HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Here is the Problem
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Here is the Problem
Posted by: Wannyblows34 ()
Date: October 30, 2010 12:28PM

When your head coach cheers like you won the super bowl after kicking a field goal, we have a major problem. Did you guys see Sparano's reaction after Carpenter kicked the go ahead field goal at the end before of course they blew it. This guy was celebrating and there was like 4 minutes left in the game LOL, are you kidding me dude??

That's the problem with this team, they can't play a whole game, they're happy with 3 points and it shows. Just look at our head coach's reaction after that kick. If there was 10 seconds left on the clock I understand, we win the game. But with the time left and you're giving the ball back to the Steelers and you act like that. That's just pathetic! This team is reminding me more and more like Wanny's teams, and you should know how I feel about him just look at my name. They have no desire to put a team away, they just want to hold on hope to get a win. We're not going to win anything with these type of leaders, with the exeption of Nolan and the great job he's done with our defense everybody else is garbage. Our defense has won us all 3 games. They put this tough guy front and they're a bunch of punks that can't put teams away and it all starts with our head coach. This guy sucks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here is the Problem
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 30, 2010 02:53PM

So you're saying a coach shouldn't show emotion? You saying a coach shouldn't encourage his players during the game? With a screen name like Wannyblows34, I'd think your opinion would be different. Talk about a coach with no emotion!! Wanny was like Frankenstein on the sidelines. Meanwhile, the guy who replaced him when he stepped down (Jim Bates) was all about emotion, and he managed to fire up the players enough to forget Wanny and start winning games again.

I really have to disagree with you.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 31, 2010 06:20AM

I've seen both types of coaches be successful. Anybody out there remember Tom Landry of the Cowboys? He coached for decades. Dressed up in a suit and hat, complete stone face. Yet he won multiple championships.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 31, 2010 07:03AM

I don't think it has a ton to do with personality. Tom Landry is a great example. But, the mentality point is well made. In that situation last week, Sparano should have been happy with the FG to take the lead, but he also should have been worried about being able to hold the lead, and a little disappointed that they could not score a TD. That was the reality of the situation. And his over the top exuberance shows that he has a little too much faith in this style of victory. You can't always count on sneaking out close wins in the 4th quarter. Kicking a FG to take the lead was a good thing, but it was not something to be fist pumping about. There's this whole thing about being a running team with a great defense. But, we're not there yet. Our running game is lousy, and our defense has been very prone to allowing 3rd and longs to be converted. Yet, his reaction makes it seem like he's coaching the '72 Dolphins, who could win with just running the ball, playing great defense, and safely protecting very small leads.

Date: October 31, 2010 11:04AM

I'm celebrating field goals today.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: October 31, 2010 02:02PM

carpenter is on pace right now to tie for the most field goals in a season, if we keep playing like this last 2 weeks tho he will absolutely obliterate the old record of 40. Nothing new though since we have already had 2 kickers that have set the record previously

stoyanovich in '91 i think set it at 31,
then Mare in '99 kicked 39 of em.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: November 01, 2010 07:21AM

I never said Sparano reminds me of Wannstedt, I said the way the team is playing reminds of Wannstedts teams. Emotion is great, but don't act like you just won when you're far far from it. All I'm saying is they have no desire to put teams away and when I see a reaction like that from the head coach I can see where the players are getting it from. Sorry dude, but field goals don't win games in this league. At some point you have to put a team away and that's by scoring touchdowns. You can't always ask your defense to win the game for you at the end.

Date: November 01, 2010 07:27AM

Wannyblows34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never said Sparano reminds me of Wannstedt, I
> said the way the team is playing reminds of
> Wannstedts teams. Emotion is great, but don't act
> like you just won when you're far far from it.
Emotion is emotion. I have no problem firing up the team for a good play, regardless of WHEN it is during the game.

> Sorry dude, but field goals don't win
> games in this league.
??? Field goals win games all the time!! How long have you been watching football?

Date: November 01, 2010 07:34AM

Wannyblows34 Wrote:
> Sorry dude, but field goals don't win
> games in this league.

