HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Special Teams ramblings..
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Special Teams ramblings..
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 11, 2010 10:51AM

With all the Tedd Ginn talk I was thinking, if our blocking scheme is that bad, could it be we really have NO IDEA how good our return men are? If we fix how we block on kickoffs and punts, could we bring back Clifton Smith? Maybe Nolan Carroll will break out?

Who's to say Ginn wouldn't have gotten killed as a kick returner this year if he was still on our team? I'm just wondering how much better we could be with better coaching but no personnel changes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Special Teams ramblings..
Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:06AM

There is a lot to ramble about in regards to our special teams. Frankly, they systematically suck in all phases of the game.

Blocking on returns, blocking at the line on punts and FGs, coverage. All areas of our special teams have huge problems - except for the skill positions. Our Long Snap, Holds, Punter, and Kicker are good players. But our one skill position that we no longer have talent at is returner. The rest of the blocking and such can be coached. But you can't coach speed.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:11AM

I firmly believe that having just a stud return man isn't good enough. That's like having a HOF QB without a good O'line.

Coverage and blocking is where the most obvious lack of talent lies in the ST game for the Phins. The basic fundamentals need to be addressed or nothing will be accomplished and this team will continue to lose.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:14AM

You really think our kicker is good. Might be good at field goals but his kick-offs suck.
He can't hit the endzone even with the wind.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:32AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really think our kicker is good. Might be good
> at field goals but his kick-offs suck.
> He can't hit the endzone even with the wind.

Disagree, I've seen him hit the endzones. I think even the crappy kickoffs are coaching - particularly the out of bounds stuff. Our ST coach kept on trying to implement this stupid directional kicking game. It never works.

On kickoffs, we need the kicker to kick it as far as he can, and the coverage needs to keep its lanes. Its all in the coaching.

Getting rid of Bonamego was a start. Hopefully his replacement is better.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 12, 2010 04:20AM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: October 12, 2010 05:00AM

It sounds like Westoff was just stirring the pot. Even if the "one particular guy was involved in two of those major breakdowns", would Westoff really point that out support Bonamego? Or would he point it out to cause finger pointing and questions among Dolphins players, coaches and fans? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Date: October 12, 2010 11:36AM

Maybe. Maybe not. The fact is...the coach wasn't on the field when these things happened so he's not completely responsible for the breakdown. I didn't save either game so I can't go back and check but I do believe there's a player that's being exploited.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 12, 2010 11:50AM

Yes the coach did it all.

You think that without Patton that the 3rd army in WW2 would have been as nearly as successfull?

Or that without Nimitz our navy would have been as solid.

I mean coaching makes the team.

I coach my son's football team, and knowing the strengths and weakness of my boys, and where and when to play them in certain positions makes or breaks the games.

Coaching is number one and everything else will follow.

Look at the Pats.

Great coaching resulted in alot of winning seasons.

Hell take Shula with him our team was always in contention, so I mean?

Date: October 12, 2010 11:55AM

The coach did it ALL??? That's the most ludicrous statement I think I've ever heard.

I didn't see him on the field getting run over by defenders...

I agree he is responsible for what happens out there but ultimately the players have to BLOCK!

And as for the war comments...well I won't get into comparing US Generals with NFL special team coaches. Same goes for you little leage team.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 12, 2010 12:01PM

Why not?

A game plan is a game plan regardless of what it is in return too

Well the Coach was fired and no players where let go, so you take it how you want GBo.

You don't have to agree however you must look at the fact's, and that the coach is gone, and all the same players are still there.

If the players where better coached, and had a better plan, they wouldnt allow all the plays to happen, one or two on the occasion is the players fault, but to let NE make a another NFL record, by scoring with a punt block, FG block?? Kick off return whatever they scored on, is directly coaching.

One on the season happens, but like 4 or 5 so far is just bad coaching which resulted in the man being fired.

So yes it was 100 percent his fault, for not knowing the strengths and weakness's of this team when it counted most.

Date: October 18, 2010 04:41PM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Well the Coach was fired and no players where let
> go, so you take it how you want GBo.
>

Carpenter released today....still think it was all coaches?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.