HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bad drafting and free agent signings
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Bad drafting and free agent signings
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: December 20, 2010 04:40PM

lead to this teams downfall over the last 2 years. Ultimately if Sparano and Ireland are fired it will be because they failed to make this team better over the last 2 years. Some would even say that the talent level is worse this year than in 08. Too many wasted draft picks and players who haven't panned out will lead to a roster overhaul come season's end me thinks. This brain trust clearly h as not kept with the rest of the division as far a restocking talent point blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad drafting and free agent signings
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 20, 2010 04:45PM

In my opinion, it was because they kept a Jim Brown-era Offensive Coordinator longer than 1 season and they could not find a franchise QB....

Ultimately, we might be one of the top 3 AFC teams if we had drafted Matt Ryan.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 20, 2010 05:42PM

The 2010 team talent wise is much better than it was in 2008. The biggest problems are in this order;

1. Poor offensive system.
2. Predictable playcalling.
3. Poor playcalling....ie, wildcat, etc.
4. Injuries to players we can't replace without a significant dropoff.
5. Almost total lack of speed on offense resulting in few big plays.
6. Average to poor running game.
7. Erratic quarterback play.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: December 20, 2010 07:25PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:12AM

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 02:02AM

If they draft a top qb I actually wint watch them next year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 02:02AM by dolfan1.

Date: December 21, 2010 03:39AM

Well their talent has regressed Matt Roth cut and gone Jason Taylor, Joey Porter, Andre Goodman Reynaldo Hill. Hell even Ted ginn was fast and could stretch the field. How many offensive linemen has this team replaced, and why this O line can't run block very well or pass protect an immobile QB like Henne. Say what you want when you get rid of core vetersns to make your roster younger and cheaper you essentially ruin a teams chemistry. Lastly and this is the big one in my opinion this brain trust thought that Henne was a franchise QB, and they could not have been more wrong. Henne reminds me so much of John Beck that it's freaking scary immoble, happy feet and scared in the pocket. This team is close however personel decisions have got to be made for the betterment of this franchise, and not the bottom line. I think it might be too late for this brain trust anyway. I think Ross has seen enough to want a fresh start so that he can really start winning.

Posted by: CG ()
Date: December 21, 2010 03:43AM

I don't understand. What will drafting a QB in the first round accomplish? Do we draft a QB for the sake of saying we have a first round QB even if he does not develop into a legitimate NFL player. Most of the QB coming out have major question marks excluding A. Luck. Even with Luck who is considered the most "pro ready" ( remind me of Clausen last year) has a question mark regarding his overall arm strength. Some people say his passes remind them of Pennington, accurate but float. Overall, I believe that he will be good but you'll have to sacrifice this draft and part of next to get him and who would do that if you're not guaranteed he will be an all pro QB.

Date: December 21, 2010 03:47AM

I dont even care about Roth getting cut. To me, a player like him is easily replaceable.

But, with our QB woes, a franchise QB getting passed in the draft is a tough pill to swallow.

---------------------

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 21, 2010 03:59AM

I don't have as much of a problem with the drafting (outside of the Pat White fiasco) as much as I do with the FA signings.

Mistake number 1...

We had a top ranked running game and they screwed it up. Injuries had a part in that with the losses of Nate Garner, Smiley and Jake Grove but they should have known better than to give big contracts to injury risks like Grove and Smiley. I mean...what were they thinking? Several veteran FA's were floating around that went on to have success for other teams but they were passed over for Smiley and Grove.

Mistake number 2...

The failure to find a decent TE outside of Fasano is ridiculous. We had most of our success running the ball in two TE sets and we have practice squad material as our #2 TE's...whoever they are from week to week.

Mistake number 3...

Another Huge problem we have is the INABILITY to develop a QB. Henning is most likely going to retire and we will have a new OC which will probably want his own people under him. David Lee has done an awful job with our QB's. Personally after a full year as a starter, I have seen enough from Henne to say that he DOES NOT HAVE THE "IT" factor. I think he could have played better with better one on one coaching and would have been able to have more success if they hadn't destroyed the running game and the TE depth....that being said...his window is closed and he will probably never be better than most backups in this league. Why is it that he doesn't throw deep outs when he has a very strong arm? Accuracy problems? bad coaching?

Another problem is that the coaches have no idea how to utilize play makers on offense. Marshall has had the worst year of his career. Ronnie finally stayed healthy for a season and had his worst year and same story for Ricky. Yes the O-line is to blame as well but they are better than that.

A big question for me is who made some of the personnel decisions? Did Parcels leave because of Ireland's decisions or because he knew that he, himself screwed up. I guess we will find out this year if Jeff is retained.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 21, 2010 04:04AM

Well, to be fairly honest, David Lee is though of as a *GREAT* QB coach, how much of Chad Henne's lack of development should be blamed on, well, Chad Henne.

The guy might have reached his ceiling. You can not develop a QB more than his ceiling. There is a certain point where a QB is only so good.

But, Henning can be blames for his timing of bad playcalling and putting Henne is positions he might not be as comfortable with.

I honestly think David Lee is not to blame.

---------------------

Date: December 21, 2010 04:30AM

Dangit who is to blame as we sit with a 7-7 record and mired in mediocrity. It is the front office and the coaching staff. They are responsible,and they are going to be the fall guys.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:33AM

Date: December 21, 2010 05:51AM

Well whatever you call it this organization has still done a poor job in rebuilding thid once proud franchise.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 21, 2010 08:01AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, to be fairly honest, David Lee is though of
> as a *GREAT* QB coach, how much of Chad Henne's
> lack of development should be blamed on, well,
> Chad Henne.
> > The guy might have reached his ceiling. You can
> not develop a QB more than his ceiling. There is a
> certain point where a QB is only so good.
> But, Henning can be blames for his timing of bad
> playcalling and putting Henne is positions he
> might not be as comfortable with.
>
>
> I honestly think David Lee is not to blame.

I would be interested to hear the theory behind the statement that he is thought of as a "great" QB coach. He has developed who in the NFL?

He was QB coach for the cowboys and Romo for one year and Romo turned the corner the year after Lee left to go back to Arkansas as the OC/QB coach. Romo was developed for 2 years before Lee even took control of the QB coaching position.

So that's one QB and one year in the NFL. Then he coached Henne who has not evolved much at all. Thigpen who hasn't played up to his potential and Pennington, who was already a vet by that time.

He also had his shot to develop another Michigan QB who was more highly touted than Henne when the Cowboys picked up Drew Henson. We all know how that turned out.

Even in stints as QB coach at Arkansas....84-87....no NFL QB recruits.

94-2000....no NFL QB's.

??????

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 09:50AM

Maybe its better if the NFL goes to a lockout next year. Gives us time to think things through

Date: December 21, 2010 12:27PM

He spends most of his off-time teaching QB's.

Did you forget, he was the one that Tim Tebow paid out of pocket to assist him in his passing techniques.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.