HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Rule changes
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Rule changes
Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: March 23, 2011 06:13AM

How do you guys feel about the new kickoff rules to increase touchbacks? And,if the game continues to change do you think it could get to the point where you don't find the game enjoyable anymore and cause you to no longer watch?

-IMO I don't like the new rules put into place. It is too much manual manipulation of the sport. Special teams players such as kick returners and kickers lose importance.Kickoffs are one of the most exciting ,dynamic, momentum changing, parts of the game. What's next eliminating onside kicks there is launching involved in those too.

-As for the second part of my question, I think if the game is changed too much that it could lead to me not wanting to watch anymore. As much as I love the game I do think it could become ruined.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rule changes
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 23, 2011 06:31AM

In my opinion the NFL has changed rules every year for several decades.
I'm really sick of the NFL and if not for the Dolphins probably would not watch.
Didn't they change that rule before by moving the ball back to the 30 so there would be more run backs? Now they want to move it back to the 35. What's the point? Are they afraid the poor babies will get hurt?

Maybe they should all ware dresses and play touch.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 06:45AM

I hate the change but since we can't return the ball past the 20 anyway, it probably helps us

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 07:10AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 23, 2011 07:19AM

Don't like it, but this reduces the impact of special teams...which is actually good for us (because our special teams stink!).

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 23, 2011 02:33PM

This.

It helps our special teams out, cuz ours suck.

But this rule was changed in 1992 or 1993. Its just going back to the way it always was.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: March 24, 2011 05:19AM

I don't like it that much. In the warmer part of the year the ball will fly out of the endzone. In the cold weather, we could still have some shorter kicks...but, it is what it is.

This is all to do with the NFLPA whining about making the game "safer" regardless of how many games that are played.

Date: March 24, 2011 07:01AM

Three or four years from now we won't even recognize this game. There is talk about taking helmets off so the head can't be used for contact. I don't have a source for that as it is info from my Son. Anyway,
the game will be changing and I think that sucks.

There will be no way to compare the game over the years.

Date: March 24, 2011 07:03AM

The NFL actually proposed initially to take the Kick-off out of the game all togethor.

Pretty soon this game will be two-hand touch.

---------------------

Date: March 24, 2011 07:34AM

It would be interesting to see some stats on how many injuries occur on kick offs and punt returns. Especially head injuries.

Also, how many quarterback head injuries are caused by helmet contact when tackled in the back field. I'll bet there are very few. Most head injuries of QBs are cause by contact with the ground. Just my opinion.

It would also be interesting to know how many head injuries linger among retired players. Total compared to how many players are retired.
I'll bet that percentage is very low.confused smiley

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 24, 2011 07:50AM

Date: March 24, 2011 09:50AM

Just talked to my Son. He reads everything imaginable about football and baseball. Anyway, he said that he read this is a couple of articles but could not remember where. Not from the players. Probably some dumb sports writer.

I still say, put skirts on them and play touch.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 24, 2011 10:34AM

Date: March 24, 2011 10:36AM

JC. Must have been the same article as that is what my Son and I talked about. Interesting.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 24, 2011 10:46AM

How about that... the meatheads at the sports bar I went to know how to read LOL

Date: March 24, 2011 12:29PM

More head injuries occur with recievers going across the middle than on kick-off returns.

The NFL will change the game we love.

---------------------

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 24, 2011 01:08PM

A reason they moved the kickoffs from the 35 to the 30 was that kickers had gotten stronger, and there were too many touchbacks. Now, kickers are even stronger. There will be very few kickoff returns now.

Date: March 24, 2011 04:08PM

The Black Hole guys are gonna have to wear armour when Janakowski kicks off.

---------------------

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 24, 2011 05:51PM

Proposition: No helmets in football would result in less injuries to the head.
Fact: More injuries to the head are experienced on the school playground where blows are unintended than in football.
Conclusion: No helmets in football would result in more injuries to the head.
Realization: Helmets were brought in (probably at the turn of the 19th and 20th Centuries) to protect the head against injuries.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 07:11PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:11PM

The new rules will work wounders for our team!! Carpenter can actually get some touchbacks@!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.