HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Great Analysis on Henne/Henning
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Great Analysis on Henne/Henning
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:13AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Analysis on Henne/Henning
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:41AM

Agreed, I've been saying this for months now...coaching is the major issue in Henne's development, or lack thereof.

Henne has been doing what he was told to do by the coaches...can't fault him for that because players that don't, especially under Parcells, don't stay around very long. And then, Henne is a young player and he's, IMHO taking the approach that the coaches know more than he does about what works and what doesn't in the NFL.

I want to see him in a new system with new coaches making him work each minute of each day to get better.

Same with Thigpen and any quarterback we draft or otherwise aquire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 07:58AM by Ken.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:35AM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:38AM

Agree. Henne takes waaay to long to re-acquire the defense once he takes his eyes off it.

Rick

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: January 11, 2011 09:11AM

Date: January 11, 2011 09:46AM

What I "hate" is pathetic QB play coupled with poor leadership and a non-accountable attitude. Beyond that I’m sure Henne is a great kid.

Coaching is a factor, but it’s still a player’s game and great players find a way to make plays and overcome situations. I see ZERO evidence of that...

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 11, 2011 09:46AM

Date: January 11, 2011 10:28AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Odenn if "good coaching can make everyone look
> better," why shouldn't bad coaching make everyone
> worse?

Good point, and I think the game against the Pats shows you're point. Everyone sucked that game.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:58PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> Agree. Henne takes waaay to long to re-acquire the
> defense once he takes his eyes off it.

If that is the issue, I think it is a concern. But, this analysis makes me wonder how well Henne was coached to learn how to re-acquire the defense. Seriously, if the guy struggles with play action, why are we calling a play action pass on 3rd and 10? It makes me question everything about the coaching.

I think this article is interesting on a number of levels. It says that no one executed play action well, including the o-line, RBs, and WRs. That's disturbing because Sparano is an o-line guy, and used to be a TE guy. He knows offense, allegedly. And no one on the team can sell play action? Whose fault is that?

It's also interesting because of the number of ridiculous situations in which we used play action. We used play action in 3rd and logn all the time. We used play action in the 2 minute drill, a lot. Why are we calling play action when it fools no one, our guys can't sell it, and it hurts our QB?

I remember a Henne fumble in the second Jets game. It was the cold, rainy game, and we were in FG range, and there was a play action pass called on 3rd and 10 (after two failed wildcat plays, if I recall). When Henne faked the handoff, the ball slipped out, and we wound up getting knocked out of FG range. Dan Henning said that it was a play that called for a one-handed fake handoff, but given the weather, Henne should have gone with a two-handed fake. Here's my question, why are we calling play action on 3rd and 10?

And with all this play action, it's also interesting because our running game was terrible. In order to be a good play action team, you need an effective running game. When you are not a good running team, it fools no one, and all it does is put everyone on offense at a disadvantage. The linemen are briefly pretending to run block, while the d-line is teeing off the pass rush. It takes the QB's eyes off the defense, and it takes the QB longer to get back to his drop. And the receivers are slow to get off the line, because they pretend to block. Now, if our running game sucked all year, which it did, and we sucked at play action, why did we continue to do it?

Unfortunately, this goes beyond Henning. It goes right to Sparano. Ultimately, he's responsible for everything. And this philosophy went so against what our talent dictated, it just makes no sense. And it makes me not feel very good about the extension we just gave Sparano. Hopefully, we hire a strong OC and QB coach, guys who are willing to speak up when the head coach is sending them in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:15PM

Agreed, Henne should be kept...in no small part because of the coaching issues. We should add some competition though.

Date: January 12, 2011 05:32AM

Ken Wrote:
> Agreed, Henne should be kept...in no small part
> because of the coaching issues. We should add some
> competition though.

No question there. I think Miami should draft a QB in the first round and see what they get. And if they don't get the answer they need, keep drafting a QB in the first round until it happens. Sounds drastic, but I'm tired of "good enough".

Date: January 12, 2011 06:09AM

The irony will be when the O coaches move on and have success elsewhere, which has happened here historically, I wonder if any will be willing to admit the core issue with Henne was NOT coaching but his basic ineptness as an NFL QB?

