HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Savior QBs that sunk their coaches
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Savior QBs that sunk their coaches
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:54AM

While I'm in agreement with many of you that we need a new QB, I think a lot of people have that misconceived vision of a QB riding in on a white horse to save the day. It's been brought up that Sparano should acquire a good QB to save his career. So, I decided to look at the QBs other recent Phin coaches brought in as an attempt to save their career:

Wanny (part 1) -> Brian Griese. This signing was a fan favorite. The son of a HoF QB who was the only QB in Miami to win a Superbowl, Brian was also a former Pro-Bowler at the time. Unfortunately, he was a tackle dummy behind a porous offensive line and never reached Pro-Bowl level in his career after that point (neither with the Phins or after).

Wanny (part 2)-> A. J. Feely. I say this is Part 2 because Wanny SHOULD HAVE BEEN fired the previous year. Instead of firing him, Huizenga took away his ability to make personnel decisions and gave that to Spielman. Even though this WAS a Spielman signing, the purpose was still to save both their jobs. With Fiedler not the same as he once was and Rosenfels looking a lot like a 3rd-string QB, the consensus was that the kid from Philly that had looked really good in a couple games could be the answer to all our problems. NOT!!!

Saban -> Daunte Culpepper. Like Griese, Culpepper was another former Pro-Bowler. Unfortunately, it became apparent fairly soon that he wasn't the player he used to be and, very likely, he was NEVER as good as his previous statistics suggested. Culpepper was a product of Randy Moss and a great offense in Minnesota. Joey Harrington was brought in as an afterthought and ended up being our starter. UGH!! Even though Saban survived 2 seasons after signing Culpepper, the acquisition haunted him and the loss of a 2nd round pick was painful.

Cameron -> Trent Green/John Beck. Mr. Glass..Green was about as durable as Chad Pennington was this season. Green DID go on to start a few games in St. Louis after leaving Miami, but he was useless behind our poor O-Line. Beck was drafted and faded into mediocrity. We were ultimately left with a Lemon at QB.

So, will Henne bring Sparano down, or will he acquire someone else and either save or sink his Dolphin career? Time will tell. I believe we WILL go after someone, but our previous track record with QBs, either FA or draft pick, has NOT been good. I sincerely hope that trend changes, but it's not like we have a QB guru in the organization.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Savior QBs that sunk their coaches
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:34AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 12:38PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> None of those attempts to fix our QB problems
> involved drafting a QB in the first round or
> trading a 1st round pick for an established
> starter.
>
> They were all half-hearted attempts to catch
> lightning in a bottle without risking a top pick.
>
>
> If Ireland does the same thing, odds are he'll get
> the same result as every single one of his
> predecessors that you mentioned.

Good point, what do all the coaches or GM's have in common since SHula and Marino left.... None of them drafted a QB in the 1st rd...... We have been afraid to pull the trigger.... Hopefully someones has some cajones this year and pulls the trigger and gets Newton or Gabbert

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:07PM

Actually, it has been reported that one of the concessions made to appease Sparano is that his new contract gives him more say in terms of player acquisition from now on.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:10PM

Great point, Phinsfan. thumbs up

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 10, 2011 02:12PM

Quote:

"Actually, it has been reported that one of the concessions made to appease Sparano is that his new contract gives him more say in terms of player acquisition from now on."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I only buy that when it comes to O-lineman. Sparano was an O-line coach, not anything else, not a recruiter, nothing. Just an O-line coach.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:32PM

Date: January 10, 2011 03:04PM

Well they're certainly not going to ignore his opinion from this point on, and perhaps that's enough to greatly affect the course of the franchise.

I don't see it happening in a manner such as you described, where Sparano gives the final call on a player when the clock winds down. However, I can certainly see us adding, or even eliminating, players to our board based on Sparano's insistence.

Thus, we could potentially lose out on guys Sparano doesn't like, even if Ireland does. Sparano could easily insist that Henne be given another year, and they may be inclined to listen. This could certainly have an impact, even if he doesn't have final say on draft picks.

Date: January 10, 2011 04:53PM

Quote:

"Well they're certainly not going to ignore his opinion from this point on"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
You are positive of that? How are you so sure? How do you know?

---------------------

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:39PM

I just read that the Dolphins are looking at bringing on Rob Chudzinski to be the new OC. I wouldn't give up on Henne just yet if Chud is the guy. He made a Pro-Bowler out of Derek Freaking Anderson.

Date: January 10, 2011 06:31PM

Date: January 11, 2011 08:09AM

But you gave a fact when you said "Well they're certainly not going to ignore his opinion from this point on"....

That doesnt sound like an opinion. Kind of sounds like you are stating an fact.

---------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 03:53PM by Aqua&Orange.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:11AM

Sparano has more of a voice in player selection but Ireland still has the final say.

I'm sure that there will be consessions made between the two on these matters but Ireland makes the final call on players.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:20AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sparano has more of a voice in player selection
> but Ireland still has the final say.
>
> I'm sure that there will be consessions made
> between the two on these matters but Ireland makes
> the final call on players.

They'll trade their player cards and fantasy stats...

Date: January 11, 2011 08:26AM

I like how you're naive enough to assume what you want to happen is actually what will happen.

Date: January 11, 2011 03:54PM

Not naive at all.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.