HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Player evals
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Player evals
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 01, 2011 06:51PM

I have read some stuff suggested that Lydon Murtha could be plugged in at RT. I haven't seen him play that much and was just wondering about his potential. Is he a backup that will be forced to play RT cuz Colombo sucks? Or is he someone with quality starter potential that is just slower to develop than other players?

Also wondering about the FS battle. Obviously two 5th round guys are battling it out but I am wondering about how good the winner will really be. Are we just talking about the winner being an average player or could the winner be a quality starter with Yeremiah Bell potential. That is Pro Bowl potential on a great year otherwise just a quality starter.

If the FS winner can be a quality starter then that will go a long way to solidifying the secondary moving forward. Otherwise another draft pick will at some point be invested in finding a FS of the future.

Also, if Murtha can be a quality starter then we will have solid bookend OT for the next decade and the only missing piece to the OL puzzle is a OG with an ability to pull.

I am just wondering about these guys because they could really solidify the roster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Player evals
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:23PM

Murtha was a turnstile at RT last season. actually, I thought that until Pat McQuistan was forced to play RT. Mcquistan was a turnstile, while Murtha just wasn't that good. But, by all accounts, he has held his own at LT during practices this summer. And he has played ok in games, except for a proclivity to commit penalties. Murtha is exceptionally athletic. Coming out of Nebraska, he ran a 4.89 40 at the combine, and led all linemen in the short shuttle and 3-cone drill. But, he had a hard time staying healthy at Nebraska, and wasn't drafted until the 7th round because he needed to gain strength and people said he played soft. He was considered a workout warrior. Maybe after a couple of offseasons, he's built up that strength, and is ready to contribute. He probably has more upside than people give him credit for. But, you do have to worry about the tendency to get injured. Especially considering he got injured late last season, and is injured right now.

It's hard to say at FS. Teams think you can find safeties later in the draft, so you can't downgrade Jones and Clemons just because they were 5th rounders. Clemons is really fast. But, doesn't have good ball skills. Jones appeared to show some big play potential last year. I don't think we're going to know anything here until at least a few games in.

Re: Player evals
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:47PM

alright, thanks for the analysis. Sounds like Murtha could be good but he is not someone I would count on. As for FS, it would be great if Clemons could make some plays and Jones could be kept to groom as Bell's replacement. Or it would just be great if one of them turned into a productive player.

Also, with Colombo at RT I think some other guys will get their opportunities to play there throughout the season so we might get a better idea down the road?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.