HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Top 100? -Hardly
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Top 100? -Hardly
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 04, 2010 06:28PM

Whoever picked this mess has got to be kidding. Rice the best football player ever? He may have been the greatest receiver ever(though that is debatable) but the greatest football player? No way. I still think it is: 1. Jim Brown 2. and 3. Dick Butkus and Lawrence Taylor are interchangeable. The rest of the list is fluid, but where is Csonka(widely agreed to be better than Bronko Nagurski in all the papers around the Super Bowl VII timeframe, and he IS on the list) and Dwight Stevenson (widely acknowledged to be, along with Mike Webster, one of the two best centers that ever played the game(Webster is also on the list). Several years ago, the '72 Dolphins were picked as the best team of all time. There is only one player from that team on the list, Paul Warfield, and he went on mostly as a Cleveland Brown. The second place team, the '75 Steelers, had 7 on the list. We don't get no respect.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top 100? -Hardly
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 05, 2010 03:21AM

Lol f. ck the NFL always hating, I am watching network right now, and all the douchbags basically say we don't stand a chance against a well rested Baltimore team, and Jerry Rice number one of all time means that Jerry payed alot of money to get that spot on lock.

The list is ok but yeah its a joke f.ck em.

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: November 05, 2010 05:39AM

I agree Jerry Rice was the best Wide Out ever. Making the 49ers invincible for a Super Bowl run at five times. He make John Taylor look like an elite WR, made Roger Craig into a possible HOF running back and we all know that Montana and Young would be good but not great QB's. Walsh said he was the best player he had ever seen in football, I'm with him, the man had more talent observing ability than anybody in football. Jerry Rice deserves his accolades.

Date: November 05, 2010 05:43AM

I have not seen one talking head on Network TV that has given the Fins the nod over the Ravens. Same with radio and internet betting. I starting to wonder if the team has jumped the shark with it's "barely get it done" attitude. The Ravens are a very well coached and motivated team. Ray Lewis will not tolerate a half-hearted effort, consequently that resonates throughout the team. Joe Flacco is a battle tested young QB who knows how to win and how to put the lights out of an opposing team. Harbaugh will have these guys primed and ready for Sunday's battle.

Date: November 05, 2010 05:55AM

WELEAD thanks for the obvious!!

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 05, 2010 06:15AM

Welead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not seen one talking head on Network TV
> that has given the Fins the nod over the Ravens.
> Same with radio and internet betting. I starting
> to wonder if the team has jumped the shark with
> it's "barely get it done" attitude. The Ravens are
> a very well coached and motivated team. Ray Lewis
> will not tolerate a half-hearted effort,
> consequently that resonates throughout the team.
> Joe Flacco is a battle tested young QB who knows
> how to win and how to put the lights out of an
> opposing team. Harbaugh will have these guys
> primed and ready for Sunday's battle.

Such an obvious troll. You don't even try anymore. Go away putts. No one likes you. Not even your mother. She told me. She don't like you.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 05, 2010 07:02AM

This guy is ridiculous.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 05, 2010 07:32AM

smiling bouncing smileyI expect the Phins to play heads up with the Ravens. There is no reason to believe otherwise. What would be the prediction with the Ravens against the Pack, NE, Or the Jests, or Steelers? Well if not for poor special teams play, a bad cover/slip, and some poor officiating, we are 6-1 at the worst.

So based on that, we should hold our own this week and have a good chance to win.thumbs up

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 05, 2010 07:42AM

Oh sorry, top 100? Jerry Rice should be at least in the top 5.
I have never understood the Bronco Nagurski thing. I never saw him play but can't believe he was and better than Csonka.
Anyone that played with or against Zonk would say the he was a football player's football player. Madden once said that he was the toughest player he ever new. Zonk put his Raiders away more that once and the Raiders were one hell of a team.

LT, and Butkis, deserve to be there. True game changers. Warfield, no doubt would be great today as he was yesterday. He was really something special. He is one big reason that the Phins running game was so good. Talk about stretching the field...
I did get to see Jim Brown. Best RB ever period. Would be a HOF player in todays game too. An unbelievable combination of power and speed.

