HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill part 2....Impresses in first scrimmage
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tannehill part 2....Impresses in first scrimmage
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 06, 2012 11:05AM

Relax Dolphanking its just a message board.

Also been of the few ones that has never said a bad word.......Even in real life............I also think you should be banished for quoting the S word in your tagline.grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 06, 2012 11:07AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 06, 2012 12:25PM

Don't let this shock you, but I wouldsn't be totally shocked if RT doest start in year 2 either as DK suggested.

I wouldn't call him a bust ... assuming that if that happened, it meant that garrard and the FINS were kicking some butt.

The better scenario for RT would be that even if Garrard is successful, that when RT gets in a game with a lead, he takes the team to an even higher level, or if garrard gets his bell rung, that RT steps in and shines.

At this point none mean squat till we see them and the team perform against someone other than the Dolphin defense.

Date: August 06, 2012 12:51PM

Well, Phinjim, I would be mildly shocked. If that happens, then either, like you said, we're going to the playoffs in both years and burning up our division........or............RT turns out to be not so good a player, which of course, would cast a question mark over whether he should even start in year 3.

In either case, it would be hard for Ireland and Philbin to justify why three years earlier, they took Tannehill at number 8, instead of going elsewhere at another position with that pick.

They would then be in the uncomfortable position of "Either you knew it and you shouldn't have done it or you didn't know it and you should have known it or at least paid more attention to those who said he did not rate so high a pick."

Like I said, I don't expect the first year but I certain expect the second year, assuming, of course, we don't win the SuperBowl in both the first and the second year.

Posted by: dolfans1 ()
Date: August 06, 2012 03:31PM

Just an FYI - Philip Rivers was the overall #4 draft pick in 2004, and started the season #3 on the Chargers' depth chart behind Drew Brees and Doug Flutie. He appeared in a total of 2 games that season.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 06, 2012 03:45PM

Wow he must suck.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 06, 2012 08:55PM

That may be true Dolfans1 but I hardly think that Matt Moore and David Garrard collectively are in the same atmosphere as Drew Brees and Doug Flutie.

Although it might come as a shock to an ALLEGED brain like eesti, I hardly think that RT will have as tough a time outplaying Moore and Garrard as he would have had trying outplay Brees and Flutie.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 07, 2012 03:16AM

Chyren,

Drew Brees was thought of as a bust in SD, hence the reason why they drafted Rivers, and nobody in their right mind thought Flutie was any relevant of a QB at THAT time.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: August 07, 2012 03:25AM

Date: August 07, 2012 06:43AM

> In either case, it would be hard for Ireland and Philbin to justify why three years earlier, they took Tannehill at number 8, instead of going elsewhere at another position with that pick.

I for one do not fear the situation even in year 3. Take a look at greenbay and the success they are enjoying now after sitting on Aaron Rogers for a while.

I see it as having found a diamond in the rough (Garrard or Moore peaking at the right time) if he were still not starting versus necessarily that RT was a bust.

This would however have to be backed up by great success, or else RT should and would be put on the field. If that were to happen ... its up to him to perform or else we did reach for him at 8.

None of this speculation is worth a plug nickle until we see this team perform well against competition. I however needed to see that the Phins had something new to offer.

The new offensive scheme, coaching changes, and and three arms competing in a new scheme are refreshing ... pending on the field validation.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 07, 2012 07:10AM

Date: August 07, 2012 08:25AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chyren,
>
> Drew Brees was thought of as a bust in SD, hence
> the reason why they drafted Rivers, and nobody in
> their right mind thought Flutie was any relevant
> of a QB at THAT time.

RESPONSE: Brees was never given a fair chance in San Diego and when the Chargers foolishly drafted Rivers high, there were a lot of teams in competition for him, "ours truly" included, although he eventually went to New Orleans. Flutie, on the other hand, was a recognized undersized talent that had the same problem as Ted Ginn has. Has the talent but not the size.

Matt Moore has never set the world on fire and David Garrard has had just brief flashes in games.

And as for eesti, the "Pinky" in "Pinky and the Brain"......well, his signature shows the level of class he has and is probably directed at the fact that no woman wants him.....

Date: August 07, 2012 09:31AM

eye rolling smiley

.....................................................................................

Date: August 07, 2012 10:46AM

DK > I find it hard to justify now. Why would it be any different three years from now.

For now it is / was justified on potential and a match to the vision they have for this offense. In total ... he appears to have the potential and is a good fit for this system

DK > All they have done is raised expectation unreasonably high. Its not that the kid won't be a quality QB. It just that he won't be ready any time soon.

I think raising the expectations is not just for RT, but for the program in whole. Thank God!

We've had a steady diet of low creativity and control freak coaching management. What a freaking bore, and demotovation as a player.
- I have so much enjoyed the lack of drama, and lack of the coaching staff need to be the "authority figure" don't speak, blah blah ...

- I think the staff has executed a vcery creative and sound program to enable review of a three QB competition that will yield improvement by all three of them.

- Its not all about Ryan Tannehill, its a real competition with a ton of reps for each of them , and in parallel an opportunity to ingrain a new system to all units - #1s and #2s. I think that's brilliant and also supports conditioning and a faster pace.

