HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Henne and the Pats
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Henne and the Pats
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 06, 2010 08:03PM

I just re watched the game:

On the first pick he threw he locked onto Marshall and then threw the ball behind him...He should have taken the dump off to Ricky Williams despite using play action on the play.

The second pick was just a poor throw...and a poor effort by Cobbs who has to come back to the ball in that situation. The ball should have been thrown away.

Beyond that I see Henne forcing the ball at times.

I take nothing away from this game that Henne can't improve upon. I see nothing that leads me to believe he will be a bust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henne and the Pats
Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: October 07, 2010 04:15AM

I see 3 dumb picks....I see a 41-14 loss.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 07, 2010 05:35AM

PHINSKISS13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see 3 dumb picks....I see a 41-14 loss.

You didn't see the whole game, then.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 07, 2010 07:43AM

The pick 6 was Marshall's fault plain and simple.

How many real nice throws did he make? Why aren't we talking about that?

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 07, 2010 07:49AM

We don't talk about that, because any QB can make nice throws thats why there in the NFL, however the elite, or best of the best don't make the noobish mistakes Henne makes so often.

I.E starring down wr's is his biggest problem, and the only real concern that I can see.

His footwork is ok, his arm is solid, he throws a nice pass, and he has been working on his touch pass's, and is improving there, but he is too stiff, and locks on the wr's to much, which will get him slaughtered, like he has been taking sacks, and throwing picks, instead of check downs, and throw aways.

That is the mental part, the part that takes years to fix, because he has been doing it a certain way his whole life.

Like Tebow changing his throwing mechanics, it takes alot of time, and didication to catch yourself, and stop yourself within the 2 to 4 seconds you got on average to throw the ball.

That is what worries me, personally I think he can overcome it, however I know it won't happen this year.

Not without alot of time in the pocket, or shotgun formations to give him a more dominate field of view, and extra second to think about his actions, instead of stepping back and setting his feet.

However Henning is to old and stubborn to do that with Henne, instead from the look's of our offense he want's Henne to do things his way come hell or high water, and aparantly Henne can't swim that well.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 07, 2010 08:10AM

I think you are over thinking this. Yes it will take time for him to get better.

As I have said many times, it takes a TEAM to win in this league. Henne is good enough to win now but our team is not. At least our special teams aren't.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 07, 2010 08:51AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> We don't talk about that, because any QB can make
> nice throws thats why there in the NFL, however
> the elite, or best of the best don't make the
> noobish mistakes Henne makes so often.
>
> I.E starring down wr's is his biggest problem,

RESPONSE: He is not getting enough time to "stare down" anyone.

What you see is a "snap, one, two,..." and they are on his ass. Of course, he's looking at who he's throwing to because he hasn't gotten the damn time to look off anyone. His choice is either to throw or get sacked. Look how many times he was sacked in relation to the prior games, even the Jets game. That should tell you something. You can't just look at the throw in isolation to everything else happening on the field, particularly the rush.

Date: October 07, 2010 10:22AM

The problem I see with Henne locking onto receivers is that he often looks at a reciever before the snap and then never looks anywhere else on the field.

I agree he lacks time to look off players on too many occasions. But he must make progress in this area...I think he is, and I think he'll continue to do so.

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: October 07, 2010 11:04AM

Wow what language, makes your argument very weak. I say let Henne start next game but don't give him the whole season just to "develop." Listen folks, people who knew him at Michegan, say the same thing... he's not a great QB, just a Good QB. If he throws more than two picks, put in Pennington. And for all you Henne lovers who would want to give him milk or cookies when he has a bad game, you're part of the problem.

Date: October 07, 2010 11:26AM

And people who want to bench him before he's proven he can't get better than he is right now...are the problem, not just part of it.

Quarterbacks, with a few notable exceptions, don't get to franchise status and production after only one season...regardless of what some think.

I don't want to give Henne milk and cookies but I do see improvement from him since last season...and realize he won't improve further without playing...sitting him on the bench does nothing for his weaknesses.

Also, Pennington is not the answer to the quarterback position and playing him would only hurt Henne's development and set the team back in the long term. I agree with setting boundries for a player and if Henne exceeds them then he is replaced for that game...but he's an improving player and he needs to play.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 07, 2010 11:38AM

The mere fact there is so much "buzz" about Henne, including reports that Parcells is disappointed, clearly indicates legit concern about his development, or more specifically – HIS LACK THEREOF.

