HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Parcells stepping back
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Parcells stepping back
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 07, 2010 10:24AM

Volin tweeted that Parcells is taking a step back into strictly a consultant role. Not sure what to make of that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parcells stepping back
Date: September 07, 2010 10:25AM

BenVolinPBP "Effective immediately, Jeff Ireland will assume full control over all aspects and decisions in regard to the football team & support staff"

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 10:32AM

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 07, 2010 10:42AM

I remember hearing when Parcells was hired that he would step back and hand control over to Ireland after a few years. I guess that time has come.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 10:49AM

this is actually big news. I hope its not a rats fleeing a sinking ship situation!

Date: September 07, 2010 11:05AM

I'm a little un-easy about this on a couple levels; Berks point about Parcells trying to protect his legacy is one (I hope thats not the case, and i'm not saying it is but you never know) and this Carl Peterson thing lingering around is another, if Ross brings him in he's gonna want "his people" around him and that could set this team back years.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 12:02PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 07, 2010 12:13PM

It means he is all done in Miami. His time is over.

I don't understand why he needed to go public with this though. This could have been kept in-house, but Parcells loves the spotlight.

Date: September 07, 2010 12:50PM

Date: September 07, 2010 12:54PM

Date: September 07, 2010 12:54PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is actually big news. I hope its not a rats
> fleeing a sinking ship situation!

Big news, yes. But not unexpected. Parcells stated from day one that this would happen, and his timeline was also stated to be 3 years.

Ireland has been calling the shots for a while now. Parcells is pushing 70 years old. If Parcells is fleeing, it will be to the golf course, not another team.

Seriously, he's driving around practice in a golf cart. Shades of Shula's final years...

But, if the team doesn't do well this year, I'd begin to worry about Carl Peterson.

Date: September 07, 2010 01:06PM

Date: September 07, 2010 01:48PM

Mike somebody hacked your comp and posted nice things about the Tuna, better change your password ASAP!.....all joking aside, well said.smileys with beer

Date: September 07, 2010 01:56PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Mike somebody hacked your comp and posted nice
> things about the Tuna, better change your password
> ASAP!.....all joking aside, well said.smileys with beer

HA! lol...like I said I don't hate the guy. Never did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2010 01:57PM by MikeO.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 02:02PM

I couldnt stand the guy when he was with the jets. I cant lie lol smoking smiley

smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

Date: September 07, 2010 02:15PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Way too much is being made out of this. Most teams
> don't even have this position Parcells is doing.
> Most teams have a GM and a coach. They don't have
> this czar who overseas both roles. Usually thats
> the owner or some suit with a fancy title nobody
> has heard of, not an ex-coach who won 2 rings and
> has a big name.
>
> And to me, if he is still a "daily
> consultant"....what is really changing? It just
> tells me at seasons end Parcells is leaving. Which
> is fine, the guy is 69 years old he is entitled to
> retire.
>

Agree 100%.

>
> This is year 3, no way to spin this.....we must
> WIN this year. Period. If we don't, then the door
> is now open to mass change. If (hopefully WHEN) we
> do win this year, then Parcells will have in my
> book and I think many others people book cemented
> his legacy as one of the all time great NFL minds
> for what he did here in Miami in a strictly front
> office role. On the field Parcells made his legacy
> years ago, if Miami wins and takes off on the next
> few years as an NFL power (super bowl or not) he
> would have succeded in the front office role as
> well.

You may be right. Unfortunately, I don't think a change next year is what this team needs. Every time a team changes its front office, there is another 2 years of rebuilding followed by 1 year of everyone saying "if its not done this year time to fire everyone....". I don't agree with that approach when the coaches and leadership seem relative solid, and the starting point was so low.

Really, to think of where this franchise was three years ago, and how the coaching staff has got us back on track. I think they should get one more year to make their mark. Unfortunately, I'm not able to make that decision and Carl Peterson isn't my best friend.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 07, 2010 02:34PM

So, will Parcells be leaving in the offseason? Hopefully he'll have left us in good hands if he does.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 07, 2010 02:53PM

DolfanMike Wrote:
> You may be right. Unfortunately, I don't think a
> change next year is what this team needs. Every
> time a team changes its front office, there is
> another 2 years of rebuilding followed by 1 year
> of everyone saying "if its not done this year time
> to fire everyone....". I don't agree with that
> approach when the coaches and leadership seem
> relative solid, and the starting point was so
> low.
>
> Really, to think of where this franchise was three
> years ago, and how the coaching staff has got us
> back on track. I think they should get one more
> year to make their mark. Unfortunately, I'm not
> able to make that decision and Carl Peterson isn't
> my best friend.

RE: I agree, coaching staff's don't need to be changed every few years...even if we don't win this year the staff should stay the same. (meaning no one gets fired) The successful staffs are the ones that have tenure more often than not.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: September 07, 2010 03:35PM

I'm with you DolfanMike...there is no reason to be dusting off any pink slips just yet, even if this season doesn't turn out to be what we think (and hope) it's going to be. I never understood this part about the NFL. It all boils down to being impatient, arrogant, and ignorant.

