HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ronnie Brown vs Ricky Williams
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ronnie Brown vs Ricky Williams
Date: April 15, 2011 04:23AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ronnie Brown vs Ricky Williams
Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:00AM

I voted neither.

Ricky Williams- getting old,his mind is more concerned with other issues in life at this point, seems to have lost the passion for football & is just going through the motions.

Ronnie Brown- Poor vision,might break a big run once a year,injury concerns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 05:04AM by sleekdogg.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:08AM

I am not sure if either will stay.

But if the question was "Who do you WANT to stay?"

I would probably say Ricky. He is still a beast and has a year or two left. If we had a stud starting RB, Ricky would be great off the bench....as he has the last 3 or 4 seasons.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 15, 2011 05:20AM

Yes, the question was definitely who do you personally wish or do not wish to come back and why.

I too think Ricky has alot left in the tank. He has always been very healthy and in tune with his body. Maybe with a few tweaks on the O line and a new Cordinator , he can still be very productive. He also had a few yrs of mini retirement so he is alot fresher then most other backs his age and still has the benifit of all the experience.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:31AM

It depends on the value other teams place on them, If someone wants to over pay for either guy, we are out of the sweepstakes.
I think Ronnie is towing the organization line though.
Allowing them what JT, wouldn't last year, keep the other teams guessing as to what our plans are in the draft. It did not benefit the Dolphins signing Ronnie before the draft and new cba. I think he is cool with that and understands, and I believe Ronnie believes the Dolphins will make a decent offer to resign him before play resumes.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2011 06:28AM

Ronnie is done. Even if we keep him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut in TC. As for Ricky, I think it depends on how much of a hardass Ireland is willing to be. If he follows the Parcells model, then Ricky is gone because of his comments a few months ago. It's the same reason we let JT go. It wasn't worth the trouble. On the other hand, if Ireland plays it like Saban and keeps the guy figuring Sparano can change him, then Ricky stays.

I voted neither.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 06:34AM

depends on price and what we do to bring in as a starter. if we bring in a true #1 back then either R or R is strictly a backup/change of pace. I think I prefer Ricky in that role, and I think he would be cheaper too. Backup RB is not such a critical position and you can get a new one every year if you wanted.
Ronnie is the best in the NFL at the wildcat but does anyone really care any more?

Date: April 15, 2011 07:35AM

I think Ricky would be great in a Jerome Bettis kind of roll. 3rd down. The only real problem I ever had with Ricky is his hands. He is a good reciver for a RB but he does have a tendency to fumble the ball from time to time.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 15, 2011 08:52AM

Ronnie has the better chance of being brought back. He's much, much better than Ricky at picking up the blitz, and he is a much, much better receiver out of the backfield. I believe one of this coaching staff's biggest mistakes has been not throwing the ball to Ronnie enough.

But, I doubt either will be brought back. They both appear to have lost a step. Ronnie really looks like he has no explosion left. Ricky still has a burst, but his blocking was atrocious and his fumbling problems continue. He also wears down quickly, which is expected at this point in his career.

I would not be surprised if Lex Hilliard plays a much bigger role on this team than people expect. He played quite well in Ronnie's absence in 2009. And when he's played, he's shown fresh legs. It's been reported that Daboll sees potential in him. And I wonder if Daboll may see a little Peyton Hillis in his physical style.

I would not be surprised to see the Fins draft a speedy home-run hitter type in the 3rd round, and then a bigger, more physical back in the 5th round. And take those 2 guys, plus Hilliard and Kory Sheets, and make it a wide open competition.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 09:10AM

the fact that this team did not give Lex any carries last year is a mystery. I thought he was very promising 2 years ago, this would have been a good year to get him involved, if for no other reason so we could see if he's got "starter" ability. another bizarre move by the powers that be.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2011 09:18AM

I think Hilliard has potential as a FB as well. Polite had a bad year last year. At this point, Polite looks like a short-yardage expert, but NOT a fulltime FB.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:13AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Ricky would be great in a Jerome Bettis
> kind of roll. 3rd down. The only real problem I
> ever had with Ricky is his hands. He is a good
> reciver for a RB but he does have a tendency to
> fumble the ball from time to time.

RESPONSE: I disagree but it is a disagreement I had also with the coaching staff all last year. Assuming by Jerome Bettis you mean a great inside runner, then I don't think Ricky is effective as an inside runner. Moreover, his "tendency to fumble" comes out more on inside runs.

Yes, Ricky is a powerful runner but his power is more effective when he is run to the outside where he can compliment that power with his fantastic moves, fakes and elusiveness in the open field.

Ronnie Brown, on the other hand, is a great inside power runner who has little in the way of moves.

Yet all last season, the brain dead offensive coordinators would call for Ricky running up the middle and Ronnie running outside the tackles.

It should have been the reverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 10:15AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:40AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I believe one of
> this coaching staff's biggest mistakes has been
> not throwing the ball to Ronnie enough.
>
> But, I doubt either will be brought back.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Ronnie is a tremendous back at catching the ball out of the backfield. And once all the misdirection stuff at the line started happening we seemed to lose this about our offense.
They both had really bad stats last year as far as the first guy to make contact bringing them down. That is a bad problem on the books for bringing either guy back. I hope to see Ronnie back, i dont think he is done producing, we just had a horrible year as a team. I dont think Ricky nor Ronnies talent fell off as much as their numbers and stats did last year becasue of the horrible play calling and team play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.