HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cam Newton is finished as a quarterback
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Cam Newton is finished as a quarterback
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 11, 2010 05:39PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cam Newton is finished as a quarterback
Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: December 11, 2010 06:05PM

just of the ones that are of my time here Leinart has the potential to do good things, but the relaxed lifestyle he learned from california and having so many things basically given to him he has never had to make any attempt at anything, Troy Smith has been okay in his chances at playing time and i think he could be a solid starter in the league, as for Tebow and Bradford jury is still out, If bradford keeps improving then damn he is gonna be good, and if Tebow is as serious as he seems to be about being NFL caliber than he can be really good too.

Thats potential for at least 7 of the last 15 to be successful.

But still a really low percentage and pretty bad if you ask me.

As for Cam Newton, he will end up being most likely another Micheal Vick, the pre-prison Vick who will always wanna run and dissapoint through the air

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: December 11, 2010 06:28PM

While Leinart has a ton of potential and I really liked him coming out of college (wanted the Phins to draft him) he has not in any meaningful way ever been able to translate that potential into being a solid pro. Troy Smith is another average guy that occasionally shows signs of brilliance but never puts it all together, Bradford is a solid maybe guy and Tebow I don't think will ever be any good in the pros. (I do want to see him do well however)

The problem is the award itself...its the death knell the majority of the time for quarterbacks.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:31AM

Bradford may be the best QB to come out of college in the last 10 years or so IMO. I think that kid is going to be SPECIAL if he holds together physically.

A bunch of those Heisman QB's were never projected to light it up in the NFL (i.e., Torretta, Ward, Wuerffel) so I don't think it means much either way.

Didn't Tony Mandrich win the Outland or whatever? College hype via awards really doesn't mean much in terms of what a kid can really produce in the NFL.

At first glance, this kid Cam Newton looks like a pretty raw prospect to me. But I haven't watched crap of his games so...

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:32AM

Bradford is legit.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:36AM

i really dont see Newton producing in the NFL because of his playing style, and because his dad has already shown that he is a spoiled wannabe rich kid, and he will never try to improve himself to any degree.

My guess is he will be a Raider.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:10AM

Are you guys really that shortsighted!?

This guy is a cross between Ben Roethelisberger and Michael Vick!!

For a defense, he's a nightmare to plan for.

I'd love taking the guy!!

In his entire career to this point, he has taken whatever team he was on, put them on his back and won championships.
What's not to like!??

That Heisman stat is bogus!!
Good thing Peyton didn't win it(in a close vote came in 2nd), he'd have really sucked.

Date: December 12, 2010 07:34AM

It does not mean that players that have won the Heisman can't be effective, highly productive and even great NFL quarterbacks...

Just look at Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett (who also struggled ALOT and was in fact labled a bust before the light came on for him BTW), Vinny Testaverde, and Carson Palmer for evidence of that fact.

Then to a lesser degree you have Bradford (currently anyway), Smith and Flutie.

It can happen and Manning would have been the same player he is currently even if he had won the award, a great one...the odds are just extremely long when drafting a Heisman quarterback. As a rule, once you win that award as a quarterback, your career IS in fact, over.

The Heisman stat is NOT bogus...its a career ending curse for quite a bit better than 80% of the quarterbacks that win it going all of the way back to the awards inception.

I wish Newton the best and hope turns out to be a guy that sucessfully bucks the trend...I just wouldn't bet on it.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: December 12, 2010 08:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.