I'm sure we have yet to see the worst of veteran
> RT Columbo. As the season wears on this veteran RT
> is not going to get any better unless he's just in
> miserable physical shape and the extra practice
> gets him back on track. Anyone want to speculate
> on that possibility?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll bet on that.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 06, 2011 05:17AM

henne ranks fifth????

so where does he ranks in comeback victories?

Date: October 06, 2011 05:38AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> henne ranks fifth????
>
> so where does he ranks in comeback victories?

Wouldn't he actually have to have one before he could make the list?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 06, 2011 05:40AM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > henne ranks fifth????
> >
> > so where does he ranks in comeback victories?
>
> Wouldn't he actually have to have one before he
> could make the list?

Oh he is a nfl qb..........He will make the list but rank dead last because hes never had any.

Date: October 06, 2011 06:23AM

I will never spend one F'n second on that statistical website. It is obviously full of nonsense and a pile of poop.

For it to honestly have Chad Henne ranked 5th, is the most bogus thing I have ever seen.

Chad Henne is in the bottom 5 of all starters in the NFL. And everybody can see that.....well, except Mark....who is still riding Henne's dong.

---------------------

Date: October 06, 2011 07:09AM

Henne's not top 5, nor is he bottom 5. He's somewhere in the middle...the mediocre middle. Now that it's obvious he's played his last down for Miami, I'm going to be curious to see where he pops up and how successful he is. My guess is he's going to be come a career backup.

Date: October 06, 2011 11:57AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I will never spend one F'n second on that
> statistical website. It is obviously full of
> nonsense and a pile of poop.
>
> For it to honestly have Chad Henne ranked 5th, is
> the most bogus thing I have ever seen.
>
> Chad Henne is in the bottom 5 of all starters in
> the NFL. And everybody can see that.....well,
> except Mark....who is still riding Henne's dong.

Statistics and football are a difficult combination. It's not like baseball, where you can compare apples to apples. That's what makes profootballfocus.com such an interesting site. It's not based on statistics. They watch every play of every game, and each individual player is given a grade of -2.0 to +2.0 on each play. The vast majority of plays are graded between a -0.5 and a +0.5. Exceptionally good or bad plays earn higher or lower grades. This is much like how teams grade the players when they watch film.

So, the thing to remember is that if an individual player does his job, he gets a positive grade. For example, when Chad Henne throws that pass against Houston, the nice touch pass to the endzone that Marshall flat out dropped, that play hurts Henne in the NFL passer rating in multiple ways. It hurts his completion percentage. It hurts his yards per attempt. And it hurts his percentage of TDs. These are all factors that go into the NFL passer rating. But, with pff, Henne earns a postive grade for that play. He did his job. And their grading system reflects that. This is the same for the new ESPN Total QB rating. Henne ranks 12th among QBs at profootballfocus.com, and he ranks 9th in the new ESPN Total QB Rating.

All of Henne's 4 interceptions hurt him in NFL passer rating. But, 3 of them aren't that relevant. The one against the Pats came on a desperation throw on the last play of the game. The one against Houston came when he got hit as releasing. The one against the Chargers came on a play where he got hit as he threw (yes, you could clearly see the wobble on the pass when he couldn't finish his follow through). With pff, and the ESPN system, those plays don't really hurt Henne. So, you can see why his rating his better than the average person may think.

If anyone thinks that Chad Henne has been our main problem on offense, they are way off. The pass protection of the o-line is the worst in the league. And Brandon Marshall is a huge problem. If he catches those 3 redzone TD passes, no one would be talking about our redzone issues. And he dictates that the offense flows through him. It throws off the rhythm of the offense by being forced to cater to your diva reveiver.

Henne had played really well for us in 2011. You would be hard pressed to point out many throws that were really dangerous on his part. By comparison, Moore had 4 passes that could have been INTs on Sunday. And after the drive that Moore finished when he first came in on Sunday, the Chargers put 8 and 9 guys in the box and run blitzed consistently on 1st and 2nd down. They were daring us to throw because they didn't respect the passing game. And that is not something we had seen much of this season. We will see it a lot going forward.

I was very disappointed in the last series of the Cleveland game. It was an easy chance for Henne to pull out a win. But, I can't hang it all on him, either. The playcalls were extremely curious, to say the least. That was a chance for Henne, and one that he did not take advantage of. But, for the most part, his play in the early going of the season was solid, especially considering the woeful o-line. And it is reflected in the pff and ESPN grades. It was clear from the start of the season that more downfield passing was better suited to his skills than the dink and dunk offense Henning ran. And I've been saying that about Henne since he came out of Michigan. I have no doubt that if Henne moves on, he'll be a solid starting QB for some team in this league.

It is extremely easy to blame everything on the QB, but this team's issues run deeper than that. On offense, it starts up front. The pass protection of the line is terrible. Terrible. And that has included Jake Long, who has allowed 4 sacks in 4 games. At pff, not one of our linemen has earned a cumulative positive grade in pass blocking. Brandon Marshall leads the NFL with 6 dropped passes, 4 of which could have been TDs. He is the 35th graded WR. Although, grading out that low is nothing really new for Marshall, but we are the team stupid enough to pay him like he's a top 5 WR. The poor play of the o-line has forced the team to keep the TEs in to block, as well as the RBs. That's been a huge reason for the struggle in the redzone, and a huge reason of why Bush has not been involved in the passing game the last 3 weeks. If Jake Long rounds into form, and they replace Marc Colombo with someone resembling starter level talent, the play of the QB, whoever it is, and the entire offense, will be improved.

With a new offense going in this year, it was going to be imperative for the defense to carry us early on. It can take 5-6 weeks of the regular season for a new offense to get their entire installation complete. And it takes that long for everyone to get on the same page. So, it was going to be up to our defense to carry us until the offense had time to come together. And the defense has been the worst in the NFL. That is a huge disappointment. And another big reason we are 0-4.

Date: October 07, 2011 06:23AM

Again, sometimes reality has to be reality, and Chad Henne is/was in the bottom 10-20% of starting QB's in this league.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.