HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          O line shuffle
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
O line shuffle
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 03, 2011 06:02PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O line shuffle
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:48AM

Honestly thought the same thing...

Only thing I can see is more talent across the board. I still think getting rid of Smiley and Grove when we did was the wrong move at the wrong time.

This year, I think Garner finds his way into a starting role somewhere...just don't know where.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 04, 2011 02:07AM

Expect subpar play...which will lead to more tinkering...and so on...and so on...etc..etc..

Sparano's O-Line philosophy just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: August 04, 2011 04:13AM

Sparano knows his job is on the line (no pun intended). I think he'll be alot more methodical this season.

Date: August 04, 2011 04:38AM

the sad thing he is an oline coach by trade. yet this has been the area which looks to be most negatively affected by poor coaching. when we had good oline coaches here (houck, sandusky) we had much better lines manned by lesser talent (low picks and FAs) than our line of #1 picks and high priced FAs

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 04, 2011 04:40AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the sad thing he is an oline coach by trade. yet
> this has been the area which looks to be most
> negatively affected by poor coaching. when we had
> good oline coaches here (houck, sandusky) we had
> much better lines manned by lesser talent (low
> picks and FAs) than our line of #1 picks and high
> priced FAs

Agreed!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:19AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly thought the same thing...
>
> Only thing I can see is more talent across the
> board. I still think getting rid of Smiley and
> Grove when we did was the wrong move at the wrong
> time.
>
> This year, I think Garner finds his way into a
> starting role somewhere...just don't know where.

Grove? it's been almost a full year since Grove got cut and NOBODY picked him up. I'd have to think that if he didn't land with any other squad last year, PLUS he's not in anyone's camp this year (to my knowledge, I googled it quickly but don't see anything current on him), then he's damaged goods and we had to get rid of him.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:35AM

JC-
I agree something was up with Groves durability. He had a huge cap hit, I didnt like how they got rid of Grove with Berger as the back up, when Samson Satele is still starting in Oakland, was surely better then Berger.. SO to me they F ed up the center position, and last year should never have happend. That is more on Ireland then Sparano though. Also, I have zero faith in our medical staff evaluating injuries. After CUlpepper, Brees fiasco, and then Grove and SMiley, they suck...
SO I am not sure, Sparano has been a bad Oline coach, we dominated at running the ball his first year as coach.
The Grove, SMiley, Daniel Thomas injuries, and John Jerry weight issues, are not really Sparanos fault. Personell having inuries worse then realized and being signed is on the GM and medical staff. Players injuries and not coming back or staying in proper shape, is hard to put on Sparano as well.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 04, 2011 11:08AM

To my knowledge, Grove played last during a MIA preseason game last year. I am not privy to any inside information about him, but I don't know how the team gets well into training camp and preseason the year after he's hurt and then figures out that he's too bad to keep...AND has Berger as the best possible replacement we could get our hands on (apparently).

Smiley apparently had a tough time staying healthy in JAX last year.

Perhaps medical snafus were to blame for both.

I forgot that Donald Thomas was also cut and eventually landed in Detroit.

It didn't help that Garner went on IR on 8/31/10.

My point wasn't necessarily that they were the right answer for our line long term or even for the entire 2010 season. It was that all three of them were with the Phins into the preseason and then let go...on a team that rushed incredibly effectively in 2010...with apparently no real plan for their replacement (I call McQuestionmark, Murtha, Berger and Feinga no real plan). If Grove couldn't play to his normal ability, it shouldn't have taken until that point to figure it out. Smiley ended up playing for JAX at the beginning of the season. Thomas played last season. The interior of the OL was gutted at seemingly the last possible moment. You just don't do that. Get rid of Grove and his salary if he just absolutely can't move or push or whatever. Keep Smiley and Thomas for continuity or almost just so you don't have to plug in McQuistan when Jerry doesn't work out like you want him to.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:09PM

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 12:37PM by eesti.

Date: August 04, 2011 01:10PM

Sparano admitted he made a mistake with the line last year and vowed to stop tinkering so late in the season. He said he will tinker early and get positions set and leave it alone for the most part.

There was absolutely no choice but to "tinker" or change the line from last year. They were terrible and inconsistent due to injuries AND average personnel.

The way it shakes out IMO....

Long at LT
Incognito at LG (possible battle with O Hara)
Pouncey at C (and stays there no matter who we sign)
Carey at RG
Battle between Garner and Columbo ( Sparano says Garner can play all positions but views him as a natural tackle)

Both Columbo and Garner are coming off injuries.

I still think we need competition at LG and am hoping for O Hara.

.....................................................................................

Date: August 04, 2011 01:40PM

isn't ohara a center? doesn't sound like we're signing him anyway

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:45PM

Date: August 04, 2011 05:12PM

3 time Pro Bowl Center but is getting on in age. Would be great to have two vets on either side of rookie center.

O Hara may prefer to stay at C and go elsewhere. Prob a pretty good demand for a starting PB C.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:19PM

Sounded like Colombo had a rough first practice, allowing sacks on back to back plays. Picking up right where he left off in 2010.

Date: August 04, 2011 05:46PM

DAL had a bad Oline last year and if they cut Columbo it's a safe bet he was a big reason. pretty questionable that we put him immediately as RT starter and move Carey's position as a result. Hopefully if it's not working out Sporano switches back ASAP so we don't have any last min shuffling at the end of the preseason like last year

Date: August 04, 2011 06:12PM

I wonder how Garner is doing...and where he is playing. I am worried about Columbo as a starter!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.