Agree with a post mad on another thread, that as the team gets into its game rythm, the speed of the call will give way to balanced and multi-set changes. For now however it is teaching thyem all and getting more reps at the same time.

Thumbs up to the work thus far ... awaiting performance on the field, but like the start by this staff, and attitude of the players

Date: August 07, 2012 10:52AM

Being better conditioned in the Miami heat is never a bad thing. If we have any shot of a home field advantage between the finicky Miami fans and the "NY is the best city in the world but I moved to Miami" Jets fans, that's it.

Date: August 07, 2012 11:20AM

Phinjim Wrote:
>
> - Its not all about Ryan Tannehill

This thread is...

By the way some "true fans" talk, I would have never known that it isn't all about Tannehill.

Ryan Tannehill is a rookie QB who isn't going to play much this season. He got to work with first team WRs and OL against second and third string defenders. He looked good, which means he doesn't suck - which is what I'd expect. But for some, RTs inflated performance in a meaningless scrimmage seems the most momentous event that has ever happened to the team.

I'm way more interested in how Gerrard and the first string offense looked against the first string D and vice versa. But it is very hard to get that information beside a few vague stats. Instead, everyone wants to talk about a third string rookie who will spend most (if not all) of this season on the bench.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: August 07, 2012 11:27AM

Everyone wants to talk about our future chances of winning dolphanking.

We are not going to any playoffs with matt moore or gerard.

Its obvious we want tannehill to develop so we can have a chance of reaching the playoffs again.

Date: August 07, 2012 12:13PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Everyone wants to talk about our future chances of
> winning dolphanking.
>
>
> We are not going to any playoffs with matt moore
> or gerard.
>

His name is Gerrard. A "True Fan" ought to be at least able to know how to spell the name of the starting QB

Our first string QBs is a former pro-bowler who has brought a team to the playoffs a couple times. You bash our first string QB by implying he isn't good enough.

Bashing the team's first string QB - that isn't exactly what a "true fan" should be doing. A "true fan" would get behind the starting QB, and believe that the coaching staff is making the right choice on the depth chart.

I noticed in another thread you mentioned Rex Ryan had lost weight. Calling Rex Ryan skinny, and now bashing our first string QB.

What are you, a Jet fan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 12:14PM by DolfanKing.

Posted by: dolfans1 ()
Date: August 07, 2012 01:14PM

Drew Brees was horrible prior to that year, and the Chargers had no idea that he was going to have a breakout year when they drafted Eli Manning and traded for Rivers in 2004 (that's why they drafted a QB with the #1 pick). In Brees' first 3 seasons (2001 - 2003) his combined stats were 29 TD, 31 INT, 5,613 yards passing (200 ypg), 59.4% completion rate. THAT is the guy that Rivers sat behind his first season, not the pro bowl QB Brees became.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 07, 2012 01:48PM

If Gerrard is able to play mistake free football, and move the chains along with our Oline coming together to produce a solid running game. And the defense plays like the talent is capable of playing, we could be a decent team... If we have a Qb who makes alot of mistakes, is unable to consistently move the chains/turnovers, we will not be very good... pretty simple to me...

Which is why, barring something remarkable happening, I am rooting for Gerrard or Moore, or until the post season is no longer a possibility...
Tannehill hasnt faced the #1 defense for a reason, lets keep it that way for now IMO....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 01:49PM by Crowder52.

Date: August 07, 2012 04:01PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Tannehill hasnt faced the #1 defense for a reason,
> lets keep it that way for now IMO....

The reason is that he not ready. If he faced a #1 D this would be exposed and everyone calling him the next Marino now will be throwing him under the bus for being a bust of a #8 pick.

Not that a QB picked #8 overall shouldn't be starting. He should. But Tannehill isn't a normal situation. He was a CYA pick by the FO who was afraid to upset a group of crazy, vocal fans.

Date: August 07, 2012 04:06PM

Date: August 07, 2012 04:25PM

eesti Wrote:
> > or gerard.
> >
>
> His name is Gerrard. A "True Fan" ought to be at
> least able to know how to spell the name of the
> starting QB
>
> Actually it's GArrard,

Eesti,

You are a True Fan.

Date: August 08, 2012 03:42AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Everyone wants to talk about our future chances
> of
> > winning dolphanking.
> >
> >
> > We are not going to any playoffs with matt
> moore
> > or gerard.
> >
>
> starting QB

Wow i missed his name by 1 R............SUE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And its Garrard....Not gerrard.....LOL.

>
> Our first string QBs is a former pro-bowler who
> has brought a team to the playoffs a couple times.
> You bash our first string QB by implying he isn't
> good enough.

Our first sting QB is a qb whos coming off an injury and best days are behind him.

> I noticed in another thread you mentioned Rex Ryan
> had lost weight. Calling Rex Ryan skinny, and now
> bashing our first string QB.
>
> What are you, a Jet fan?

No iam not a jet fan....Maybe you are!

BTW Rax Ryan did lose weight....His face looks like a cracker now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 03:46AM by samsam3738.

Date: August 08, 2012 03:44AM

eesti Wrote:
> > or gerard.
> >
>
> starting QB
>
> Actually it's GArrard,

Hey dolphanking................looks like you are not a true fan either....

LMAO.

Now what do you have to say to that.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.