Anybody calling for Sparano's head already (or even THINKING about it) obviously has a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY short memory. What was our record in 2007 again? How far had we fallen? We were in total free-fall...there is no question about it.

Cleo Lemon was our starting QB. John Beck was our starting QB. THAT was our future a few years ago. Guys we drafted Ted Ginn 9th overall!!!!!

Then in 2008 we have a huge turnaround and go 11-5. It was awesome, but to be honest, it was a fluke. We caught the league off guard, and some...MANY...fans were spoiled by this and expected these same results, if not BETTER results for the next year.

When the inevitable dropoff occurred last year, people acted surprised. They shouldn't have been. Everybody knew deep down that this was a team in transition, and that change does not happen overnight.

I like what this staff is doing. I like the foundation that they are building. The fact that they are not afraid to cut their losses and continue to experiment only score them more points in my book.

In all honesty, they still get a free pass this year short of a total breakdown. Next year we can start talking about coaching hot seats and cleaning house. Let's enjoy 2010.

Date: September 07, 2010 04:20PM

While I agree with you 100% Futt, what I once thought was impossible i'm now not so sure about. Alot of if's (I hate IF'S) but if PArcells steps completely away and Ross brings in Peterson as a "consultant" I could see him wanting his own guys in place.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: September 07, 2010 04:25PM

WOW!!! Very questionable timing for this announcement. Why not wait until the end of the season?

I've been very supportive of BP and his regime but this one may end up leaving a bad impression if this season goes sour.

Either way he relieves himself from any negative light. Should we win 9 games or better and make the playoffs, he looks like the savior going out on a good note...on the other hand, if we win 7 games or less, he was out of the mix before that ever happened and will probably disown a lot of the move that were made this offseason.

confused smiley

Date: September 07, 2010 04:48PM

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 07, 2010 05:06PM

Yea, this story should have a real short lifespan. It's been a long hard off-season and I'm sure the 69 year old Parcells is ready to spend more time on the golf course.

Parcells has placed his stamp on this team. Now he is taking off the training wheels for Ireland. Staying on as a consultant still allows him to have direct input w/ the players who seem to respect his direct insights.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 07, 2010 05:56PM

I'm grateful that he'll still hold a role with this organization. The man keeps his word I must say. Outstanding integrity.

Date: September 07, 2010 06:30PM

Parcells is a personnel/front office guy. The "personnel/front office calender" ends this week in NFL circles. 53 man roster set, practice squad set. Only minor moves here or there. Scouting team's workload is cut for a while. Their job is done for a bit. Now its on the field and coaching. So the timing makes sense. Still don't see the need for it to be made public. But whatever, this isn't a big deal. The NFL is a results oriented business. If the team wins, its a non-issue the machine will continue and Ireland moves to the big-boy chair. If the team loses then there will be changes with this current crew whether Parcells was in his role or wasn't it wouldn't have mattered.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 06:36PM

my fear: now there is no one to reign in Steven Ross. This guy is a total doofus who cares more about celebrity co-owners---he actually thinks this will attract football fans!!---and saving money than putting the best product on the field. Somehow he doesn't get that the way to attract fans is to give them a winning team, not to stick J-Lo in the owners box so the great unwashed can gawk at her from the cheap seats.

He will either push Ireland/Sporano way and/or dump them in favor of flashy "yes men" who will cut payroll and load up the team with over the hill "names" instead of good players, driving this team into the ground. Hope I am wrong but to me this is a real possibility now.

Date: September 07, 2010 07:02PM

Jim B Wrote:
> Parcells has placed his stamp on this team. Now
> he is taking off the training wheels for Ireland.
> Staying on as a consultant still allows him to
> have direct input w/ the players who seem to
> respect his direct insights.

Exactly. It allows him to occasionally ride around the practice field on a golf cart and give players nicknames. All this in between fishing and golf. That's the life!

Posted by: TennPhin13 ()
Date: September 07, 2010 10:15PM

You know, I've never actually heard that Jimmy Johnson wasn't still a consultant. So that should probably tell us all something about how important that title really is.

Parcells is looking out for his own brand. There is no need for him to hang around and possibly face the humiliation of being fired or being forced to fire his own guys. Ross OWNS the team and WANTS HIS PEOPLE in place. His desire for flash does not mesh with Parcells cold weather style of power running and dink and dunk offense. JMO

Let the owner imprint/meddling begin. I just hope Ross is not another Jones or Snyder.

Date: September 08, 2010 03:35AM

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 08, 2010 06:26AM

I don't think the Ross fear is valid. I have seen absolutely no evidence that Ross wants to make football decisions. Getting people to fill the stadium has nothing to do with football. That is business and marketing.

By Parcells stepping down now...he is saying that up to this point...he is ultimately responsible for the decisions that were made. Especially the recent youth movement. Now that he has wound up the clock, he is going to step back and watch it tick.

In that sense, this actually gives Ireland a fresh start. But, the personel decisions will always be a combined effort between coach and GM...with Ireland now getting the final say. With Parcells on the sideline reminding them of the type players he believes this team needs to win.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.