HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Playing "Not to Lose"
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Playing "Not to Lose"
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 25, 2011 11:40AM

I am so sick of this. We have been playing "not to lose" for 15 years now. Jimmy Johnson started this crap about keeping the game close, and winning it in the 4th quarter. He passed it along to Dave Wannstedt, who used to state that philosophy as his mantra. Nick Saban, a defensive coach, played it the same way. And Sparano has taken that same conservative approach that he learned under Parcells and Coughlin. For 15 years, how many times have we played it conservative on offense late in the game, handing it over to the defense to protect a lead of 7 points or less? And then the defense folds when it matters? Or the other offense makes a lucky play? Or an offical blows a call? Or someone gets called for a ticky tack penalty? And it costs us the game? When you are up by a TD or less, you are one unlucky play away from blowing the game. And time after time, we have played it the same away. And it doesn't work.

I like a lot about Sparano. But, we need a mentality on offense of putting the pedal to the floor and scoring as many points as possible. When you settle for 51 yard FG attempts, you are not handling it correctly. Now, it's not all on Sparano. He's not fumbling in the redzone (Bush) or dropping his 3rd TD pass in 3 games (Marshall). But, even with those miscues, there was no reason for this to be a close game today. We need a young, confident, aggressive coach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Playing "Not to Lose"
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 25, 2011 12:30PM

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: September 25, 2011 12:35PM

I like comparing this team to the New York Giants. They have an inconsistent QB, a questionable OL, and a defense that has trouble getting off the field. The difference is that the Giants SCORE TOUCHDOWNS. They take chances trying to score points.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: September 25, 2011 12:58PM

I totally agree....there should have never been a last drive for we should have ran away with this game wayyyyyyyyyy before it got there....yardage and TOP was like 2-1 or even 3-1 and we still dont score those TDs....we internally are as self destructive physically and mentally as any team can be....we are our own worst enemy!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 25, 2011 03:49PM

I 100% agree with you, Mark.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.