HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Most Boring Team in football
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Most Boring Team in football
Posted by: dres9711 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:13AM

The Dolphins had a chance to swing for the fences last night. I would have liked Ryan Mallett as the pick. But I would've been happy with any player that was dangerous, dynamic, a game changer. Instead we went for the safe pick, Mike Pouncey.

This is no different from what the dolphins did all last season: they played for the field goal. The only difference between this regimen and the Wannstadt regimen is this one actually knows how to draft decent players. So I am not saying that the Pouncey pick was a bad pick; But Pouncey is not going to win us a Superbowl. And that's all I care about.

If we keep drafting like this, picking the safe picks, I promise I will not spend 1 dollar on the Miami Dolphins until these guys are out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most Boring Team in football
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:21AM

all of you calling for mallet at 15, you do know no one else took him in the first. so you are basically saying we should have taken a 2d or even 3d rounder in the middle of the first. that's called a reach.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:27AM

No matter who the QB is...he's going to look like S@#$ behind last year's O-Line. So for those of you calling this a safe pick and that we'll suck until we "swing for the fence", maybe we'll get the first pick next year and get "Luck"y.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:32AM

The general point in the OP is well taken. In fact I would have also preferred us taking best QB available (whether that would have been Mallett or someone else is a separate debate).

But looking on the upside of being 'safe', good linemen are like good socks, you can never have too many. Plus, most of you who are too young to remember the teams of the early 70s (our last ones to win it all) would consider them EXTREMELY boring and 'safe'. We ran the ball behind a top-notch offensive line. There was nothing more safe than handing the ball to Larry Csonka. Boring can be good if it's managed properly.

Yes the game has changed since then but linemen are still relevant even if they don't make the highlight reels and don't get all the attention on Fantasy Football.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:33AM

Mallett won't help anyone win a SB when he is on his back all day...going from a robot to a statue is not dynamic...but it is dangerous.

Not only safe but a smart pick since we had no one to trade down with....

I would like to see some bold moves to trade up and get Kaep if possible.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: KB ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:45AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No matter who the QB is...he's going to look like
> S@#$ behind last year's O-Line. So for those of
> you calling this a safe pick and that we'll suck
> until we "swing for the fence", maybe we'll get
> the first pick next year and get "Luck"y.

And Henne is gonna look like what he is...a backup...behind ANY offensive line. In 8 years we have used 3 of our first round picks on offensive linemen to no avail.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 05:15AM

Well we should have tooken more offensive lineman.

Having a stout elite o-LINE win's championships.

NE when it won its three had the best o-line in the NFL.

We needed a center BAD, and this will help us win the close games.

WE PLAY close game football, where a TD usually determines the outcome.

With a top notch center, we can keep the ball on the field, chip away time, yards and keep our QB healthy.

We need a playmaking ILB as our next pick, one who kicks ass besides Dansby.

If this regime wants a bad ass team, who makes other teams play our style, then we cannot stuper on a elite o-line.

I love the pick, just wish we had a trade down partner.

Posted by: 561_Dolphins ()
Date: April 29, 2011 05:33AM

Kind of on the fence with the Pouncey pick, but just be glad were not Minnesota. Ponder @ 12? WHAT A JOKE

Date: April 29, 2011 06:19AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> all of you calling for mallet at 15, you do know
> no one else took him in the first. so you are
> basically saying we should have taken a 2d or even
> 3d rounder in the middle of the first. that's
> called a reach.

So If we would've picked Jason Taylor in the first round instead of the 3rd round like we did, it would've been a reach? What I am trying to say is you cannot determine a pick was a "reach" until the we evaluate the draft down the road (3-4 years from now).

That logic doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 06:19AM

This is ridiculous.

Ponder was an *EXTREME* reach at #12, and nobody went after him. That should tell you that none of them have 1st round grades on them, because if they did....people would have traded up into the backend of the round to get them before the terrible teams at the beginning of the 2nd start to pick again.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 29, 2011 06:22AM

Also, I didnt mean for this thread to be a discussion on Mallett. The point was this is a typical pick for the dolphins... AKA more of the boring same...

Date: April 29, 2011 06:23AM

ok take whoever you want and wait 5 years and determine if they are a reach. I'd rather trust evaluations made at the time and take who you are supposed to take at the correct time. that's how you run a team.

by your logic---you walk into 7-11 and pay $500 for a $1 lotto ticket. you got ripped off, right? but no, you can't determine that till after you see if you won the million dollar jackpot. life don't work that way....

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 06:28AM

I will take boring if it = winning.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 29, 2011 06:31AM

Mallett dropped out of the first round, and people are still saying we should have taken him at 15. The fact that he made it past 31 other teams, including several with very definite QB needs, says a lot.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 29, 2011 06:39AM

Pouncy was a good pick at 15.

It would be great if we had anothoer pick to get a decent RB too, but we don't so ... botom line we gave up something to get marshall, and I stll think that was a good move.

As to wasting on OL. The only wastes we have had have been coaching or FO getting rid of the ones we had 2 years ago and last year. We paid thru the nose for a good OL then let many go for nothing because of ego and weak mgmt in my opinion.

We need to acquire people and take care of them to keep what we build upon. else we'll never have all th epieces for a championship team

Date: April 29, 2011 07:02AM

exactly right phinjim

Date: April 29, 2011 07:05AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> Mallett dropped out of the first round, and people
> are still saying we should have taken him at 15.
> The fact that he made it past 31 other teams,
> including several with very definite QB needs,
> says a lot.

Tom Brady was selected in the 6th Round... What does that say about all the times teams passed on him?

Date: April 29, 2011 07:13AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> ok take whoever you want and wait 5 years and
> determine if they are a reach. I'd rather trust
> evaluations made at the time and take who you are
> supposed to take at the correct time. that's how
> you run a team.
>
> by your logic---you walk into 7-11 and pay $500
> for a $1 lotto ticket. you got ripped off, right?
> but no, you can't determine that till after you
> see if you won the million dollar jackpot. life
> don't work that way....

How would you know that Mallett wasnt going to be selected in the first round at the time of the Dolphins pick? You are looking at things in Hindsight, why cant I?

Also, how many teams would've selected Marino or Brady as the first pick overall had they known about their talent. My point is: If Mallett ends up being a pro bowler would you care that you picked him at 15? No. The term reach is stupid.

Date: April 29, 2011 07:15AM

With no #2 we had no choice but to be boring. If we had a #2 we might have went after Gabbert who knows? But we had no choice. If we pick Mallet at #15 and he Tanks those guys are done. Pick him at # 79 its not a huge blow to the team. Hopefully he lasts. maybe we combine a few picks and move up in 3? Kaerpatnick is also a great Pick in Rd 3.

And like berkly said, No matter who we picked, they need a center to give them the ball. We are a better team today. Its a posistion thats been huanting us for a while now. Lets move on.

Date: April 29, 2011 07:23AM

I want to reiterate that this wasn't a bad pick.

I've been on this board for 3 drafts now. And I know most of us are optimistic (I remember arguing with some of you on the Pat White pick) about the picks. But just because there was a need and we filled it with a safe/good player, doesn't mean it was the right choice.

BTW: TreasurecoastPhinsfan good points.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 07:28AM by dres9711.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.