HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Some positive news on the labor front
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some positive news on the labor front
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 04:45AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some positive news on the labor front
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 07:20AM

So there is still hope.

Good.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: June 13, 2011 07:42AM

I've been optimistic ever since the not so "secret" meetings outside Chicago, it seems that both sides are more willing to do a deal now that trng camp and the season is getting closer. All will be forgotten if they get something done in the next month or so.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 07:44AM

I think the best sign is that Goodell and De Smith had dinner alone, that is the where the deal will be done IMO... De Smith doesnt want to go down in history as the Union leader who made a misstep and gave up the farm, that they hold tightly for so long... Goodell doesnt want to be the evil bad guy that took away football..
These guys while they might despise each other, must find that they are married to each other no matter what happens... They have to have mutual respect for the position they both are in collectively, and to truely not want to see the other guy gutted. If they find that respect, a deal will get done, if they dont, we will wait until they do... De Smith, hasnt shown me that type of resolve up to this point, but this dinner meeting sounds like he might be getting it...

Date: June 13, 2011 08:27AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 08:29AM

man, they are arguing over something like 5%. split the difference already!

Date: June 13, 2011 08:49AM

Berk- 5 percent of 9 billion plus is alot of money.... It sounds small but 5 percent of 9 billion is around 450 million dollars.... The owners only asked for a billion, so that is half the money they are arguing over. Not sure if that is looked at by peanuts by either side...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 08:54AM by Crowder52.

Date: June 13, 2011 09:00AM

it's a lot of money, sure, but given the total amount at stake and what is at stake if an agreement is not reached, and soon, it is time to make a deal. a "good" agreement is one where neither side is totally happy.

ps the players have a potential 700mm recovery kicking around there with Judge Doty's ruling on the TV contract. Now they may not get that full amount from him/and or the 8th Cir may reverse Doty, but that is a huge bargaining chip. The players waive their claim to that, the nfl splits the difference more or less on the 5% issue, and we are done.

Date: June 13, 2011 09:15AM

Date: June 13, 2011 09:17AM

Here is what I am understanding, the drop dead date for a season to exist is somewhere around July4-10. They could have a month long camp or so to prepare for the first preseason game, the Rookies take the brunt of it and are hurt the most... Cause they miss all the time they normally get alone with coaches...

It sounds like both sides realize, the fact of the matter, if they miss a preseason game, they are both arguing over a smaller gross number, every game that is missed both sides get less for 2011 as well as tarnished the brand and piss off the fans... That is bad for players with short NFL lifespans, and owners with huge liabilities... THe smartest thing for both sides would be to get a deal done by this date.... I just worry, why wait until then, if both sides are confident a deal will happen by this date. Every predictor in and around the NFL says, by July we will have a deal.... I understand the thought process behind the predictions but, when has either side been logical till now? SO predictors are using logic to analyze what has been an emotional event till this point...
Goodell and De Smith are where this deal lies.
Here is the argument the players should be making IMO, the one they are making is a loser in PR.... The argument they should be making, is that it is not the players fault that some teams make money hand over fist and others struggle with debt... The owners need to find a better balance among themselves to protect each teams profitabily. Instead of owners looking with in their own group to balance the scales they have looked to the players.... That would then turn the owenrs into a war against themselves and create problems within their unity... I think that is why Kraft and Jones have been so heavily vested in the negotiations. The Patriots and Cowboys are 2 of the most profitable franchizes, and they dont want that argument to happen.... The owenrs are protecting their collective interest as well as their individual interest at the same time......that is very hard to do, and a weakness in the owners armor and position IMO... I am extremely surprised the players havent played this card from the beginning of the conflict... Divide and conquer, failure to divide your opponent when given the chance is not normally a smart play....

Date: June 13, 2011 09:37AM

Date: June 13, 2011 10:01AM

It is fun how 2 people can look at the same set of facts and derived 2 completely different contrasting opinions from it... I think Green Bay, a team with not major debts, or the only team that doesnt have to deal with sales or death tax, makes less then ten million a year, more then proves the point, that 20 teams are in bad investments, whose cash flow is a joke compared to debts... I have no idea how you look at Green Bay and deduce anything other then that.... But somehow you do...It is a weird world we live in...

Date: June 13, 2011 10:02AM

The position I suggested was merely a retropsective look, on how i believe the NFLPA leadership bumbled their position and PR plan...

Date: June 13, 2011 10:12AM

Date: June 13, 2011 12:11PM

Date: June 13, 2011 01:10PM

Date: June 13, 2011 01:43PM

Date: June 13, 2011 03:51PM

Crowder, in this "the smaller markets can't make money" scenario, how do you defend Buffalo and Cincinnati (2 of the worse markets, revenue wise) for never selling the naming rights to their stadiums and making millions more a year in revenues? There's untapped money there so I really don't feel sorry for them.

Date: June 13, 2011 05:55PM

Date: June 14, 2011 02:35AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 14, 2011 06:08AM

per Adam Shefter...some GM's believe new CBA will be voted on June 21/22.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: June 14, 2011 07:20AM

Date: June 14, 2011 07:52AM

Date: June 14, 2011 08:25AM

Date: June 14, 2011 08:34AM

Date: June 14, 2011 10:15AM

Date: June 14, 2011 10:35AM

Date: June 14, 2011 10:44AM

Date: June 14, 2011 04:20PM

Date: June 14, 2011 04:24PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.