HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          1st rounder Cs and Gs, historically
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
1st rounder Cs and Gs, historically
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:32AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st rounder Cs and Gs, historically
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:38AM

I think we took him because of need, and out of all the players available at the time, They believe Pouncey to be the best player to have the greatest and most immediate impact on the team. And as much I as agree it was a bit of a reach, it was absolutly the right move for the Miami DOlphins, if we had to pick at 15 with what was available. If Fairley would have fallen, I would have liked that pick as well. but if he had fallen we probably could have pulled off the trade out.

Pouncey took, 2 of our greatest needs last year, LG and C, and solves whichever one we want solved, as well system and position flexibility.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 11:00AM

Pouncey's a good pick he did not get a lot of 'shine' this year because he played out of position at C. For him to be picked at 15 and he played his entire Sr year at a new position says something about the guy.

Date: April 29, 2011 11:02AM

Ireland says, he drafted Pouncey as a center, and that is where he has him penciled in at. He did say ultimately it will be the coaches decision where to play him but on his GM board he is a Center..

Date: April 29, 2011 11:08AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pouncey's a good pick he did not get a lot of
> 'shine' this year because he played out of
> position at C. For him to be picked at 15 and he
> played his entire Sr year at a new position says
> something about the guy.

I am a gator, still go to games, He didnt get alot shine becasue he blew it on a handful of snaps in the first 3 or 4 games. Between bad kicking and bad snaps, UF had a tough year last year. Snapping is suppose to be automatic, so when a guy stuffs some, becasue he is learning on the fly, people dont forget.
Remember when incognito, stuffed one or 2 last year, when he was forced to learn on the fly... It happens, but most of the time a guy doesnt have to learn on the fly his senior year, after starting almost every game the prior 3 years at 2 different positions. Even on defense. Pouncey is smart, dedicated and an incredible athlete to play three different positions on both sides of the ball for National Chmpionship caliber teams most of his college career. Pouncey was probably the second safest pick in the entire draft behind Von Miller.

Date: April 29, 2011 11:17AM

ok well this guy is supposed to be our C for the next 10 years. To crowder or whoever watch him in games this year---is he out of position at C or is this where he is going to be best for us?

to you gator fans---is he a great player?

Date: April 29, 2011 11:18AM

one thing I will say about this first round list, is there are a high percentage of excellent Gs and Cs on that list, so hopefully Pouncy becomes one of them

Date: April 29, 2011 11:44AM

Yes he was as good at guard as his brother was at center on Florida's title run. They were both animals at the position, and the reason Tebow broke the single season TD record. As other have said he was amazing as a pulling guard, he can get down field, on screens etc. THis is a Sparano pick. I think he was still young at the position of center last year.
But a guy that played DT, when asked to, then Guard, then Center, he is obviously smart, athletic to the bone, and the ultimate team guy. The gators were blessed with the pouncey brothers. High character guys, you want on your squad. He is a Jake Long type of character guy.
I think even if Pouncey had problems at center, which I dont believe he will, he would still be a probowl guard, in this league, maybe even as a rookie..... SO how can you go wrong, his down side is that you are stuck with a probowl guard. COnsidering we have holes at both LG and Center. You see how Pouncey makes more sense then any other player. You will not miss with him, he will be a dolphin for ten plus years at one position or another....

I do not believe pouncey is neccasarily out of position at center as he is young at the position. DO I believe in him. hell ya!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 11:47AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 29, 2011 11:48AM

The Pouncy pick reveals incompetence at several levels IMO.

First of all, it tells us this regime does not feel comfortable and/or qualified to evaluate QB talent at the highest level and then find a creative way to trade up (or down) and position yourself to get the guy. Instead this regime would have us believe the #1 reason we lost games last year was because of our Centers play. Rubbish. We all know the reason we sucked was due to a calamity at the QB position. Of course the OL had injuries and talent issues but remember these idiots drafted Jerry R3 last year and how great was that?

