HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What an 18 game season means....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What an 18 game season means....
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 27, 2010 03:18AM

It means a few things some major some minor....

1) More international games played each year. More games in Canada, Mexico, England, Germany, China....etc

2) Expanded rosters, probably 58 man rosters.

3) The IR list won't mean being out for the season, you will be able to bring people back from IR during the season

4) DIRECTV will raise the price of the Sunday Ticket!

5) The 72' Dolphins PERFECT SEASON will never be broken, nobody will come close now with more games during the season. Team would have to go 21-0!!

6) Super Bowl gets pushed back to mid-February, presidents weekend so the Monday after the game is a "National Holiday". This also means that the Daytona 500 and the NBA All Star games are gonna have to move their silly events as to not compete with the NFL!

An 18 game season is a must. It's the best thing the NFL can do.Its a win-win for everyone involved

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What an 18 game season means....
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 27, 2010 06:05AM

Date: August 27, 2010 06:08AM

I am guessing it will be the same as it is now, and as those two games each year are determined as to your finish. So if you finish in 3rd place you play the 3rd place team in two other divisions. They will just do that for 2 more games out of conference

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:11AM

Mike I don't see how you can say this is the greatest thing sense peanut butter. Money wise for the NFL maybe, but for the games and the players no way. Quality of players and play will decrease because of injuries and backups needing to play more. Running backs won't last and linemen and linebackers will ware out.
More games? No, there are to many now.

Date: August 27, 2010 07:15AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike I don't see how you can say this is the
> greatest thing sense peanut butter. Money wise for
> the NFL maybe, but for the games and the players
> no way. Quality of players and play will decrease
> because of injuries and backups needing to play
> more. Running backs won't last and linemen and
> linebackers will ware out.
> More games? No, there are to many now.

More games is needed. The NFL is so big and for it to be only 16 games isn't enough. Fans get more bang for their buck, they get to buy one less preseason game ticket at full price and replace it with a Regular Season game. The rosters will be expanded. The offseason camps and mini-camps will be gone. Training camp will be shortened. Players will get more rest. It's a win-win for all parties involved.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:29AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Leon In Denver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Mike I don't see how you can say this is the
> > greatest thing sense peanut butter. Money wise
> for
> > the NFL maybe, but for the games and the
> players
> > no way. Quality of players and play will
> decrease
> > because of injuries and backups needing to play
> > more. Running backs won't last and linemen and
> > linebackers will ware out.
> > More games? No, there are to many now.
>
>
> More games is needed. The NFL is so big and for it
> to be only 16 games isn't enough. Fans get more
> bang for their buck, they get to buy one less
> preseason game ticket at full price and replace it
> with a Regular Season game. The rosters will be
> expanded. The offseason camps and mini-camps will
> be gone. Training camp will be shortened. Players
> will get more rest. It's a win-win for all parties
> involved.

More regular season games, and less preseason games- yes. Roster expansion and the return of the non-season ending IR. Training camp won't be shortened, I'd bet. Mini-camps and training camp will be more important for teams since they will have only 2 games to evaluate talent. Players getting more rest? only because of an additional bye week (if that gets added). The NFL wants more international games, so that will eat up some of the scheduling. More travel time for more teams. I wonder if they will play games outside of Europe, Mexico, and Canada? Maybe a game in the states where there is no team (Los Angeles, Portland, Birmingham, or Oklahoma City anyone?) to gauge interest for potential expansion/relocation.Most likely the NFL will want to expand to other regions (Asia).
Sounds great, right? Not if you're the team having to travel from Miami to Shanghai and back for a game against the Patriots.
I wonder if fans were discussing the move from 14 to 16 games like we are back in 1976 (which is when they announced the change for the 78 season)?

Date: August 27, 2010 07:46AM

They werent. They took teh 14 games to 16 games in stride and saw it as a good thing

Date: August 27, 2010 07:52AM

I guess shortening the preseason from 6 to 4 games was the big thing back then. I wonder if adding the 2 extra teams (Bucs and Seahawks) made it more palitable? Different times, different attitudes, I guess. I started watching in 1977, so, as a kid, it didn't make too much of a difference to me.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:59AM

This is just one more step to making it a game of touch. It will become more and more like Canadian football. All passing, very little real football.
The NFL sucks now with their ridiculous rules that favor the offense. So I guess if you like touch FB then go for it.
I much prefer the college game anyway.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:15PM

...Dan's will loose his single season passing yardage record a lot sooner.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:19PM

Yeah the NFL is watered down, and a shell of it's former self.

