HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The REAL TRUTH about “dropped interceptions”
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The REAL TRUTH about “dropped interceptions”
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:32PM

IMO it’s hard to believe some of the comments around here about Sean Smith this game. The dude played a very good game, excellent open field tackling in run support, got his hands on a number of passes (stopping completions) and ALL some of you can talk about are the potential “INTs” the kid missed?!

Let me give you a basic lesson in football. The defenses #1 priority is to STOP the opposing offense from scoring. And HOW MANY points did we give up today? Yet all you talk about are the supposed “missed INT’s” rather than give credit to STOPPING completions (the kids #1 job).

Obviously we can all agree the kids hands need work. But just because Henne is totally incompetent as a QB and has a hard time scoring if he’s given the ball fist and goal at the nine – that’s NOT the defenses fault. The offense is responsible for scoring points first and foremost. Lets’ be honest. Just because Henne can’t get the job done don’t put the blame on a CB who’s actually STOPPING completions and not giving up points.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The REAL TRUTH about “dropped interceptions”
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:33PM

YEah, he did play a "good" game.

But we strive for "great" games around here, Stank.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:36PM

He did play well. But, he dropped 3 interceptions that hit him on both hands. And 2 of them would have been returned for TDs. Those are missed opportunities. Good teams capitalize on those. Look at New Orleans last season. Smith has 1 INT in two seasons, and more drops than you can count. He needs serious, serious work on his hands. Interceptions are momentum changing plays. You can't keep dropping them.

Date: December 12, 2010 05:38PM

Exactly, Mark.

The undertone to this thread is StankyHalibut, wants to keep the bashing on Henne, and not have any other player criticized. Only Henne.

---------------------

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:39PM

Date: December 12, 2010 05:44PM

If Henne was worth a crap we would have won this game going away. In fact is he was was playing at a high level we'd be 9-2 or 8-3 worst case. It is so obvious WHY we're floundering just above 500 and its not beacause the CB's have dropped a few INT's. That happens to every team.

The simple truth is the offense is inept. And Thig and Henne are both junk. I hope I'm proven wrong. But the Henne defenders are really on the wrong side of the issue at this point. And it only gets more obvious every game. Sorry. But the proof is on the field.

Date: December 12, 2010 05:46PM

The Dolphins are among the worst in the league in turnover ratio. After today's game, I believe we now have 15 dropped INT, including numerous ones that could have gone for TDs (Smith (3), Sapp (2), Allen, Carroll, Dansby, and Langford). We had dropped INTs that could have gone for TDs in the losses to the Jets, Ravens, Bears, and Browns. Could any of those made a difference in those games? Obviously, the Carroll play against the Bronws would have meant a win. The Langford one against the Jets was a 14 point swing, so that game could have swing in our favor. But, he is a DE, so it's tougher to expect him to hang onto that ball. The Smith dropped pick-6 against Baltimore would have given us a shot. Same with the Dansby one against the Bears. It's not outrageous to think that we could have two more wins today if we could catch the ball on defense. Those are all missed opportunities.

And they are missed opportunities for the offense. Interceptions give you a shorter field to work with, in many cases. We have had only 12 "first and goal" situations on offense all season. Think we could have benefited from a short field a few times?

Date: December 12, 2010 05:52PM

Seriously. The defense gives up 6 and NO TD's and you guys are complaining???

Wow.

That's beyond ridiculous IMO. Just because Henne is so inept and can’t sustain a drive and score – you now think it’s the defenses responsibility to win the game by themselves (stop scoring and outscore the opposing offense on their own)?

Simple questions. Does Henne have any responsibility in this???

Date: December 12, 2010 06:04PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
YEah, he did play a "good" game.

But we strive for "great" games around here,Stank.

smiling smiley

I know you're being totally sarcastic because if you really meant that you would vomit on your keyboard from our QB play.

Greatness? I think not.

Well, do you get sick from it?

Date: December 12, 2010 06:05PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> If Henne was worth a crap we would have won this
> game going away.

And the same is true if Sean Smith could catch the ball.

Was that Henne allowing a sack, QB pressure, or knock down on almost every pass attempt? People will say we had a great pass rush today. We had 5 sacks. Guess what? The Jets had 5 sacks, too. And we had half as many pass plays as the Jets.

Was that Henne leaving Shaun Ellis completely unblocked, causing a fumble? No, that was Lydon Murtha not blocking anyone on the play.

Did you notice Jeron Mastrud and Ronnie Brown attempting to double team a pass rusher on another play, and neither one blocking him?

