HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          local media sucks
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
local media sucks
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 08:19AM

WTF is up with the local newspapers? I've read the SS and Herald online the last few days and no mention of Odrick's injury including in the blogs. The only way I even knew he was hurt was some posters on here mentioned it, and Mortonson mentioned it today on Mike and mike (didn't say anything specific about it).

What is the deal? Can anyone link to a source discussing this injury and whether he's supposed to miss time?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: local media sucks
Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 14, 2010 08:37AM

I've read about this issue in several local papers Sunday and Yesterday. Local papers won't have much updates because the team doesn't provide much info and the player is barred from talking.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:21PM

I think they are waiting for am MRI to come back or something. Might here something tonight or tomorrow

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:23PM

Likely won't become official until it has to be. I look for him to be questionable on the injury report and out for Sunday. They already signed a replacement for him.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 14, 2010 12:24PM

he will be "questionable" for the next 15 weeks with a Parcells group in charge...lol

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 03:39PM

Hey from what I read online, yeah the local media blows hard, like a hurricane!!!!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 02:37AM

Local media sucks bad.... None of them have any clue from my experience, nor know much about Football...I bet 99 percent never played one snap of organized football on any level in their life...Yet write stories as if they have a resume like Parcells... LOL over and over.. They just become friends and enemies with some within organization and stick up for or trash the player or coach accordingly...I listened to 15 minutes straight of Sid interview Odrick on tuesday and he didnt ask him once about the injury, I finally turned it off, listening to Sid ask Odrick over and over again, if they could hang out together was awful...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 02:46AM by Crowder52.

Date: September 16, 2010 02:56AM

This is why with some fans the media can't win.

Sid is scheduled to have Marshall on in August. He is gonna ask Brandon about his hip injury, his past, how he likes the Miami lifestyle, the Fins hear of this and block the interview. NOW, Sid gets Odrick. He figures he can't ask him anything "real" or "tough"......so he doesn't ask about the injury, instead he throws softball questions at him and its a boring/nothing interview. And the Fans rip Sid again.

He can't win. Ask though questions the team blocks the interveiw and fans attack Sid. Ask creampuff questions and the fans are mad its a boring interview.

And its NOT just Sid. It's everyone in the media who has this problem. You try to do something "real" or "intersting" and the fans attack the media for trying to "take down their team" or some nonsense like that. So when they don't and just do the boring interview, the fans are also mad. Some fans are so 2-faced its amazing.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 16, 2010 03:14AM

Thats why when I listen to sports talk shows I usually turn the channel when they start doing player/coach interviews. They almost always ask easy questions and the player/coach's always give cookie cutter answers......BORING!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 03:42AM

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: September 16, 2010 05:02AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
>
> I don't blame Marshall for not going on.
>
> If he were a better journalist/talk show host he
> wouldn't have this problem.

If he were a better talk show host, he'd still be in NYC (which seems to be where he really wants to be). I have tried time and again to listen to Sid (there just isn't anyone worth listening to at 4:00 when I'm on my way home), but he is such a NY appologist, and clearly bashes the local teams every chance he gets. Many people hated Hank Goldberg, but at least he was fair towards the local teams. I didn't always agree with Hank, but he made vaild points-much more than I can say for Sid. He has knowledge, but he is way too biased toward NYC, and against Miami. I hope he goes back to NY when he gets the chance angry smiley

Date: September 16, 2010 05:20AM

MikeO Wrote:
> This is why with some fans the media can't win.
>
> Sid is scheduled to have Marshall on in August. He
> is gonna ask Brandon about his hip injury, his
> past, how he likes the Miami lifestyle, the Fins
> hear of this and block the interview. NOW, Sid
> gets Odrick. He figures he can't ask him anything
> "real" or "tough"......so he doesn't ask about the
> injury, instead he throws softball questions at
> him and its a boring/nothing interview. And the
> Fans rip Sid again.
>
> He can't win. Ask though questions the team blocks
> the interveiw and fans attack Sid. Ask creampuff
> questions and the fans are mad its a boring
> interview.
>
> And its NOT just Sid. It's everyone in the media
> who has this problem. You try to do something
> "real" or "intersting" and the fans attack the
> media for trying to "take down their team" or some
> nonsense like that. So when they don't and just do
> the boring interview, the fans are also mad. Some
> fans are so 2-faced its amazing.