The real men, who play hard, is gone.

Its about show boatin mourons, who get paid WAY to much money to put on a show, while the real men just get thrown bones, and never play, because they dont run 4-40 speeds, and are not athletic freaks.

I perfere running the ball more than passing, but hey just me.

This 18 game season, I like more football, but this is just stupid.

Yeah if your looking at it as money for NFL, then sure, but its stupid, and a bad idea.

Again it takes away from the bubble players, by only allowing 2 pre-season games, and week one is going to be sloppy, and ugly.

Heck up to week 4 will be garbage games, because of sloppy play brought on by rushing the whole offseason to get ready for 18 games.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:40AM

MikeO Wrote:
> It means a few things some major some minor....
>
> 1) More international games played each year. More
> games in Canada, Mexico, England, Germany,
> China....etc
>
> 2) Expanded rosters, probably 58 man rosters.
>
> 3) The IR list won't mean being out for the
> season, you will be able to bring people back from
> IR during the season
>
> 4) DIRECTV will raise the price of the Sunday
> Ticket!
>
> 5) The 72' Dolphins PERFECT SEASON will never be
> broken, nobody will come close now with more games
> during the season. Team would have to go 21-0!!
>
> 6) Super Bowl gets pushed back to mid-February,
> presidents weekend so the Monday after the game is
> a "National Holiday". This also means that the
> Daytona 500 and the NBA All Star games are gonna
> have to move their silly events as to not compete
> with the NFL!
>
>
> An 18 game season is a must. It's the best thing
> the NFL can do.Its a win-win for everyone involved

7) The average lifespan of an NFL player drops from 51 to 49.

Date: August 28, 2010 05:48AM

Yeah no good will come from this. Well ok they will allow more players to make the roster, ok thats about the only positive thing I can think of.

Date: August 28, 2010 06:38AM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:

> 7) The average lifespan of an NFL player drops
> from 51 to 49.

No no no. I don't buy that for a second. Look, NFL guys are now dying only because of the years of steroid abuse among NFL players. You will see more of this then it will stop. As the education on steroids has evolved in recent years as has drug testing increased and improved you will see less and less of guys dying young due to heart problems.

18 games will give players MORE rest believe it or not. It will expand rosters so guys can get more rest in games. Training camp will be reduced. Mini-Camps will be all but gone. A possible DOUBLE-BYE during the season.

The 18 game season is a WIN-WIN for everyone. Fans get more bang for their buck and more games (who doesn't want that).....Owners get more money...Players will get more guarnteed money in their contracts and less of an offseason work-load. This is gonna be the best thing the NFL has done in many years. How anyone can be against it is beyond me. Its the evolution of the game and its positive for everyone.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 28, 2010 10:13AM

I think an 18 season games means a lot of injuries. But id love 2 more games a year...just add more players to the roster

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 28, 2010 12:55PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> -----
>
> > 7) The average lifespan of an NFL player drops
> > from 51 to 49.
>
>
> No no no. I don't buy that for a second. Look, NFL
> guys are now dying only because of the years of
> steroid abuse among NFL players. You will see more
> of this then it will stop. As the education on
> steroids has evolved in recent years as has drug
> testing increased and improved you will see less
> and less of guys dying young due to heart
> problems.
>
> 18 games will give players MORE rest believe it or
> not. It will expand rosters so guys can get more
> rest in games. Training camp will be reduced.
> Mini-Camps will be all but gone. A possible
> DOUBLE-BYE during the season.
>
> The 18 game season is a WIN-WIN for everyone. Fans
> get more bang for their buck and more games (who
> doesn't want that).....Owners get more
> money...Players will get more guarnteed money in
> their contracts and less of an offseason
> work-load. This is gonna be the best thing the NFL
> has done in many years. How anyone can be against
> it is beyond me. Its the evolution of the game and
> its positive for everyone.

I was joking. Mostly.

Date: August 28, 2010 03:08PM

So what happens when a team is 15-3, locked to the playoffs, do they just play the back ups for 3 weeks?

What happens when the extra two games end up far away in another country?

How sloppy are the first couple games, because the team hasnt had the time to gel?

