HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          DL
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
DL
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 09:29AM

seems clear we have 6 legit NFL starters on DL

Odrick
Solai
Starks
Langford
Merling
McDaniel

I think we end up trading one---but I don't want to do it just for the sake of doing it, but I want true value---either a high (min 2d rounder) pick or player (starting caliber OG or TE).

Question---who do you think we should trade and what do you think we could get for them? Ironically DEN is decimated on the DL, but now that Orton is off the table do they have anything we want? Please don't say Tebow or Quinn!! I don't think they have any players we need.

Let me amend this by saying while I listed Solai for completeness sake, he is not one of the players I am open to trading, for obvious reasons. More like Merling or Starks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 09:31AM by berkeley223.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DL
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 22, 2011 09:34AM

I'm with you on Merling or Starks. As you mentioned, Soliai isn't going anywhere. Odrick is young and has a HUGE upside, but we have to be confident he can stay healthy. Langford has been a rock on the D-Line since his rookie year, so he won't go.

So, top of my list is Merling or Starks. After that, Odrick, then McDaniel (not sure we'd get much for him).

Date: August 22, 2011 09:38AM

my fear is we make a trade just to do it, and don't maxmize value. E.G. I could see them letting Merling go for a 4th or 5th, just to crate roster room. that would be really short sighted.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 22, 2011 09:46AM

I agree - I wouldn't give any of them away. Everyone has a value, and their value shouldn't be diminished just because of our (one team's supply).

Who is thin @ DE?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:00AM

If one goes it will be merling....the more picks you get in the more ammunition you got to trade up to get luck.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:01AM

Date: August 22, 2011 10:03AM

I didn't realize he was in his last year. even so, I would rather have him on the team for this year than let him go for less than a 3d. I could live with a 3d given his contract status, but would not be happy about it.
no one thought we'd resign mcdaniel either....

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:09AM

Merlings value, is a bit odd, he had the arrest problem and injury last year. SO I would bet Merling wants to play lights out with us this year and then raise his value. If he is traded I doubt he wants to sign a new deal with anyone this year... SO that might slow down his trade probability. Unless as you say someone is willing to pay the man for things he hasnt done yet...
My question is who starts, I have heard rumblings that Langford might not start in the 3-4 anymore... It is Odrick, Solia, STarks..
The 4-3 is either Lanford, Solia, Mcdaniels Odrick. WIth starks playing both end and DT in the 4-3, same with Odrick. They like 4-3 becasue Merling, Mcdaniels, Odrick, Starks, and Solia can all play DT as well as DE in the 4-3

Date: August 22, 2011 10:15AM

ps- sorry for the mistype I dont think SOlia can play DE in the 4-3..lol

Date: August 22, 2011 10:22AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 22, 2011 10:55AM

In this day and age you need all the D-line rotation you can get.

Unless a team offers us a 1st rounder for one of these guys, then sit on them. They make us better.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: August 22, 2011 11:38AM

Anyone have an extra top-shelf TE that they want to trade for a DLineman? Either that or a RT.If not, either a 2nd rounder or we keep them all for this season.

Date: August 22, 2011 01:15PM

If Merling starts to play lights out this year, you resign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and then trade him for a greater value if you want to trade him. You keep the deep rotation and try and increase his value. They like players being in incentive years. Look at Solia they are willing to have him making 12 million this year rather then pay him alot less on a long term deal. That means SOlia is a FA next year as well. I am curious how they handle Merling, but to pick him 32 and give him up on purpose for a third or 4th because you are deep, doesnt sound like the best idea. Lets see if he can regain back some of that value to the team not let him go at his lowest value IMO.

Date: August 22, 2011 02:33PM

Posted by: realist ()
Date: August 22, 2011 04:54PM

They can not afford to sign Soliai to a top5 DT contract, have Jared odrick making 1st round money, and then drive up merling's contract value.

The smart move is to identify who they would like to trade...let's say it is Merling....play him early, showcase him with calling blitzes for him and then trade him for a draft pick.

he does not have a huge contract number so any team could acquire him cheap. Being a starter would be in his best long term interests...so he would sign an incentive laden contract extension.

We have a LOT of depth at DL.

I say grab a 4th rounder if you can. Maybe a conditional pick?

But he is gone after this season...get something for him.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 05:59PM

merling goes for Tebow

Anyone see evan moore grabbing TD's Should have moved Hartlinen for him

Date: August 23, 2011 02:01AM

I am a bit perplexed by some of your answers. You all claim to trade Merling now becasue he is a FA next year and we might as well get something for him...
Just out of curiosity do you guys realize the not only Merling is a FA next year, so is Kendall Langford and Paul Solia. SO that means 3 of the 6 guys listed on our DL, are FA next year. Should we trade them all to get something for them before they are FA, or does that somehow just apply to Merling?
Some guys you take table scraps for and others you dont even mention needs to be addressed. I just cant buy the trade him for 4th becasue of his contract status, when half of our DLine is in the same situation contract wise, yet it is somehow ok not to try and trade them, even though they have much greater value then Merling?
Trading Merling now, would be stupid, you would be trading him at his lowest value. That is like saying buy a stock high, then sell it at its 96 week low, and somehow that is suppose to be smart or a good idea.... Sorry but I dont remotely get that pattern of thinking at all...
Why wouldnt you trade say Langford for a much higher pick and then use Merling to fill the void Langford departure left.... Dumping a guy for cheap becasue you are deep is foolish IMO. Trade some one of value and replace him with your depth or Merling, if that be the case of wanting to thin out the DLine in exchange for draft picks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 02:03AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: CanalByJoeRobbie ()
Date: August 23, 2011 03:45AM