Uhmm.... We won because of field goals just yesterday. We scored 15 points on FGs, Cincy scored 14 points total. Even with the TD we eventually scored, we'd have lost were it not for the dreaded (by you) Field Goals.

Here's a more pure example. The Jets score Zero points. Green Bay scores Nine Points (that's three field goals). I'd say Field Goals won a game for Green Bay yesterday (and more importantly, LOST a game for the Jets)

Date: November 01, 2010 07:39AM

I've watched plenty of football baby, don't get smart. I understand the value of a great kicker.

If field goals wins games, why didn't we win the Pitt game? or the Jets game? When you start settling for 3 points instead of 7 throughout the game you're not going to get very far. It's freaking obvious when teams settle. Just look at our last offensive drive of the Bengals game. For someone that has such a high football IQ like yourself you should know this by now.

Date: November 01, 2010 07:50AM

LOL,ok how many 9-0 games do we see in this league?? Give me a break man.

Date: November 01, 2010 07:50AM

You win by scoring more than the other team. We lost those other games because we were outscored. I don't understand what you're trying to say. I would definitely like us to improve our red-zone offense, but I'd much rather take the FG and 3 points than give the ball up on 4th down (like Minnesota did against us a couple times...NOTE: Minny LOST that game).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 07:51AM by montequi.

Date: November 01, 2010 07:54AM

Wannyblows34 Wrote:
> LOL,ok how many 9-0 games do we see in this
> league?? Give me a break man.

Stout defensive teams win games like this all the time. Not saying GB is one of those, but Baltimore won a bunch of low-scoring games by kicking FGs during their Superbowl year.

Date: November 01, 2010 09:14AM

Wannyblows34 Wrote:
> I've watched plenty of football baby, don't get
> smart. I understand the value of a great kicker.
>

Are you sure about that?

> If field goals wins games, why didn't we win the
> Pitt game? or the Jets game?

You are not making one bit of sense here.

>When you start
> settling for 3 points instead of 7 throughout the
> game you're not going to get very far.

You get plenty far if your D can go above and beyond. Which ours did yesterday. Looks like Green Bay's D did also.

If your argument is that the number 7 is greater than the number 3, then that's like arguing the sun comes up every morning.

But we got very far yesterday getting three points on five separate drives. 7 is greater than three, but three is still greater than zero.

It's
> freaking obvious when teams settle. Just look at
> our last offensive drive of the Bengals game. For
> someone that has such a high football IQ like
> yourself you should know this by now.

My IQ is quite high, thanks for noticing.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 01, 2010 09:18AM

I think if our defense dominates it doesnt matter if we score TDs or 3 point fieldgoals. We still win

Look at it this way..........They scored two TDs the bungoles......we scored just one TD. We won.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:39AM

Field Goals not only win games. They also win Super Bowls. How do you think the Patriots won those. Actually all were by three points.Think that is what a FG counts for. By the way awful user name. I had already forgotten that pathetic excuse of a coach. Poor Pitt Panthers. I truly miss Bob Flanders website.

Date: November 01, 2010 01:03PM

By the way awful user name? Says who, you?

Dolphacolyte? You sound like a damn colon cleanser

Alright guys, we'll see how many more games we're going to win if we keep settling for field goals. Can I ask what was the point of signing Marshall if they don't even throw him the ball in the red zone? And i don't want to hear this crap about him being double covered, all the great receivers get double covered. I'm sure he was getting double covered in Denver and that didn't stop him.

Our play calling in the RED ZONE is garbage, but you guys are waiving your pom poms because we're kicking field goals! Imagine if we didn't have Carpenter, boy are we in trouble. Guess what, he can have a bad game also, then what? Our punter is going to win the game for us next.

You mentioned the Patriots right? Dude your pointing out the obvious, Vinatieri was money for them when they needed him. When they needed him!! Kickers have to be clutch, that's they're job. But when a kicker is your best source for scoring points, you're in trouble.

And please stop mentioning the Ravens defense of 10 years ago, how many more defenses have you seen do what they did? NONE!! We had a great defense when Jimmy was here, how many rings did we win?? Our defense is good, but they're not exactly lights out either. Did you see the first drive of the game, please.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.