When a player, had an injury 2 days before the interview and is out for the next game, maybe the Jets and Patriots. You could at least ask, "How are you feeling?" Seriously, or if you were not allowed to ask it then tell the audience, you have agreed to not ask about the injury.. Bad job either way IMO.
The tuesday interview is a regular thing, and it is going to switch off every tuesday between, Crowder and Odrick. Sid sucks at his job, or this would be something I would really be interested in hearing every week, which is why I listened to Odrick this week.. Sorry but I see absolutely no reason to listen to it, from what I heard this tuesday, SId was pathetic. Ricky's show on monday was good with him, but tuesday was awful.. I only gave it a shot because I enjoyed his Ricky interview.. So I do not think I am being biased against the guy, even though I should since he is so bias against the local teams, for his beloved NY squads..

Date: September 16, 2010 05:21AM

I now have an app on my iphone that let's me listen to QAM (I live in DC so I don't get local miami radio otherwise). I think Sid is pretty good but Joe Rose in the AM is awful. The people who really suck are the ones I get on my espn radio app---those dweebs from the W palm station Evan Cohen, Jeremy Peltz or whatever. These guys sound like they are still in high school and talk like those nerdy kids in the back of the class having sports conversations. I listen hoping to hear some dolphins talk but instead it's them making lame jokes about eachother (really painful) and talking about the damn marlins all the time. I mean, really they are horrible and I actually would rather listen to local DC sports talk than them---I hate the redskins but at least the local sports guys are knowledgeable and entertaining.
anyone else hate those WPB guys (I think it's 780 am or something like that).

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 16, 2010 05:46AM

BobT Wrote:

> Many people hated Hank
> Goldberg, but at least he was fair towards the
> local teams. I didn't always agree with Hank, but
> he made vaild points-....

Agree 100%.

Hank was the greatest. I truly think that the people who hated hank was because he didn't kiss the ass of anything from New York, PLUS he didn't tolerate idiotic callers (which are 99% of the callers to any sports show to begin with). Hank never played ball but he knew what the hell he was talking about.

Hank also had developed a very good rapport with the Dolphin organization and as a result had very reliable sources. He managed his relationship with his sources well enough that he knew what info to pass on and what not to mention. As a result he always had an "in" to get the info when he needed, and didn't go nuts with rumors in order to be the first to report it (as they do today).

With Hank gone and Mandich not doing a daily show anymore, I'm not interested in listening to daily stuff. The last show I listened to was Bokamper's; he had a one-hour podcast that was perfect for listening to during commuting. He's not doing a daily thing either that I know of.

Date: September 16, 2010 05:55AM

when I was younger and grew up in miami, wiod and wqam had great sports talk. Hank was great. Jim Mandich pretty good too. Now it seems like a bunch of clueless morons. Too many ex players--they don't really have too much to say and generally don't say it too well anyway (Mike Irvin? yuck)
I also used to like Neil Rogers back in the day!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 16, 2010 06:44AM

Hank Goldberg was very good. Just as you say JC. Wow, that name seems so long ago. I was a faithfull listener. Even call once after the Phins beat the Redskins in the SB. Real football talk.

How long did he stay with WQAM? I left Miami in 81 and did not have the chance to listen again.
Dam, those were some great times!!
Not that I'm not having fun now.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: September 16, 2010 07:39AM

For the Hank fans, WFTL (640am) will feature Hank every Friday from 4-5 during the football season. I, for one, will be glad to have something to listen to on Friday on the way home smileys with beer

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 16, 2010 08:48AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Hank Goldberg was very good. Just as you say JC.
> Wow, that name seems so long ago. I was a
> faithfull listener. Even call once after the Phins
> beat the Redskins in the SB. Real football talk.
>
> How long did he stay with WQAM? I left Miami in 81
> and did not have the chance to listen again.
> Dam, those were some great times!!
> Not that I'm not having fun now.smiling bouncing smiley

Hank was there up until a couple years ago. But I'm happy to hear from BobT's post that he'll be back on the air in some capacity.

Date: September 16, 2010 10:11AM

Hank, defintely has the most respect locally and nationally of any members of the media reporting from Miami or on the Dolphins... He just fell way off on his predictions a few years ago and needed to regroup... Hank was always known for his handicapping ability and that reputaion went to crap a few years ago...He also stopped covering the phins so much when Huizenga got mad at the Press corp and moved the press boxes in Miami to the worst boxes in the house. Prior to that they use to be next to the Owners boxes... Hank swore off going to games and sitting in the press boxes as he use to. I am sure most that listened to Hank will remember all the drama and fuss Hank created on the radio over the press box issue...

Date: September 17, 2010 07:14AM

the good old days when rick weaver called the play by play and hank was the color guy.
now the radio guys, except for mandich, are totally boring and suck. bring back howard david at least!!

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:25AM

Does anybody know if their is a sports radio show for Iheart (iPhone app) that covers the fins. I know the Jets have one but I can't find the fins anywhere

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 03:43PM

I think we should start up a show!!! Heck with the talented, dedicated and diverse fellas on here hell we could put on one heck of a show!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.