What happens to the bubble players?

What happens when a player like Jake GROVE who gets dinged up every year, has to tuff it out for 18 games, plus maybe playoffs?

More travel time, meaning more risk for air plane, or bus crash's, which NO ONE thinks about, but will increase.

Again if you start being narrow minded, and can only look at more games to watch, then I feel your being selfish.

What happens if your team is 6-10? Two more meaningless games, to what play back ups? Who will want to go watch two more games, when there team is out of playoffs?

Where is the motivation? It's just stupid.

Again yeah more players on roster, cool, hey two more games that might mean somthing to watch, ok then what?

Date: August 28, 2010 03:10PM

Date: August 28, 2010 03:19PM

That isnt nothing to laugh about. What's wrong with you Mikeo seriously dude.

Yeah I think about all aspects, stuff which most don't, excuse me for making a valid point, about somthing that will be affected.

Really the same amount of travel. Hmmm could be, but uh you so predicted that they would play more over-sea games right?

2 pre-season games with mostly backups, versus 2 regular games with starters playing hard, is like night/day differance.

I appreciate you trying to get me mad, by in turn getting me banned, but you will end up the one being banned Mikeo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 03:36PM by Mia1.

Date: August 28, 2010 03:47PM

Date: August 28, 2010 04:03PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Mia1 Wrote:
> -----
> More travel time, meaning more risk for air
> plane,
> > or bus crash's, which NO ONE thinks about, but
> > will increase.
> >
>
>
> ha ha ha ha ha.........yeah there is a reason not
> to expand! ha ha ha!!
>
> You don't realize that now there are 20
> games....16 regular, 4 preseason. IF they go to 18
> regular and 2 preaseason........ITS THE SAME
> AMOUNT OF TRAVEL!!! And still 20 games!!!
>
> ha ha ha ha ah ha

Doubtful it's the same amount of travel, miles-wise. Most exhibition games are fairly close geograpically. I mean, the Dolphins aren't playing the Seahawks in the preseason. Why, because it's too far to travel for a preseason game. The individual teams set up their preseason opponents, not the league. Goodell has already stated he wants to add more international games,so if each team plays 1 international game per year, it means more miles to travel.
Same amount of games does not equal same amount of miles...

Date: August 28, 2010 04:05PM

1) Each team won't play 1 international game a year. There aren't enough international cities to hold these events.

2) It's still far far FAR less travel than any of the other major sports by a mile.

The notion of not expanding (which isn't really expanding, just re-distrubiting) because of extra travel is laughable on every level.

Date: August 28, 2010 04:22PM

Good point Bob and thank you for not posting like Mikeo, by posting alot of HAHA's, and actually keeping it on the plain of levelness.

Exactly Bob exactly, and Mikeo did I or Bob, ever once mention any other sport, besides the NFL?

I didnt and Im pretty sure he didnt either, so why refere to somthing that you brought up, and has nothing to do with what was talked about?

Mikeo wrote"
"The notion of not expanding (which isn't really expanding, just re-distrubiting) because of extra travel is laughable on every level."

What is this? Laughable on every level huh, so you would laugh at me or Bob face to face? I mean what is it? Why is it laughable that other people have a differant opinion on it?

Any-ways you laughing at other peoples post is why I dont have respect for you as a man, as a fan, and as a fellow poster.

I never in my life seen another fan of the same team ridicule other fans over stuff like this.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 04:41PM by Mia1.

Date: August 28, 2010 04:27PM

You have to compare it to other sports when talking travel. The other major sports travel fifty times as many miles and my god MUCH more often than NFL teams. To say its not good to move 2 preseason games and make them regular season games. And still play 20 games total based on "Travel"....YES is laughable!! IT's the same amount of games!!!

Date: August 28, 2010 05:33PM

Travel is one minor aspect, as I think an additional bye week will be added. Maybe at first, there won't be 16 international games per year, but in time, I think that is the goal of the league. Goodell has talked around it, but reading between the lines, this is the goal, IMO. I don't think all will be Europe and Asia, but more games in places like Canada, Mexico, maybe Brazil, Rio, maybe Puerto Rico (not truly intl, but still a long road trip). Plus games played in neutral cities,like LA, San Antonio, OKC, Portland, Birmingham, maybe Nebraska. There are a lot of places the NFL can play outside of their home stadiums to play 16 games in neutral sites. Will that happen? In time, I think so.

