HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          can someone explain to me why ...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
can someone explain to me why ...
Posted by: sickofit ()
Date: January 17, 2011 11:39AM

the Dolphins passed on Aaron Rodgers in 05? even if Ronnie would have turned out to be the second coming of Ernie Davis, why did we pass on currently the best qb in the NFL?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can someone explain to me why ...
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 17, 2011 11:47AM

Because.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:38PM

LOTS of people passed on Rodgers that year. He made it all the way to #24. How do you think the 49ers feel for taking Alex Smith #1?

Posted by: Wannyblows34 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 01:07PM

Are you kidding me? Why would we draft a QB in the 1st round when we had Gus Frerotte, Gus was the man or was it Culpepper that year? I lost count already dude LOL, Miami has passed on like every good QB known to man. But it's ok, we have a deadly combination now of Henne and Daboll! We're gonna light it up, I feel it. Aaron Rodgers, come on we don't need him, he's too pass happy for us it would never workout.

We play tough defense and win it with Carpenter in the 4th Qt. That's our style of game baby! Pump fist Pump fist Pump fist Pump fist, and Miami kicks another field! Pump fist Pump fist and another Pump fist Sparano Pump fist Daboll Pump fist, might as well get used it, we're gonna see alot of this next year. PUMP FIST!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 01:58PM

As is the current case, poor draft talent evaluation. Hopefully we will not reach and get a QB of the future in this draft

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:19PM

Well, we can go back further when we passed on Drew Brees to take, if my memory is correct, Jamar Fletcher, D-back, at the end of the first round when Drew Brees went early in the second round.

Moreover, the point about the 49ers is a good one because Rodgers went to Cal, right across the bay, whereas they drafted Alex Smith, Utah, number 1.

Before Ghotirule tells you, I comforted my 49ers fans who were friends by telling them that they made the right choice. So my butt's in this too.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:42PM

Why did we pass on Rodgers? why didn't we draft Ryan instead of Long? why did we pass on Brees and not Culpepper? Why did we waste a pick on Pat White?

Time to move on and forget about some of the stupid decisions of the past.

You guys are gonna go crazy playing the what if, shoulda coulda woulda game.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 17, 2011 06:44PM

Which was my point, Razorghost.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 09:54AM

I do you all one better and this one hurt like hell....How about trading down from the 20th spot.....And geting john avory............RB>>>>>BUST

We traded down too soon.........Soon as we trade down half hour later randy moss goes at number 20 WTF.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:56AM

Teams have to draft players based on information on hand at the time of the pick. That information is all too often proven wrong after the fact.

The simple answer for the Phins for why our coaches have not drafted a highly touted player since Don Shula is;

1. Coaches often want verteran players because it takes a while to develop rookies...coaches don't often have the luxury of time and they know it.

2. Rookie quarterbacks often fail.

3. If you draft a first round quarterback there is a lot of pressure to start them immediately...since most of them fail, the coaches fail along with them and are then fired.

4. The phins have had a coaching carousel the past 15 years. Newly hired coaches want, and need, immediate results. That means a veteran player.

5. Systems and circumstances play a very big part in the sucess or failure of quarterbacks...quite often they don't become good until they are on their second teams or coaching staffs.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:26AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 18, 2011 01:13PM

At the time, Rodgers' stock was dropping like a rock. And when you draft a QB that high, and give him a $70M contract (like Matt Ryan got), and he's a bust, your franchise is screwed for many years. Those really high draft picks wind up getting paid like the best guys in the league at their positions. And when you are paying an unproven rookie like he's an elite QB, it can mess up your entire payroll structure. When it works out, it's great. When it doesn't, its a disaster. That's why teams are reluctant to make that move.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.