HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          We need to trade down in the draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
We need to trade down in the draft
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:48AM

and acquire more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if we hope to fill the many holes on our roster. I say this because with the more picks you have then you can take a player that you like higher, and assure yourself that he will be available when it's your turn to pick. In other words trading down gives you more draft picks which to acquire players, and since the draft is a crap shoot with more picks the more likely you are to hit on more players. Let's face it their are no locks in any draft so why limit yourself to only ahandful of picks to me the more picks we have the better. Jimmy Johnson used to always trade down out of the 1st round with mixed results to me that was a better choice than standing pat and making a selection.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We need to trade down in the draft
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 05:58AM

Hopefully we do. I posted some possible secnarios a few weeks back. Dalton or TJ Yates may be our QB targets. We may need a couple of WR has a backup plan! I like moving Hartline to the Browns for TE Evan Moore. Would have to wait of course. This kid can be our TE solution and allow us to grab some RB & WR in the draft

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:00AM

Without a CBA, there won't be any signing of undrafted rookie free agents, either. More picks would be a good thing. We have a lot of needs. But, we need to be able to find a partner willing to give up picks. That may not be easy.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:26AM

No doubt about it! It is the only option at this point with the way this years draft in unfolding.

After the top 8 or 9 players...the talent level drops way off. There is not a single player after the top 8 that I would be jumping for joy to get.

Not having a 2nd rounder would be devastating. Draftees from pick 9 down may be good players but we don't need defensive lineman.

Pouncey is only worth a 28-35.

WR's after the top two are 2nd rounders.

QB's after Gabbert and Newton same as Pouncey.

Same goes for top two RB's and OT's.

I don't see any stud ILB's....

I could see grabbing a RT to replace Carey but we need play makers ...QB, RB, TE.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:31AM

boy, a trade down, what a novel idea!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:39AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 23, 2011 07:41AM

After 3 years of Project BIG this team still has too many holes to fill in one draft (especially when we lack a #2). Trading down really isn’t going to solve our core problem IMO.

If we get a legit QB and C with some added OL depth I’d be very happy. But the key puzzle piece to find is obviously QB. If we don’t do that then we’ve fundamentally failed yet again. Draft after draft we’ve missed the mark at the most important position.

Most of the time teams don’t get a franchise QB trading down…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 07:42AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:14AM

Yes however fundamentally the draft is a big crap shoot tell me what player do you know for sure is going to be a stud? That's right you don't so trading down and acquiring more picks makes sense in this case. Because you have more chances to draft more players and more draft picks leads to more good picks. it's called the law of averages my friends. Belechick every year seems to have more draft picks than other teams notice a trend there.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:15AM

Yes however fundamentally the draft is a big crap shoot tell me what player do you know for sure is going to be a stud? That's right you don't so trading down and acquiring more picks makes sense in this case. Because you have more chances to draft more players,and more draft picks leads to more good picks. it's called the law of averages my friends. Belechick every year seems to have more draft picks than other teams notice a trend there.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:39AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No doubt about it! It is the only option at
> this
> > point with the way this years draft in
> unfolding.
> >
> > After the top 8 or 9 players...the talent level
> > drops way off. There is not a single player
> after
> > the top 8 that I would be jumping for joy to
> get.
> >
> > Not having a 2nd rounder would be devastating.
> > Draftees from pick 9 down may be good players
> but
> > we don't need defensive lineman.
> >
> > Pouncey is only worth a 28-35.
>
>
> I don't think Pouncey gets past the Eagles at #23
> and probably doesn't get past the Giants at #19.
>
> If we trade down that far we won't get him, we'll
> probably be looking at a QB, likely either
> Mallett, Kaepernick, or Dalton.

Kind of what I am hoping for....odds are that Pouncey is a guard that prob won't be as good as his twin. That's why his dream is to go to Pit bc he knows he's a guard.

Even if he comes in and starts from day one....how much effect does that have on the team? We can get a starting G thru FA.

I hope we can trade down and get a QB....then the best offensive player available in 2.

Even though a qb prob won't start from day one....if we get the right one this time he could come in mid season to bail out a struggling Henne and offer some hope for the future and buy the staff some time.

I would like to see where Henne ranks among this and last years crop of qbs.

I wouldn't even mind trading down twice and ending up with 3 second rounders that would include someone like Dalton or Kaepernik.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 08:43AM

Wow well welcome aboard this band-wagon brother Finshady, been running this wagon since I don't know end of the seasonish. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 08:44AM by Mia1.

Date: April 23, 2011 08:49AM

See in my world of awsomeness "exclusive membership still available" The perfect scenario would to trade down twice, pick up a second, and third round pick. BAM

Then use our first round, on the best guard, then second on the best rb, then third best guard, then third again best wr, then fourth best RB, then fith McElroy, then sixth Best NT, Then one more NT in 7th, and two tackles in the last 7th's.

Or somthing close to that.

Date: April 23, 2011 09:24AM

If only you could spell as well as you did with the ladies your life would truly be amazing. Hey Mia it's sugar daddy get it right lol.

Date: April 23, 2011 11:18AM

It's all part of my sex appeal!!! smileys with beer

Date: April 25, 2011 08:49AM

Pat Kirwin has Blaine Gabbert falling to Miami at 15 in his latest mock draft.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 25, 2011 09:03AM

What if Gabbert or say Robert Quinn fall to #15...would you still want to trade down?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 25, 2011 09:09AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pat Kirwin has Blaine Gabbert falling to Miami at
> 15 in his latest mock draft.

&&&&&&&&&&&&
If that was to happen like Kirwan plays it out, I would be exstatic!

Gabbert in the 1st, Daniel Thomas in the 3rd!

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 25, 2011 09:14AM

gabbert falling to 15? never going to happen. he won't make it out of the top 10, probably not out of the top 5.

Date: April 25, 2011 11:58AM

Pat Kirwan ia a typical idiot NFL reporter who is just trying to stir the pot by stating something that isn't going to happen. How is Newton better than Gabbert based on what athletic ability arm, strength years playing in college. Now Gabbert will fall while this garbage Newton will go #1, and no one is questioning this moronic decision to drop Gabbert down while keeping a one hit wonder #1. Kirwan is clueless when it comes to the draft I predict if Carolina dosen't take Scam he will fall the furthest in the 1st round. These NFL writers are not even worth reading with such low regard players like Gabbert while thinking trash like Newton is the 2nd coming. Typical garbage that I have come to expect from this writer.

Date: April 25, 2011 12:11PM

Cam is going #1. Done deal.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.