Personally I see NO evidence Henne has improved his game in any significant way since the first Jet’s game last year. In fact that was his best game by far – and I actually believe he’s REGRESSED since then.

His play in the preseason was relatively poor and he hasn’t shown anything so far this year that leads me to believe he’s a quality NFL QB let alone a franchise QB. And like it or not, the NFL is a QB league and if you ain’t got one your team is dead.

This regime put all their eggs in the Henne basket and you can bet if they could go back and take Ryan they would do it. Or they would certainly trade Jake Long straight-up for Ryan, but there’s no way Atlanta would make that trade. As far as what Henne is worth right now on the trade market – do you think ANY TEAM in the league would give us a 2nd round pick for the kid? No way. Right now, based on his ACTUAL production and demonstrated proficiency on the field, we’d be LUCKY to get a 4th for him.

On the other hand, if he was a “good” as some around here think he is, or if he was definitely trending UP as opposed to down, he’d be worth a 1st or at least a 2nd in trade. So like it or not, as of right NOW, Henne is a definite “disappointment.”

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 11:42AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: October 07, 2010 12:47PM

Bottom line, Henne has talent, but he's still learning. Henne isn't Marino, but he's got a better arm than any QB we've had since. Henne didn't lose the game against the Pats, Bonamego did, and now he's gone.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 07, 2010 05:25PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Personally I see NO evidence Henne has improved
> his game in any significant way since the first
> Jet’s game last year. In fact that was his best
> game by far – and I actually believe he’s
> REGRESSED since then.
>
>

In his first 9 games, Henne completed 57.4% of his passes, for an average of 6.1 yards per attempt. In the 8 games since then, he has completed 65.9% of his passes for an average of 7.1 yards per attempt. So, clearly, he has improved his game in a significant way.

To put those numbers in perspective, Chad Pennington has the highest completion percentage of all time, and it's 66.1%. Yes, an incredible 0.2% higher. And Pennington's career yards per attempt is 7.2, which ranks as 50th best all time. So, Henne's 7.1 looks pretty good.

Posted by: NDDolFan ()
Date: October 07, 2010 06:43PM

He really needs time to get better. I agree he seems to stare at his receivers. He also needs to work on his play action fakes. The one to Ricky when he threw the interception going for Marshall was the BEST play action fake I have seen him do. I would be happy if they all were like that. The interception that was intended for Marshall was way behind him and should have been thrown higher in the air if at all. They say Marshall is never covered and to believe that you have to throw the ball high so he can go get it. He just needs time to develop and you do that by playing.

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: October 08, 2010 01:31AM

If you go back and look at the game, you will see that he also missed several receivers that were open. They were open probably because the safety was flowing to the side he was staring down.

Date: October 09, 2010 05:06AM

dolfanmark Wrote:

> In his first 9 games, Henne completed 57.4% of his
> passes, for an average of 6.1 yards per attempt.
> In the 8 games since then, he has completed 65.9%
> of his passes for an average of 7.1 yards per
> attempt. So, clearly, he has improved his game in
> a significant way.
>
> To put those numbers in perspective, Chad
> Pennington has the highest completion percentage
> of all time, and it's 66.1%. Yes, an incredible
> 0.2% higher. And Pennington's career yards per
> attempt is 7.2, which ranks as 50th best all time.
> So, Henne's 7.1 looks pretty good.

Henne had an opportunity to put the game away against the Pats in the 1st half and killed 2 drives with dumb INTs. The ONLY reason he has a decent comp% is because he typically throws 3 yard check-downs because he has the field vision of a sloth. And furthermore, I stand by what I posted -- IMO on the field he doesn't look like a player on his way UP, in many ways he looks LESS ready to win games -- which is what a good NFL QB has got to do. Right now Henne is more about losing games due to his inability to see the field, poor pocket sense, heavy footwork, staring receivers down, lack of touch, lack of timing, and need I go on?

No matter how you slice the crap it still stinks -- and right now Henne is IMO a definite disappointment -- and this regime will go down because of that. IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 05:07AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: October 09, 2010 05:12AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Henne had an opportunity to put the game away
> against the Pats in the 1st half

REALLY??? I don't recall a football game that was truly "put away" in the 1st half. You think a couple more scores in the 1st half would have really made up for the special teams blunders we had in the 2nd half? I don't know 41-28 is still a loss!

In fact, take away the last INT, that was Marshall's fault, and it's still 34-28. STILL A LOSS!!

Face it. Henne didn't lose the game for us; special teams did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 05:14AM by montequi.

