HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Will Vernon Carey be cut or take a paycut
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Will Vernon Carey be cut or take a paycut
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 11:28AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will Vernon Carey be cut or take a paycut
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 11:44AM

Date: May 12, 2011 11:48AM

Do you think he will be cut before the season starts to avoid the salary cap hit? Or do you think he will be paid his huge salary this year?

Date: May 12, 2011 11:53AM

As I think about it more, I think Carey is likely to take a pay cut to stay with the team this year at least.
He is a quite soft spoken guy, doesnt seem to be a big confrontational type of personality. He went to school at University of Miami, and this is his home. I am guessing he will agree to whatever the team wants to stay and finish his career here. Unless he is just plain awful and cant move, if the coaches see some value or back up value, they will make him offer of pay accordingly, with bonus's if he outplays the rearranged deal. But I defintely think his days of huge pay are most likely over. He could possibly leave and get a decent contract from a desperate team, but I dont think he will want to leave.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 11:57AM

he's not going anywhere. he's our 2d best tackle and a starter. how did it work out last season when we cut our starting C and Gs before the season? I think/hope Sporano's learned his lesson. He won't take a pay cut because we won't cut him if he refuses.

Date: May 12, 2011 12:15PM

Date: May 12, 2011 01:27PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 12, 2011 01:30PM

Lydon Murtha was a human turnstile last season. After watching him play, I couldn't understand how we had kept him on the roster.

Here's the deal on Carey's contract. He's due 4.M in 2011, which is really not that bad. He's due $5M next season, $5.5M in 2013, and $5M in 2014. So, he may not be on the block in 2011, but the next 3 years are questionable. His signing bonus is prorated to an additional $2M per season. We still owe him $8M there, at least in terms of the cap. If we were to cut him, he'd cost us $8M against the cap, because the signing bonus gets accelerated. So, cutting him in 2011 will actually result in him counting double against the cap than if you just paid him to play. So, that's not going to happen. But, next year, the decision gets tougher.

Channing Crowder is only due $2.5M this year. Unless they can replace him for that cost, he's not likely to be cut either.

The biggest bang for the buck, if you ask me, is cutting Brandon Marshall, which would save them $6.5M under the cap. I think his selfish style is bad for the team, and getting rid of him would be addition by subtraction.

Date: May 12, 2011 01:39PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 12, 2011 03:41PM

I haven't been very impressed with Carey lately. He also seemed like a human turnstile. He just doesn't seem quick enough and he seems a little slow mentally. Have you ever listened to his interviews?

Listening to Myrtha, he sounds like a bright guy. He certainly was quite the workout warrior during his combine. Athletically he is as good as a tackle comes. Unfortunately, it hasn't translated onto the field. Perhaps this will be the season it slows down for him.

Date: May 12, 2011 04:38PM

Date: May 12, 2011 05:19PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 12, 2011 05:31PM

We're probably still paying for Steve Etmann

Date: May 12, 2011 05:41PM

Date: May 12, 2011 06:11PM

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:21PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 13, 2011 01:55AM

Carey will get a chance to lose weight and get more agile in the off seasons, ala Soliai. If he does, we're fine. If not, this WILL be his last year with Miami.

Date: May 13, 2011 02:23AM

Date: May 13, 2011 06:43AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 13, 2011 07:29AM

I wonder how much of Carey's mediocre play was due to the poor play at RG? And the constant tinkering along the line. I think we are in better shape this year as TS will be more likley to set the positions and leave them be.

Hopefully Carey's play gets back to what it should be...his cap hit shouldn't be that bad for a RT.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 13, 2011 08:55AM

I kind of hope Murtha just outplays Carey...but its not that Carey got worse. Its that Murtha actually gets way better. Then we could move Carey to RG.

LT- Long
LG- Incog
C- Pouncey
RG- Carey
RT- Murtha

But, this wont happen, cuz Murtha sucks.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 13, 2011 09:16AM

I really don't know if Carey can be a guard. It means working in tighter spaces and a lot more contact and chance for injuries.

It would be a nice option bc it opens up the market and possibility of adding a fa RT or LG

.....................................................................................

Date: May 13, 2011 12:01PM

Carey has played Guard before. I dont think that is in question. What is questioned, is can another O-lineman take his job at RT.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 13, 2011 06:01PM

Carey hasnt played G since college but he did play LG. It would seem like a waste unless he can still pull and get to the second level...I'm sure the preference is for him to stay at T.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 13, 2011 07:29PM

Carey's not playing Guard. Sparano already said that, I don't see him changing. Murtha stinks as well. Our best hope is that Carey shapes up in the offseason and actually gets better next year. Unfortunately, due to the lockout, I don't think that's going to happen.

Date: May 13, 2011 08:30PM

Actually he said "not at this time" but we've heard that before.

If anything it would be Garner over Murtha anyway as he is higher on the food chain.

Date: May 14, 2011 05:38AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 16, 2011 03:15AM

Fix the RG position and Carey gets better. People knock the guy but he is one of the better RT in the league. Part of his fall off is due to the guard play on his side. Murtha has a good mouth lets see it on the field.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.