For a team in our relative condition it’s safe to say until these chumps solve the QB puzzle everything else is smoke and mirrors. Seriously, how game-changing is this Pouncy kid going to be? My expectations are immediate top 5 C in the league and challenge for ALL-Pro right away. If he’s not that good then WHY burn #15 on a position that is easily filled in the middle rounds? It’s a joke. The only reason they took this kid was to protect there own asses. In their own words, “it was a safe pick.” That’s the kind of pick a monkey can pull off. No need to spend MILLIONS evaluating players when all you’re going to do is play it “safe.” Just more incompetence as we witnessed it throughout all last season.

On the other hand what do we really expect to change? It’s the same idiots running the show. Ireland is never going to stick his neck out on a pick because he’s a punk. And like when he threw Sparano under the bus – Jeffie is all about self-preservation.

Date: April 29, 2011 11:52AM

if you take a C #15 overall, he better be a pro bowler. thr history bears this out---teams never take Cs that high. Now, if he really is that good, I am ok with the pick because we really need a good Center on this line, and no one else avaiable on offense at the time was better. But if he's just OK but a John Jerry kind of player, then we've got problems.
Crowder, I hope your correct with your assessment!!

Date: April 29, 2011 11:59AM

BNF-
I think Pouncey will be a contender for rookie of the year. His brother came in no 2 last year in the voting, only behind Suh.
THe interior of the line, hurt the team last year more then Henne. We had zero push, the defense was always getting push up throuhg our gut last year. Solving that will help more then a the top rb or the number 4 or 5 Qb. We dont have a second rd pich this year, so trading up to grab a top Qb, just wasnt realistic.
ANd if you draft one, and put out the same interior oline on the field as we did last year, what good does that do for us. The RB will fail and so will the QB.
Get behind the organization and our team, it was a good pick, for the position we were in. I wanted Newton, but there was no way for that to happen. I dont want to take a QB just to take one. What good does that do us. Pouncey will have an immediate impact, that is all you can ask of your first rd pick.

I believe we will pick up a veteran QB in free agency, either Young or Palmer. We need DJ WIlliams and or Leshoure now IMO. I will be happy with at least one of them, and with our picks I think WIlliams is more likely.

Date: April 29, 2011 12:18PM

Listen there’s no bigger fan of great C play than me. I’m sure we all remember Langer and most definitely Dwight. Stevenson was simply the most amazing C I’ve ever seen play. Explosive quickness and leverage that any judo master would envy. So if (???) this kid is in that category I’ll definitely back-off and support the pick.

From what I’ve seen he’s devastating in the second level but nowhere near dominant at the point of attack. And I’m not sold on his frame against the behemoth NT’s in our division. He will have to out-quick and use great technique and leverage to anchor in those instances. Maybe he can do it. Because if (???) he can go one-on-one with the NT our running game will be vastly improved. Couple that with Jerry losing his baby fat and Garner coming back and maybe we have something. Yea, I can get on board but the dude better be one bad ass on the field…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 12:20PM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 12:23PM

To Pouncey's credit, he played with 3 different QB's on a very under-achieving team.

This guy is gonna be a stud. You all will look back and smile on this pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 29, 2011 12:27PM

Correct me if I'm wrong Aqua but weren't you sour on this dude months back? I seem to remember you not liking him...

If so, what altered your opinion?

Date: April 29, 2011 12:44PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
Yea, I can get on board but the dude
> better be one bad ass on the field

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beersmoking smiley

Give him a chance, he is a rookie, but I expect that shouldnt matter to much. He is the anchor we need in the middle of the line. Sparano admit fault with juggling the line. He wants solidify it early and let them build chemistry. Long with Pouncey helps build stability and strength from left towards the middle.
Lets see what Jerry is about this year as well, I have not abandoned hope on him yet either.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 12:58PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> To Pouncey's credit, he played with 3 different
> QB's on a very under-achieving team.
>
> This guy is gonna be a stud. You all will look
> back and smile on this pick.

Finnally some homerism.....Thats what im talking about.smileys with beersmiling smiley

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 03:26PM

BNF,

No, not me. Ask Crowder...I wanted this months ago, even when Crowder (who is a Gators fan) was telling me no.

I said Pouncey would be the pick, and SHOULD be the pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.