Anyway, besides travel, the extra wear & tear on starters will dilute the overall game, in my opinion.I just don't see the NFL giving back off-season camps, and training camps to extend the season. I think the teams will organize more scrimmages vs other teams during training camp to look at the players they would be evaluating in those 2 exhibition games they will lose.
So, in summary, more regular season games will happen, but I think the physical toll on the "regulars" will be much greater, as they will be playing more games.
PS. I have no problems with anyone on this board. I respect all of your opinions and viewpoints, and enjoy these discussions cool smiley

Date: August 28, 2010 05:36PM

You won't see 16 international games. For one the time-zone differences will make most games impossible to air on TV in this country. London, Germany, Mexico City, Canada......its not like we are going to the middle east to play games or india or anything.

Also, the UNION will make sure if there are 2 more regular season games the offseason stuff will be cut back to almost nill. That's the ONLY way they will jump on board with this.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: September 01, 2010 01:20PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> how are they going to handle the schedule?
>
> Right now you play:
>
> Your own division twice (6), One rotating division
> in your conference (4) and another in the NFC (4),
> and the two teams from the other divisions in your
> conference that finished in the same position as
> you did in your division the previous year (2).
>
>
> I'd like to see them go to a schedule where you
> play your own division 4X (12), one other division
> in your conference (4) and the two teams from the
> other divisions in your conference that had the
> same divisional standing as you the previous year
> (2).
>
> NO OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES. They don't factor
> into playoff tiebreakers anyway. This way
> winning a division means you actually won your
> division.

wow thats alot of conference games...eye popping smileysmiling smiley

What do you think of keep the 6 division games, 4 games verses one NFC conference, 4 games verses one AFC (so far like normal), and 4 more games vs a second conference which would be the same as the one you are in (so since we are in the AFC we would play 2 AFC conferences and 1 NFC conference each year). I like how those numbers works out, would be great for tie breakers since great chance you played or will play the wild card team you are on the bubble with.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 02, 2010 08:59AM

I sure hope we don't start having international games. Those really screw with competitive balance.

International travel is absolutely an issue. For instance - the trip from the west coast to London around 11 hours. So that is two days out of the week that are shot for the flight there and back. I could see if the NFL scheduled international games on a Sunday following a Thursday game (9 days rest) and followed it up with a BYE, but I don't trust the NFL schedulers to be that smart.

And then there is the question of a loss of a home game due to international games. I know it would piss a lot of Dolphins fans off if we had to meet the Patriots in London for our home game only to have to go to Foxbourough later in the season. Only if every team played 2 neutral site games per season (one home, one away) could this even begin to be considered "fair" in a competitive sense.

And I wouldn't count out the NFL at some point playing in Asia or Australia or even South Africa.

Date: September 02, 2010 09:59AM

Yeah I would say, that retard Goodell, when he was in London the past two years was like, "yeah we can make this a yearly thing, just keep up the money".

Being a money grovin commish I feel he is just saying screw the fans, and players just to scream "SHOW ME THE MONEY"!!!!

Pennington, who all on here agree is a smart guy, also disslikes the idea of 18 games, which I happen to agree with, will just create alot of issues, that don't need to happen.

Anyone thought of a 17 game season? Would that even be possible to achieve? I mean could cut down one pre-season game, and make every team play agaisnt the AFC/NFC counter part I.E AFC EAST VERSUS NFC EAST, MiavsDal, NYJ/NYG, BUF/WAS, PHI/NE.

Of course match it up with every division, agaisnt conferance, but that would create some AWSOME games, and make it very unique!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 10:04AM by Mia1.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 02, 2010 11:22AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Anyone thought of a 17 game season? Would that
> even be possible to achieve?

Not as long as there are an odd number of teams.

The product of the number of games by the number of teams (33) must be even. An odd number * odd number always gives an odd number. So, right now 17 games won't work.

Add another team and it is a great idea. Games played being 8 home, 8 away, and one neutral international site is nice competitive balance. If the international games are scheduled around BYE weeks and Thursday games, it would work out nice.

As it stands right now, any team going overseas to play a home game gets put at a sever disadvantaged. And any team NOT flying from the Northeast to London is really going to have a hard time as long as the schedule makers remain complete idiots.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.