How about Ricky Williams fanning on two blitz pickups right up the middle?

Was that Henne dropping passes? Marshall added 2 more to his team leading total, and Bess dropped a 3rd down conversion.

Was that Henne averaging 3.2 yards per carry? And 3.7 yards per carry for the season?

Was that Henne failing to get any separation on pass routes?

And we still have no pass attempts to a TE not named Fasano, all season!

Is that Henne running a passing scheme from 1980?

This team has a lot of issues on offense, starting with very poor line play, particularly in the interior. To continue to blame Henne for all of the offensive woes is ridiculous.

Seriously, look at the receiving weapons we have.

Brandon Marshall, huge, physical, not fast, drops a lot of passes, has never averaged a lot of yards per catch or a lot of TDs per season. A 4th rd pick when drafted, because he has flaws.

Davone Bess, small, slow. Ran a 4.7 40, which is why he was undrafted. He is great in the slot, although not in Welker's class. But, he is not effective lined up outside.

Brian Hartline, runs a 4.55. Has made some big plays. Has been caught from behind on every one of them. 4th rd pick.

Marlon Moore, pretty fast guy, not experienced. Didn't catch many passes at Fresno State. Undrafted rookie.

Roberto Wallace, good size, good speed. Not experienced at all. Didn't catch many passes at San Diego State, and played soccer growing up, not football.

Is there another team in the league without a WR who was drafted above the 4th round?

Anthony Fasano, a second round draft pick. A solid player. But, known more for his blocking skills than his receiving skills.

Dedrick Epps, Mickey Shuler, and Jeron Mastrud. All undrafted rookies who were cut by other teams.

We have 8 WR and TE on the roster as of today. And 5 of them are undrafted free agents. We have 3 more WR on the practice squad. All were undrafted free agents. What other team builds their receiving corps this way?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:24PM

Great Post as usual DolfanMark but you are wasting your time.

I began reading the beginning of his first post and was thinking at first, "yeah, no reason to get down on Sean Smith, it was a wet day and many receivers, including those of the Jets were dropping the ball. I know Stank won't agree with me on Nolan Carroll in the Browns game but I'm not about to get on Sean Smith."

But then, he starts ragging on Henne. Now I think that this was not one of Henne's good games but he did get us our 10 points. He was the one who scrambled to get us in field goal range and he did throw the touchdown pass.

But the difference between me and Stank (which A & O has officially renamed you) is that I see defects in the play and coaching of many parts of this team and since Stank has the JUVENILE view that the quarterback is responsible for wons and losses, he went right ahead and began blaming Henne.

Date: December 12, 2010 06:27PM

Dolphanmark:

Wow.

Well, and to think of it. The same regime that made ALL the collective mistakes you indicate also drafted Henne as our QB. Are you somehow saying they hit the mark with him -- but have somehow “missed” with everyone else?

That seems like a pretty far-fetched reach to me. But I get the conspiracy theory thing. For whatever reason the entire offense, including coaching, was designed to make Mr. Henne look bad.

OK. I’m with you.

On a different note. I started noting plays today and stopped after two series because the mistakes by Henne where so many and obvious it was pointless.

Date: December 12, 2010 06:37PM

ChyrenB, as always your "quotes" directed towrds me are way off base. So what's new.

Yea, it's a team game. Never said it wasn't.

BTW. Any issue with 55 yards on like 5 of 18?

That's OK in your book right?

Really solid QB play today in your opinion?

Dude. I'm not making this shit up.

Sean Smith actually made plays today.

Why are you so supportive/defensive regarding Henne and yet you disrespect every other player on the team (blaming them for Henne's unending fockups)?

Date: December 12, 2010 06:41PM

Hey folks, do I really need to reply to Stank? Just re-read my post and then read his "misread" of my post.

The man is either an idiot or an illiterate.

Hey, Stank, get another person to read the posts for you.

Date: December 12, 2010 06:42PM

Date: December 12, 2010 06:47PM

ChyrenB, I really feel for you man. This whole internet board thing is like really important to you isn't it?

I mean it's like you really take this serious, like it really matters. I'm sorry for that.

Keep your head up kid.

Date: December 12, 2010 06:56PM

You have lost your mind, Stank.

You've gone around the bend on Henne as much as WeLead.

And when you can't respond to posts, you try to say something which you think is cute and which you think will have the other posters forget about the points being discussed.

Date: December 12, 2010 07:07PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:13PM

The CBs can work on catching in the offseason. This is something they can learn. Good coverage is more important.

