HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Time to make a statement
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Time to make a statement
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:26AM

It's time to stop being conservative and start crushing teams with blow out scores. Have henne air it out to Marshall. Time to use that arm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time to make a statement
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:43AM

I agree!! Let's open it up! Here are some other things I think we should experiment with:

1. Play Hilliard and Cobbs more on offense and Ronnie less. I was intrigued when they brought in Hilliard at FB when Polite got hurt. Maybe we should save Polite for short yardage situations and play Hilliard and Ricky together in the backfield! Then let Cobbs spell Ricky as a change-up guy.

2. Start Moore over Hartline. Moore may be the closest thing we have to a deep threat. I'd like to see what he can do along side Marshall in the standard offensive set (not just the 4 receiver set).

3. Try lining up Marshall at TE. He's tall enough. He's physical enough. He's also a very good blocker, and, as a receiver, he can blow by any linebacker in the league. If we line up 2 TEs, put Marshall and Fasano in together.

4. Bring back the wildcat with Thigpen as the QB instead of Brown. Everyone agrees Ronnie has lost a step (or 2). Using Thigpen like this has been talked about numerous times. Let's see it for real!

Anyone else have ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 02:44AM by montequi.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:57AM

I think it is time to realize that Ronnie is just not that great and Ricky is getting old and replace them both. A few breakout runs in the last few years is just not enough to keep these guys on the roster

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 05:47AM

I think we should just throw about 4 or 5 deep passes (25+ yards airtime) a game, even more if we are having success. I dont think i've seen that many yet all season. If we would be more aggressive with or play calling on offense i have no doubt that right now we would be 5-1. having only lost to the Pats because lets face it that game was sickening

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 07:49AM

Guy's havnt you been reading my post fellas, I've said time and time and time again that this coaching staff doesnt have the balls to go for the kill, there so in tune with mental errors and mistake free football that they will never allow this team to go do what it does best.

Look at our defense, when Mike Nolan is allowed to call some awsome plays they work, but I get a sense that Sparano keeps reminding him to play it safe don't give up the big score instead of blitzing the sh.it out of there team and forcing turn overs.

I'm telling you our HC, and OC need to go........ long ago so long in fact well you get the point.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:42AM

Henne needs to show that arm off. @#$%& it let's get it done!!! Air that shit up!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 08:43AM by dolfan1.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:58AM

I agree with less playing time for Ronnie. Let Hilliard have a chance. He certainly can't be any slower.

As for airing it out...I think Marshall can go up and get the ball from any db in this league but the problem is that he's drawing double coverage most of the time. Hartline's not cutting it as a number two so Moore and Wallace should get a shot to see if they can be more productive.

Still...the coaching staff is in Henne's head telling him to be conservative. Until that philosophy changes...it'll be business as usual.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:03AM

Henne just needs to become a GD field general and call an audible in the huddle and say alright boys go deep were scoring now! Then see what henning has to say about it when were up by 21 points at the end of games instead of hoping to get down the field and kick a field goal in 2:30 with no timeouts.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:04AM

Marshall is a possession guy and not a blazing speed guy.

He is not Randy Moss. He is not Ted Ginn.

We have no Randy Moss or Ted Ginn. Devon is as close as we get.

The same beautiful, intelligent, knowledgeable coaching staff that everyone seems to put above Wanny and Cam traded Ted Ginn away right when they acquired Marshall, the perfect person to compliment him (or rather Ginn was the perfect person to compliment Marshall) because other teams would not double-team Marshall with Ginn blazing down the field no matter how much they thought that Ginn would have problems catching the ball.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:08AM

Henne's "arm" is not the question. And I'm sure the coaching staff has never considered scoring a lot of points because they prefer really tight games (for superiour TV ratings).

There's only one "problem" with your prescription (i.e., to blow teams out). We need a QB who can engineer TD drives and right now we don't have one.

If we could glue Henne's arm on Pennington we'd have something...

smiling smiley

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 27, 2010 09:08AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marshall is a possession guy and not a blazing
> speed guy.
>
> He is not Randy Moss. He is not Ted Ginn.
>
> We have no Randy Moss or Ted Ginn. Devon is as
> close as we get.
>
> The same beautiful, intelligent, knowledgeable
> coaching staff that everyone seems to put above
> Wanny and Cam traded Ted Ginn away right when they
> acquired Marshall, the perfect person to
> compliment him (or rather Ginn was the perfect
> person to compliment Marshall) because other teams
> would not double-team Marshall with Ginn blazing
> down the field no matter how much they thought
> that Ginn would have problems catching the ball.

Didn't agree with you at the time about Ginn...but I do now.

Date: October 27, 2010 09:19AM

Date: October 27, 2010 09:20AM

Speed my friend. We are talking about speed. As Al Davis says, "Speed kills."

What are you talking about?

Date: October 27, 2010 09:24AM

So again, you think Bess is "fast" like Ginn?

