HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I like Cam Newton but...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I like Cam Newton but...
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 08, 2010 11:13AM

What is the point of drafting another QB (please hear me out first)?

henne played for a pro style offense in Michigan so he was ahead of most rookies coming into the league. he sat behind a GREAT teacher in penni and learned how to be a qb. He is now in his third season (when qb's are supposed to peak) and the bottom line is 12TD and 15int, that just aint gettin it done.

My question is why? I am convinced that henne has all the tools to be a franchise qb but he is not looking like it. I am curious if you think this staff is not capable of developing a qb (not uncommon, unfortunately i think a large portion of coaching staffs cant properly develop qb's which is why they seem to be hit or miss).

If this is the case and we cant develop qb talent then does it make sense drafting cam who when I watch him is waaaayyyy behind the curve compared to how polished henne was coming out of college... thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I like Cam Newton but...
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 11:23AM

Andrew Luck. That's who we need to get, somehow some way. Cam newton I'm not overly thrilled with

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 11:23AM

I think Henne is slow to develop. He still locks on to recievers, gets confused by coverage, doesnt make hot reads well and fails to adapt to routes that are not run crisp, Last week, he showed, the smartness in tucking in and running a few times to get a positive play and even a first down. Henne is just inconsistent, can you fix consistency, I think he has a 50/50 shot, and ext year would be the year.
THis really isnt his third year, he played 2/3 of a season last year, and then this year.

Cam Newton defintely is not a polished pocket passer I agree. I think it is a good idea to draft another QB to at least challenge Henne for the spot next year. If the coaches are questioning Henne they need to create alternatives. At this point Henne is the best option Miami has, until He either cements his playing status or we create a better alternative.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 08, 2010 12:51PM

We need to:

1. Pick up a decent FA vet QB in the offseason.
2. Draft O-Line, TE, RB in the first 3-5 rounds. Only after THAT should we pick a QB. Who knows? Maybe we'll get the next Tom Brady! I don't think we can count on it though.

Next year we need enough DECENT QBs in camp to push Henne. This past TC we had weak-armed Pennington, Pat White, and Thigpen. Henne was designated as our top QB when camp began. Thigpen was never given enough consideration. Pat White flopped. Pennington looked good in reps, but never took a hit.

SO...we need better QBs in camp, but I'm not expecting we find our future franchise guy..unless it happens to be Henne afterall.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 01:40PM

please stop with the andrew luck talk. you may as well talk about getting payton manning or tom brady. it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 02:51PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 08, 2010 04:18PM

I think Cam Newton is the most gifted QB this planet has ever seen.

Colin COwherd spoke of him today and said he throws 40 yard out patterns flat footed like Peyton Manning throws 20 yard outs.

The guy is amazing, but.......

Can he read complex NFL defenses?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 08, 2010 04:26PM

I don't get the question in a number of ways, really...

Besides the obvious fact that QB is by FAR the most important position in the NFL I can’t imagine why any team would want a really good one. And draft accordingly…

#1 Henne was NOT some phenom in college. He was “OK” at best.

#2 Henne came in with a lot of baggage, such as locking onto receivers, poor field vision, poor pocket sense, no touch (a classic one trick pony big arm) and a noted tendency to not play at his best when it really mattered (vis`-a-vis a classic choker).

#3 Coaches don’t play. And when you talk about a proven history, Dan Henning has one. Chad Henne does not.

#4 If it looks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk, it’s probably a skunk. Henne’s body of work simply is not indicative of a significant player on the rise. He has fundamentally failed to meet basic expectations and that means he’s NOT getting the job done.

#5 It’s better to admit the obvious rather than burry your head in the sand and expect a turd to magically morph into a block of gold. We simply do NOT have a QB on our roster we can entrust our future with. End of story.

#6 Denial is not the answer. We absolutely blew it by not taking Ryan when we had the chance and we need to ADMIT that, learn from the mistake, and go out and make things right.

#7 Henne cannot be trusted with the future of this franchise but the REGIME is accountable foremost for wasting 3 years on a failed project. Can they be trusted for another attempt? Can they fix their own screw-up? Do they deserve the chance?

Personally, I don’t think so at this point.

But this franchise has been like a dog chasing its tail for many years now, and I guess one more season would tell the whole story…

Date: December 08, 2010 04:28PM

Just Ban him.

Trying to flame the board. Exactly what Phinfan said not to do.

---------------------

Date: December 08, 2010 04:49PM

Dude, do you have an issue with any perspective that doesn't fit your tiny little box?

What do you want around here, a bunch a drones agreeing with your hype about Henne?

Ban yourself if you don't like the fact that Henne is simply a disappointment and regretfully he's set this franschise back in a significant way.

Of course that's MY OPINION. And of course you have every right to disagree. But when you talk about "banning" you come off like a li'l girl IMO...

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 04:53PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just Ban him.
>
>
> Trying to flame the board. Exactly what Phinfan
> said not to do.

if you are referring to bignastfish's post, he said nothing remotely banworthy. in fact it was pretty insightful. if criticism the team is considered verbotten around here this would be a pretty boring and stupid board.

Date: December 08, 2010 05:14PM

Every post is Henne. Henne this, Henne that.

We could be talking about our defensive secondary and he wil ruin the thread with a Henne post.

---------------------

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 08, 2010 09:12PM

BigNastyFish is a "Matty-ball" guy.

Date: December 09, 2010 02:15PM

Aqua, if Henne was a good as you seem to believe my bringing him up wouldn't "ruin" a thread -- it would be a positive affirmation.

The fact that you admitted bringing up "Henne ruins a thread" is actually in perfect accord with my point. Thanks Aqua.

As far a Matty Ice, personally I couldn't stand the kid coming out of BC. But then again I'm not in charge of the Miami Dolphin drafts and have ZERO accountability. They, on the other hand, are 100% accountable and in retrospect MISSED on a true Franchise QB exactly at the time we needed one.

You seem to think that's OK, I don't. Not the end of the wOrld unless you live for a football forum where you're constantly proven wrong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.