Date: December 12, 2010 07:15PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 12, 2010 08:57PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Seriously. The defense gives up 6 and NO TD's and
> you guys are complaining???
>
> Wow.
>
> That's beyond ridiculous IMO. Just because Henne
> is so inept and can’t sustain a drive and score
> – you now think it’s the defenses
> responsibility to win the game by themselves (stop
> scoring and outscore the opposing offense on their
> own)?
>
> Simple questions. Does Henne have any
> responsibility in this???

Yes he does...but Marshall, Fasano and Hartline have more drops this year than a bag of gummies and our running game is mostly pathetic. Add to that Henning's very suspect play calling a plethora of injuries, piss poor special teams the first half of the season, sloppy tackling, missed interceptions, and an ultra conservative offensive scheme and it all adds up to a 7-6 record and a struggling, inconsistent team.

How many drops did Marshall have today anyway? How many of those could have made a big difference in the game..especially if Smith catches a couple of those almost ints.

The issue is simple the entire team is responsible for the poor play...not just Henne. The only players on our roster that are above critisim this season are Fields, Carpenter, and Wake. EVERYONE else is a part of the problem and needs to do a better job...JMO.

Date: December 12, 2010 09:29PM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 13, 2010 03:44AM

Let's face it, if guys with the speed quickness and athleticism to cover NFL receivers could catch, they'd be receivers not DB's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 03:45AM by KB.

Date: December 13, 2010 06:06AM

ChyrenB I stopped trying to make "sense" because it doesn't seem to matter much. Regardless of the facts on the field a whole parade of folks in these here parts what to blame the CB's or the WR's or alien abduction theories on WHY the Offense is rock bottom in the league -- and our collective QB grade is "F."

I simply say the obvious is most obvious. Yesterday for example, it's a damn good thing we were matched up against Sanchez because he STUNK the place up with his play. Of course our D was a big factor in that stink but it helped a LOT playing against him.
Now just check this point out and really try to have a an open mind and some intellectual integrity.

If Henne was playing like a real Franchise QB this year -- and by that I mean hitting the crucial throws, making big plays when they are there, sustaining drives, and getting the ball in the end zone, this TEAM would be 9-2. The absolute worst case IMO is 8-3.

The degree of "success" this team has attained this year has come with a huge handicap at the QB position. The ONLY question is how important is that position in the NFL?

It is a team game. But QB play in the NFL disproportionally impacts the outcome. Bottom line, if your QB SUCKS your team will lose more often than not. Now get this trough your head Einstein, I did NOT say the QB’s wins or loses on his own. In fact Henne has shown us that a team can win despite horrible QB play. But it helps a lot when the opposing teams QB play is horrible as well.

Date: December 13, 2010 07:50AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> ChyrenB I stopped trying to make "sense" because
> it doesn't seem to matter much. Regardless of the
> facts on the field a whole parade of folks in
> these here parts what to blame the CB's or the
> WR's or alien abduction theories on WHY the
> Offense is rock bottom in the league -- and our
> collective QB grade is "F."

RESPONSE: What the "parade" of folks are trying to get through your thick head has failed. Right here you think that some are blaming cbs and some are blaiming wrs. Then in the NEXT SENTENCE you blame the QB. what they are trying to tell your (nice) butt is that it takes a whole team to make a loss. You are the only one blaming one component and you go ahead and do it again below in this post. Heaven help me. This clown actually blames other posters for picking on various components and then picks on a component himself. We are the ones frustrated, Stank. Instead of trying to be Nasty why don't you give the posts to a friend, discuss it with them, discuss your responses before you make them and let him tell you what is or is not an appropriate response.

I'm being serious. This is tiring. YOu are the most illogical person on this board.

>
> I simply say the obvious is most obvious.

TRANSLATION: "That the QB is responsible for us not winnning 100-0--signed Stank."

> Yesterday for example, it's a damn good thing we
> were matched up against Sanchez because he STUNK
> the place up with his play.

RESPONSE: Here you even PROVE your "Quarterback is Everything" philosophy by saying Sanchez was responsible for the Jets loss. Did you SEE HOW MANY PASSES INCLUDING THAT ENDZONE TOUCHDOWN PASS THAT THE JETS RECEIVERS DROPPED? DID YOU SEE HOW CAMERON WAKE STAYED IN HIS FACE?

GO BACK TO WATCHING PEE WEE FOOTBALL.

>Of course our D was a
> big factor in that stink but it helped a LOT
> playing against him.

RESPONSE: And BRANDON FIELDS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT DEFENSE???? Also, did it help NOT PLAYING AGAINST TOM BRADY? CERTAINLY! Would a Jon Kitna or any other average QB faired better against us? Not a helluva lot better.