Date: October 27, 2010 09:27AM

No, ha, ha, ha, ha. That's just the point. He is our "weak substitute." That's what I'm saying. We should never have traded Ginn.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:09AM

Date: October 27, 2010 10:16AM

...and as long as I'm at it, we freakin' swapped out all 3 interior O-linemen and are scratching our heads trying to figure out why we can't dominate with the run like we did last year...in an uncapped year! In fact, the only interior O-lineman who was consistent throughout preseason has now sat out the past 4 games while Pat McQuestion-mark chooses to block no one just about every time I see him with an opportunity to do something when he pulls.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:19AM

Ginn would had blossomed with the signing of marshall. I mean either cant be covered one on one....One is going to have single coverage. Imagine that.....Too late to be dreaming about this. And he will deliver a couple blows every year with a home run return..

I hate that we traded ginn as well.

Date: October 27, 2010 10:30AM

One thing to keep in mind about Ginn - he was NOT a hard worker (as documented after his trade) and his influence in the locker room was a real ???

Beyond that, hindsight is always 20/20.

Is he doing anything special in SF?

I haven't followed...

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:32AM

I think the consensus is, it isn't that tough to find a guy with great speed. It's all the other WR skills with it that make a rare commodity. Ginn had speed, but he needed to work on the other parts (route running, catching, etc..) and he didn't show the dedication that we expected.

Date: October 27, 2010 10:32AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:

> If we could glue Henne's arm on Pennington we'd
> have something...

We would have the next dan marino.....

Date: October 27, 2010 10:34AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:

> Is he doing anything special in SF?

I don't think so. Not yet at least.

Date: October 27, 2010 10:39AM

Ginn is just too soft for the NFL. We can reminisce about his amazing speed all we want to but we’re probably better off without him.

The other point is, the league couldn’t think too much about him either since a 5th is all we could get for him. We got Nolan Carroll with that pick and hopefully he turns out to be a player. At least he made the roster…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 10:39AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: October 27, 2010 10:40AM

montequi Wrote:
> I think the consensus is, it isn't that tough to
> find a guy with great speed. It's all the other
> WR skills with it that make a rare commodity.
> Ginn had speed, but he needed to work on the other
> parts (route running, catching, etc..) and he
> didn't show the dedication that we expected.

I agree. Looks like he didnt had the work ethic needed in this league to get to the next level....But he was so freaking fast and quick he made up for it with his return skills....He still has a chance to take his game further when he gets older IMO.

Not enough dedication and he was soft. Afraid to get hit...Ran out of bounds instead of trying to get the extra yard...you know like marshall does....But with that been said marshall is 6'4 and more of a bully against dbs as opposed to ginns 5'11 frame...I think he is like 5'11 no more. and i bet there is like 40 pounds weight difference as well.

Date: October 27, 2010 11:06AM

Ginn had every imaginable thing wrong for a WR and football player, save lack of speed.

That said, he was probably Revis' worst single play last year and he saved our butts in the second NYJ game. I think we'd have been 0-2 against them last year w/o him.

Hypothetically, if he were used correctly and we had Marshall last year, he doesn't drop the pass at the end of the INDY game because he's not on the field...Marshall is, hauling in that pass in the back of the end zone. He doesn't tip the INT to Sharper because he's not on the field...Marshall is, hauling in a deep sideline pass, keeping a drive alive and keeping a TD (another ref gimme) off the board.

Honestly, I don't love the guy...I'm just frustrated that the one thing we apparently need - and had on the roster - is the thing we let go. I'm all for Carroll turning out to be a stud, but right now Ginn is more what we need than Carroll. The exact same Ginn - warts and all - is apparently what we need.

Date: October 27, 2010 11:11AM

tsstamper Wrote:

>
> That said, he was probably Revis' worst single
> play last year and he saved our butts in the
> second NYJ game. I think we'd have been 0-2
> against them last year w/o him.
>

Thats one of the reasons im a fan of him. When you singhanded beat our most hated rival you got my vote.

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: October 27, 2010 11:47AM

they're already bitching about Ginn looking for the sidelines in SFj. That moron Singletary thinks Ginn could be one answer for the offensive woes.

Date: October 27, 2010 01:18PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 01:42PM by samsam3738.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 08:11AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
> I agree with less playing time for Ronnie. Let
> Hilliard have a chance. He certainly can't be any
> slower.
>
> As for airing it out...I think Marshall can go up
> and get the ball from any db in this league but
> the problem is that he's drawing double coverage
> most of the time. Hartline's not cutting it as a
> number two so Moore and Wallace should get a shot
> to see if they can be more productive.
>
> Still...the coaching staff is in Henne's head
> telling him to be conservative. Until that
> philosophy changes...it'll be business as usual.

Amen I agree with that 100 percent GBO.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 28, 2010 09:41AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> BigNastyFish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Is he doing anything special in SF?
>
>
> I don't think so. Not yet at least.

Per NFL.COM : So far this year he has five receptions for 68 yards total. His longest catch for 19 yards, and not TDs.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.