Yeah at this point I say keep them all, I like the deep rotation specially early in the season so we can say fresh. Maybe we get 4th rd or 3rd pk if a team is desperate but they gonna want Langford im betting

Date: August 23, 2011 05:25AM

Date: August 23, 2011 05:30AM

Posted by: CanalByJoeRobbie ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:20AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CanalByJoeRobbie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah at this point I say keep them all, I like
> the
> > deep rotation specially early in the season so
> we
> > can say fresh. Maybe we get 4th rd or 3rd pk if
> a
> > team is desperate but they gonna want Langford
> im
> > betting
>
> And I want to date a super model...so what? Who
> cares what they want?
>
> Langford's not on the block. We are negotiating a
> long term deal with him.
>
> Merling should be on the block since he will get
> us a mid round draft pick and we aren't going to
> offer him Langford money.
>
> If I call someone to offer Merling in a deal and
> they say they want Langford, I'll listen to their
> offer. But unless they offer an ABSURD amount of
> draft picks for him I tell them he's not
> available.
>
> Then they either make an offer on Merling or I
> move on to the next team.
>
> the fact that they may want Langford more is
> irrelevant.

Whatever chill you jus made my point...nobody givin up a mid rd pk anyway...merling suxs so who cares about a 6th rd pk...my point is keep'em all...we need bodies...super models overrated

Date: August 23, 2011 06:55AM

Date: August 23, 2011 07:09AM

PF2- I hear where you are coming from, but I just think it is bad policy to buy high and sell low. Merling was pick 32, to trade him for pick 115 doesnt sound like a good idea...
If a team has an injury setback and needs him then I would let him go for a second that is all.
I would rather trade Langford because he at this point has greater value, and just like Merling might not be the starter... SO if we are getting rid of a guy. Langford for a first or second I could live with as well... You bought him for a third and sell him in the first or second that is good plan...
Then take Merling and increase his value and fill the void left by Langfords departure....
At this point the players on the Dline that are making starter money and a good chance the starting lineup against the patriots are Odrick, Starks and Solia... Langford makes third rd money...
SO if you told me a 1st or second for Langford, I like it a 4th-6th for Merling, not a chance... I wouldnt budge off a second or third for Merling, and I am not sure about the third to be honest...

Date: August 23, 2011 07:15AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PF2- I hear where you are coming from, but I just
> think it is bad policy to buy high and sell low.
> Merling was pick 32, to trade him for pick 115
> doesnt sound like a good idea...
Just like my college education means pretty-much NOTHING now (now that I've been in the workforce for quite a few years), where Merling drafted means nothing as well.

> I would rather trade Langford because he at this
> point has greater value,
Langford has also been a solid starter for us since is rookie year. He's offered the most continuity on our D-Line over any other player. The guy is a rock. I want to see him retire a Phin. No way I'd trade him!

Date: August 23, 2011 07:23AM

In life in genral if you buy high and sell low, you go bankrupt... I am not sure how your college education medaphor applies...
Langford wants to get paid big buck and there is a good chance he will not be a starter... Yes I agree he has a strong contribution in the past but that is exactly what gives him value. Merling is coming off an achilles injury and his rookie year, a hernia. So he is slower to develop but I am not cinvinced he cannot be just as good or better then Langford this year... Merling has more to prove. Langford is pissed he hasnt gotten a new deal yet.. Why pay top dollar for Langford to put him on the bench when Merling could be had cheaper with just as much potential upside..

It is all about percieved value vs actuall value... If Langford has higher percieved value, but you believe Merling has the same actual value as Langford, but lower perceived value... It seems like a pretty simple concept to me, but maybe not... Obviously I am putting alot of stock into everybody else but Langford but those are the type of moves you need to make to improve your team, a 4th-6th for Merling is the same old foolish dolphins move... Work smart not hard...

Date: August 23, 2011 07:29AM

I agree with you Crowder. Trading merling for anything less than a 2d (a 3d at worst) is foolish---this guy was a first round pick a few years ago (#32 is really a #1) and hasn't proven yet what he can do.
now if we could deal him for another player like a starting caliber TE or OG, then it makes sense to deal him. but not to sell low on him

Date: August 23, 2011 07:43AM

Date: August 23, 2011 07:45AM

Trading our most consistent DE is not good policy. Why would we bench Langford? So, he's pissed. I have seen no sign that he intends to slack off on the field.

As for the stock metaphor, sometimes you have to cut your losses. We traded Tedd Ginn for far less than we used to draft him, but at least we got SOMETHING for him. If we don't trade Merling this year he'll leave next year and we get NOTHING.

Date: August 23, 2011 07:53AM

but merling is valuable for us this year. what if someone gets injured? I don't want to give up a valuable player for a mid-round pick (ginn on the other hand was useless). if all we're goign to get is a midrounder I say lets keep merling around, who knows, maybe he plays lights out and he's the one we want to resign

Date: August 23, 2011 09:10AM

The truth is Merling is not the car that has been in accident or 2 3 with three years worth of mileage on it. He is the car that blew a fuse on the test drive, and sat in the garage while you played with your other new car. Then you got bored with that car, jumped right back in the your other new car with a new fuse, with no mileage, you burned rubber right out of the gate did realize the tire was low in air, and blew a tire. Then it sat there for another 9 months. Now you got a new tire brought it back slowly, learned your lesson with breaking it in properly, you have it screaming like you knew it always could, No mileage, ready to rock, and you want to go trade it in for a Pinto, before you ever get a real chance to enjoy it and realize its value. You let the patriots or Jets pick it up off the used car lot for a steal, and then watch as they steal all your chicks pimping out in your old ride that you never gave a chance, all because of stupid fuse and flat tire...lol

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.