Posted by: opus ()
Date: October 09, 2010 05:51AM

At what point do people feel he has had enough "time" to develop? I would say if he isn't cleaning his act up by the 8th game of this season then it is time to look elsewhere. I still say that I am more worried about the passes thrown into the ground than anything else, that shows a true mental issue of sub-consiously not being willing to let go of the ball when he is throwing it. Getting past that will be a lot harder than getting him to look off a receiver prior to the snap.

Date: October 09, 2010 06:11AM

opus Wrote:
> At what point do people feel he has had enough
> "time" to develop?

When he's played a full season as a starter. Last year he stepped in when Penny was benched. Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman were pretty bad their first year (and they started all season without being benched). THIS year Henne started game 1, so after this season he should have no excuses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 06:11AM by montequi.

Date: October 09, 2010 06:14AM

BTW: I have 2 words for you: Drew Brees. Compare their careers.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: October 09, 2010 06:38AM

I say bench him now.

He didn't come in and throw 18TDs per game. He is a failure. He needs to be completing more passes than attempts. I don't know how that's possible but he isn't doing it. More failure.

I also want him to be able to play special teams and tackle the returner before the 1 yard line, force a fumble, and recover the ball in the end zone for a TD.

He should also intercept every pass thrown by opposing QBs and return it for TDs.

Basically, if Chad Henne can't score us a TD on every single play of every single game then he's the worst QB the Dolphins have ever had.

Date: October 09, 2010 12:33PM

Wow, you would think this board is comprised of Henne's ralatives...

The proof will be on the field no matter how many try to blindly defend Henne's poor play and lack of development. And when he continues to suck againt decent defenses, make stupid plays and demonstrate a CLEAR lack of Professional skills -- what then?

Oh it's OK because he's not supposed to score on every drive? Seriously, how silly is that. Like I saod we'd be LUCKY to get a 4th round pick for the kid so he's ceratinly NOT some up and coming player -- he's already on his way down and is 100% NOT READY for prime time -- so forget about this team being anything more than an also ran. Lacking a franchise NFL QB = your team is over...

Date: October 09, 2010 03:53PM

What does "ralatives" mean?

I mean c'mon even the worst internet browsers have a spell checker. Your credibility is low enough for bashing a young and developing player. Quit shooting yourself in the foot.

Date: October 10, 2010 05:40PM

TheFutt Wrote:
> What does "ralatives" mean?
>
> I mean c'mon even the worst internet browsers have
> a spell checker. Your credibility is low enough
> for bashing a young and developing player. Quit
> shooting yourself in the foot.

what are you like 12?

Date: October 10, 2010 05:49PM

Yep, I'm 12 and can still use a spell checker.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: October 10, 2010 08:02PM

TheFutt Wrote:
> Yep, I'm 12 and can still use a spell checker.

ROTFLMAO.

Most of the board sees that Henne is a quality QB that needs more starts. The only explanation is that we are "ralatives". That explains everything.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 13, 2010 07:20AM

Wow yeah finally somone else to take my job of horrible grammer!!!!

YEAHHHH BABY!!smileys with beer

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 13, 2010 08:36AM

"elite, or best of the best don't make the noobish mistakes Henne makes so often" Did you happen to see Mr. Hall-of-Fame Farve's last pass in the championship game last January? Or his last pass against the Jests Monday night? How can you see that stuff and make a silly statement like you made?

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 14, 2010 03:50PM

TheFutt Wrote:
> I say bench him now.
>
> He didn't come in and throw 18TDs per game. He is
> a failure. He needs to be completing more passes
> than attempts. I don't know how that's possible
> but he isn't doing it. More failure.
>
> I also want him to be able to play special teams
> and tackle the returner before the 1 yard line,
> force a fumble, and recover the ball in the end
> zone for a TD.
>
> He should also intercept every pass thrown by
> opposing QBs and return it for TDs.
>
> Basically, if Chad Henne can't score us a TD on
> every single play of every single game then he's
> the worst QB the Dolphins have ever had.

RESPONSE: Well said!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 14, 2010 05:46PM

It's all in the philosophy. NE just traded away Randy Moss who some believe is STILL the best WR in the game. Why? Are they giving up on the season? No, Belicheat knows that a great QB can make even a mediocre
WR into a formidable weapon. Some of you have been calling for getting Henne more weapons but I think it's painfully clear that he needs to grow into what he's got instead of overwhelming him with tallent that he can't begin to utilize effectively.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.