HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          No notice
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
No notice
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 29, 2010 06:58AM

on the news or, I'm surprised on this board, of the passing of one of the men that made pro football a sport that couldn't begin to compete with major league baseball when I was a kid but now so dominates major league baseball in popularity that it is not even close.

That man is George Blanda.

Rest in Peace and thanks for the memories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No notice
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 29, 2010 07:24AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 08:02AM by montequi.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 07:45AM

I never saw him play QB but, towards the end of his career I watched a few games where he was still kicking field goals and extra points. What an athlete!!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 29, 2010 08:06AM

Chyren, you actually got to see him play as a rookie, huh!?

LOL...just joking thumbs up smiling bouncing smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: September 29, 2010 08:11AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 29, 2010 08:32AM

Blanda was a Raider but I respected the old guy. Could never root for him as a player but I gotta hand it to someone who can stay in the league that long.

Date: September 29, 2010 08:41AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 09:15AM

I saw a little footage of him on NFL network.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 29, 2010 09:36AM

You've got that just backwards. Davis created the logo (a pre-Bucs pirate) and picked the silver and black colors long before the gangs got ahold of them. Can't blame him.

Rick

Date: September 29, 2010 11:47AM

Date: September 29, 2010 12:22PM

I read not too long ago that the Dodgers have overtaken the Raiders as the gang-sports-team in California. Because of the blue color is the same as the crips, and because LA on the logo also stands for Latin Aspects.

Don't know if it's true, but I saw that not too long ago.

Date: September 30, 2010 07:57AM

That's right JC. And when you consider ALL the gangs, EVERY SPORTS franchise is used by SOME GANG OR ANOTHER. In the case I'm working on now, the Crips from Hoover Boulevard use the Houston Astros because of the fact that the H is the same letter.

They used Steelers, Celtics, whatever.

Of course, you are pretty stupid if you think that back in the early 60's when the Raiders were formed that there was a gang problem in LA. Those gangs formed in the late 70's when Tookie Williams formed the Crips. Of course, there were always small groups of teenagers who stuck together and called them a gang but to say that Al Davis copied a gang symbol, that's ludicrous.

The logo is from a pirate which a raider is.....duhhhhhhhhhh..

Date: September 30, 2010 08:21AM

Thanks Bob..

I think that Davis enjoys, relishes, and cashes in on the fact that the Raiders merchandise is a favorite of the gangs (even if they're only #2 these days), even if he didn't invent the association.

As for Blanda and the team, in the 70s and 80s I think I hated them just as much as I did the Jests. But I think I respected many of the Raiders' players more than I did the Jests--such as Blanda, Ray Guy, Cliff Branch and Biletnikoff who had about 3 cubic feet of stick-em stored on each sock (it was legal back then).

Date: September 30, 2010 08:27AM

The point is that while we can intensely hate Tom Brady and Randy Moss as rivals today, you have got to respect and mourn the passing of people like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and the greats that made the game you love the game you love. Hey, as a kid I was a St. Louis Cardinals fan and my hero was Stan the Man Musial but when it comes to human things like death, you cannot be so small minded that you let those sports rivalries color your take.

Now when it comes to characters who have spoiled the sports with their off field behavior, that is something else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.