> Now just check this point out and really try to
> have a an open mind and some intellectual
> integrity.
>
> If Henne was playing like a real Franchise QB this
> year -- and by that I mean hitting the crucial
> throws, making big plays when they are there,
> sustaining drives, and getting the ball in the end
> zone, this TEAM would be 9-2. The absolute worst
> case IMO is 8-3.

RESPONSE: He's a third-year Quarterback not a "Franchise" QB, (silly person). A "Franchise" QB is one where you put the "FRANCHISE" tag on him and the other teams can't touch him and you must offer him a certain price.

Is that the problem? You don't know your terms. Or are you (ignorant) enough to expect him to be a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady.

>
> The degree of "success" this team has attained
> this year has come with a huge handicap at the QB
> position. The ONLY question is how important is
> that position in the NFL?

RESPONSE: It's important like every other position. Important but not the determinative position just like no other position is the determinative position.

You can have Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, or Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas but if the receivers can't catch the ball, your team will match their greatness and vice versa for having great receivers and no quarterbacks.

You had a Dan Marino and a great passing team that ran up the score even without good running backs and yet we never won a Super Bowl, why? Not because of the absence of a running game but because of the absence of a DEFENSE.

What everybody has been tryhing to get through your THICK head is that it takes a whole team to win.

>
> It is a team game. But QB play in the NFL
> disproportionally impacts the outcome.

RESPONSE: Not "disproportionally." Maybe a bit more than other positions but noT DISPROPORTIONALLY. If so, then Marino would have had 5 SB rings.

Bottom
> line, if your QB SUCKS your team will lose more
> often than not. Now get this trough your head
> Einstein, I did NOT say the QB’s wins or loses
> on his own. In fact Henne has shown us that a team
> can win despite horrible QB play. But it helps a
> lot when the opposing teams QB play is horrible as
> well.

RESPONSE: You are wrong again. Henne could have played the same and if we had caught those interceptions we would have won 27-3. On the other hand, let's say we caught those interceptions and Brandon has just an AVERAGE PUNTING DAY and not the FANTASTIC punting day he had. Then we either win 27-24 or we lose 30-27.

See (my friend)! It's a lot more complicated than you pea-brain can take it.

You just can't separate out the components of a game that easily. Now I know you don't have the equipment to think more than on a childish level. But please try before you post.

-----
Mod's edits in parenthesis. ChyrenB: you convey your points better without namecalling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 08:03AM by JC.

Date: December 13, 2010 08:09AM

So what's your point ChyrenB?

Frankly I find your writing "style" a tad confusing structurally and somewhat littered with fragments. Though I dig poetry with such stylistic verve and incongruity I doubt your Christmas tree has all its lights on.

Yesterday was a prime example in how great teams win with great punters. So I’m not sure why you’re down on ours. Did you read that in the bathroom or in the library with a candlestick with Professor Plum?

No clue whatsoever. Not even now?

Furthermore, the logistical complications of moving to Slovakia are entirely consistent with the rubberized WR’s we have, the porcelain linemen and the petrifaction of Sean Smith’s hands. I’ll have you know I said that first well before you did.

Continue playing at your own risk.

smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2010 08:35AM

So where is the silica that transformed Smith's hands into petrifaction?

---------------------

Date: December 13, 2010 08:40AM

That's a GREAT question.

The first place I would check: cement manufactures and/or distributors in the greater Davie area.

Most likely it’s somewhere in the water supply.
Fact: Smith is a notorious germ phobic and he washes his HANDS constantly at the training compound.

If I was his agent I’d get a PI on this right away.

Date: December 13, 2010 10:59AM

Notice how Stank did not respond to any of the many points that tore down every argument he has. Instead, he just jokes his way out of the matter. Oh well, if you surrender there is no point in beating a dead horse. (See moderators, I didn't say "dumb" horse, so you don't have to edit it.)

Date: December 13, 2010 11:10AM

ChyrenB

Your “points” are so finely woven. So deeply subtle, and…you’ve admitted to setting “traps” so I’m on guard for your subterfuge and random gambits – you smarty pants sponge bob.

You seem like a nice boy and I don’t want to upset your little red wagon but…

WHY WHY WHY do you continue to somehow create loose associations and/or indirect comparisons with Mr. Henne and Mr. Marino?

That’s not nice. And furthermore it violates basic decorum to throw a skunk on the same flame you’re grilling Kobe beef. And it doesn’t small nice either.

Stank out.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.