And BTW, there’s a difference between play calling and coaching. To somehow say that Henning was a bad coach and Chad Pennington a bad mentor and that’s why Henne flopped is a lame EXCUSE. Whatever you think about Henning’s play calling, the man has a solid history as an NFL coach. Chad P is as respected as they come. And to say they somehow “ruined” Henne is quite laughable.

You can NOT blame “coaching” for missing open receivers, throwing loafs of bread out of the end zone, and basically playing like a clueless rookie in your 3rd year.

Beyond that, Henne was pretty much identified by a number of players as the core problem. The coaches obviously didn’t believe in him as the season progressed, and his presence on the team became a poison. The kid demonstrates NO leadership and expresses marginal accountability for the offensive failures (choosing to blame others first).

Add that to the fact the Tuna was obviously convinced the kid didn’t have it BEFORE the events of the season proved him 100% right. And of course, Parcells has NO credibility as to what a legit NFL is all about? He was just “lucky” saying Henne was a disappointment BEFORE the results showed on the field?

Don’t think so.

The ONLY thing Henne has shown is a powerful arm. His accuracy is marginal and highly inconsistent. His ball placement is all over the place (putting receivers in bad places) and his field awareness / command is poor. He’s obviously mechanical and NOT a natural smooth pocket passer. His mobility is very limited. His pocket awareness is horrible. No touch passes in his arsenal. And the list just keeps going on…

At this point you really are in fantasyland if you think Henne is the answer at QB. Of course there are always excuses and scapegoats. But if Henne is around here next year and continues to demonstrate his big bag of boat anchors – and stinks the place up again, what then? Will it be because of the new coaches? The WR’s? The OL?

Some people just don’t know when they’re OBVIOUSLY wrong.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 12, 2011 06:14AM

"The ONLY thing Henne has shown is a powerful arm. His accuracy is marginal and highly inconsistent. His ball placement is all over the place (putting receivers in bad places) and his field awareness / command is poor. He’s obviously mechanical and NOT a natural smooth pocket passer. His mobility is very limited. His pocket awareness is horrible. No touch passes in his arsenal. And the list just keeps going on…"

Other then all that, you like him though right?

Date: January 12, 2011 06:22AM

I really do "wish" there was more to like and place some faith in. It absolutely SUCKS we're in Y3 of this regime with ZERO at the QB spot.

Total failure and incompetence at the most important position on the team.

Hard to ignore that.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 12, 2011 06:33AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 12, 2011 06:38AM

I'm for keeping Henne as well. If we also pick up a QB in the 1st round that turns out to be legit, and we end up with 2 good QBs (like San Diego had with Brees & Rivers), then hopefully we'll be smart and trade one rather than just letting one guy walk like SD did with Brees. BUT....that's all a pipe dream at this point anyway. I'd LOVE to have a problem like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 06:38AM by montequi.

Posted by: Donl ()
Date: January 12, 2011 09:06AM

I agree with montequi that our situation is very similar to San Diego's when they selected Rivers(I know they selected Manning but that was a VERY smart move for them and resulted in them getting Rivers). Brees was a game manager, at best, until he finally 'got it' and performed very well with Rivers on the bench. I became unhappy with Henne as the year progressed. I believe he may still be a good QB but I doubt anyone is convinced it WILL happen. So, as montequi stated keep him and draft a QB #1. The problem with that is who will be available at our #1? We can't predict who would trade their #1 for our's so if we keep our's and there is no worthy QB I say we go for the top rated Center or OG if Incognito is playing Center.
I believe it was Odenn that suggested taking a QB #1 until we get it right and I do agree with that unless there is not a worthy canidate there. Our beginning years we were picking very early and our GM, Joe Thomas, took QB Rick Norton the first year and with him not doing very well took another QB the following year with a first round pick. That worked out very well for us as that QB took us to 3 SBs and won 2. So if there is a quality QB worthy of our #1, wherever we pick, we need to take him. We have seen mostly poor QB play since Dan left...that has to end.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 12, 2011 02:15PM

I dont like Henne, I dont think he is a starting QB in this league.

But....I dont think we should get rid of him. I think he is a great backup.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.