I actually hate these lists. It's impossible to cross over the old NFL to the New.

Back to work.thumbs down

Date: November 05, 2010 08:10AM

Odenn: why the personal attacks? I come here to discuss the issues with our team, the Miami Dolphins, and create some discussion. I gather the moderators will have to sort this out.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 05, 2010 08:25AM

Don't play stupid. Everyone on this site knows you're here to talk crap about Henne, and anything Dolphins related. You're a Jets fan for gods sake. It's proven fact. Just GO AWAY.

Date: November 05, 2010 08:39AM

Odenn: no I'm not going away. I haven't violated the terms and agreements on this board. It seems, though, you're acting like an Internet Bully and want to Silence anybody that you don't agree with. Is that true?

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 05, 2010 01:31PM

I am sorry but rice was not even the best of all times, he is not even the best WR of all times.

Look at him, he does not have blazing speed, does not have crazy height, not very strong for run blocking, never makes those highlight lynn swann types catches... i mean what makes him the greatest reciever? if i played 20 years in the league I would have all the records as well, anyone would. They have it right with farve, he has all of the records cause he played the longest. Rice is not the best WR of all times, i would even take warfield over rice if you want to be real.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 05, 2010 05:43PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> I am sorry but rice was not even the best of all
> times, he is not even the best WR of all times.
>
> Look at him, he does not have blazing speed, does
> not have crazy height, not very strong for run
> blocking, never makes those highlight lynn swann
> types catches... i mean what makes him the
> greatest reciever? if i played 20 years in the
> league I would have all the records as well,
> anyone would. They have it right with farve, he
> has all of the records cause he played the
> longest. Rice is not the best WR of all times, i
> would even take warfield over rice if you want to
> be real.

There you go again Reppa. No Rice was NOT a speedster, but he was the most dangerous receiver on the field in his prime. He was ALWAYS a threat to go for a TD (his YAC was sick!). He had hands like glue. He ran extremely precise routes and could fake out even the best CB. Basically, he could get open against anyone...even double coverage, he would catch anything thrown his way, and after he made the catch he was extremely elusive and difficult to tackle.

I'm guessing you didn't watch much of Rice in his heyday.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: November 05, 2010 05:46PM

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: November 06, 2010 05:03AM

From Miami Reppa:

"I am sorry but rice was not even the best of all times, he is not even the best WR of all times.

Look at him, he does not have blazing speed, does not have crazy height, not very strong for run blocking, never makes those highlight lynn swann types catches... i mean what makes him the greatest reciever? if i played 20 years in the league I would have all the records as well, anyone would. They have it right with farve, he has all of the records cause he played the longest. Rice is not the best WR of all times, i would even take warfield over rice if you want to be real."

Interesting opinion and logic. I think of it this way. Statistical data on things like speed, jumping height, arm length, height, all count for athletic potential. Not athletic achievements.

Here's an analogy: I would not place the 72 phins in the top 5 or maybe even top 10 of talented teams. But I would place them at the top of the "best team" because of their performance on the field, not their height, wieght, 40 time, arm length, etc.

That is where many people get the discussion of greatest team of all time confused with the team with the greatest potential of all time. Same with discussions about greatest player of all time or palyer with the greatest potential of all time.

That is why they actually play the game on the field.

Maybe one reason why Jerry Rice was the greatest WR of all time is because he was out there for 20 or so years.

I saw him play and he was simply dominating, for many reasons.

He did have a legendary off season workout marathon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:07AM by Doug-THE-Dolfan.

Date: November 06, 2010 05:20AM

Jerry Rice is easily the greatest WR of all time.....and probably the greatest NFL player as well, regardless of position.

---------------------

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: November 06, 2010 07:45AM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 06, 2010 02:38PM

I never said Rice wasn't a great player. I just don't think he was the greatest ever.

Rick

Date: November 06, 2010 03:22PM

No one single player dominated a position, statistically speaking, as Jerry Rice did.

His numbers will be untouchable. No other positional stats have that much say.

Like they say, records are meant to be broken.....except Jerry Rice'

---------------------

Date: November 07, 2010 02:36AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> No one single player dominated a position,
> statistically speaking, as Jerry Rice did.
>
> His numbers will be untouchable. No other
> positional stats have that much say.
>
>
> Like they say, records are meant to be
> broken.....except Jerry Rice'

Someone will come along and break Jerry's records.

2 reasons why one, this is a passing league now, and two records always get broken.

P.S Peyton Manning is the best player in the history of NFL. Not the best QB, Not the most winning QB, or anything like that, but with attitude, health, Smarts, no one does it better than Manning, the guy comes up with his own plays all the time, Marino would be better if he didnt recieve bum knees. So Marino best QB ever, but Manning better overall player.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 07, 2010 03:46AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> P.S Peyton Manning is the best player in the
> history of NFL. Not the best QB, Not the most
> winning QB, or anything like that, but with
> attitude, health, Smarts, no one does it better
> than Manning, the guy comes up with his own plays
> all the time, Marino would be better if he didnt
> recieve bum knees. So Marino best QB ever, but
> Manning better overall player.

The one thing separating Manning from Rice is winning championships. Although Rice had less to do with that than is coach and QB, he was still on teams that won. Manning IS the QB but hasn't been able to win more than 1. Of course, that DOES separate him from Marino, but I'm comparing Rice to Manning, not Manning to Marino.

Date: November 07, 2010 05:47AM

Rice played for to long, he realy wasnt effective after age 36. He is the best wr or at least top 3 of all time, and deff top 5 players of all time, but number one no.

Manning when his career is finished will prob hold alot of records not as many as Favre because Favre just keeps playing but lets be honest no ones does it better than Manning.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 07, 2010 10:00AM

do you think the ravens will trade us henne for flacco???

Date: November 08, 2010 03:59AM

Rice DOMINATED in the playoffs!

Have you ever seen Peyton Manning's post season statistics??

He is a below average QB in the playoffs. Dominick Rhodes and Joseph Addai should have won the Superbowel MVP, but, they gave it to the Forehead.

---------------------

Date: November 08, 2010 04:07AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Rice DOMINATED in the playoffs!
>
> Have you ever seen Peyton Manning's post season
> statistics??
>
> He is a below average QB in the playoffs. Dominick
> Rhodes and Joseph Addai should have won the
> Superbowel MVP, but, they gave it to the Forehead.

Lol and Henne is the real deal right? You just lost all credible stances on any QB subject related banther on here.

Date: November 08, 2010 04:13AM

Tell me when I said Henne was the real deal, Mia1.

Matter of fact, tell me when I even said Henne was good?

Henne has been terrible, but he still hasnt cost us the games. Thats my point.

You and a select other few have blamed *EVERYTHING* from defensive struggles, to special teams miscues on Henne.

Dont talk about a loss of credibility.....yours went out the window after about the 8th screen name you signed up as.

---------------------

Date: November 08, 2010 04:20AM

I never said Henne was the sole reason this team isnt above .500 infact I just stated the truth about Henne, which was and still is he has horrible pocket awareness which makes him do alot of mistake prone things which leads to overthrown easy TD's, not leading the wr to make better plays, and throwing some picks.

I never blamed anything on henne except yesterday with his horrible 3 int day for MAJORITY of the loss, and I ALSO POSTED ALL YESTERDAY THAT OUR DEFENSE MISSED ALOT OF TACKLES.

If your going to try to make somone look stupid at least get the facts straight, and don't need to try making me look stupid buddy I got that on lock down. Jelous of all my screen names? Not to many guys can handle that many Handles.eye popping smiley

Date: November 08, 2010 04:22AM

Uhhh......

I dont have to try to make you look stupid. It seems to come pretty natural with you and Hokie.

cool smiley

---------------------

Date: November 08, 2010 04:24AM

Exactly my point. I unlike many do not get embarrassed as easy, and can have a good time.

True people will take advantage of my fun easy going light heart, and when they do well we all know what happend to Mikeo....grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.