HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins give AJ Edds jersey #54
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins give AJ Edds jersey #54
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 30, 2010 05:34AM

Really? I mean, I understand that this FO doesn't take many players 'feelings' into consideration, but this could have backlash written all over it. Especially considering that they didn't assign anyone this number in the last 2 seasons, yet when Thomas goes off on a radio interview about the FO, then they decide to give a ROOKIE his number? I'm starting to lean towards the group of people that believe this group needs to get a little more class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins give AJ Edds jersey #54
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 05:58AM

Why not give it to hime. I do not think the org plans to retire it. I liked Zac thomas as much as anyone else but I do not think he gave anything more to the org than guys like Clayton, Offerdahl or Nat Moore. If we at least played in a couple of afc championships w/ Zach and Taylor I might consider it but I do not think their results add up to retiring of Jersey's. The ring of honor yeah.

Now it burns me up to see #66 thrown out there to any rookie that steps off the bus.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 30, 2010 05:59AM

I'm moving the other way with respect to the JT thing.

1. More I read up on it the more it looks like JT tried a self interest public pressure in order to relieve his own anxiety, following his own choice to reject an offer that included a raise.

2. Dez Bryant thing, Ryan (safety) visit, agree there is room for image improvement.

- Not buying it on the JT thing, and personally Thomas may have been a part of making a public statement he didn't need to on the JT thing.

- Thomas, has been more classy in the past personnally, and may have been drawn into JT's version versus really in the know.

- Phins FO are not going to respond to play public pressure in the way that some of these guys expect ... such a response may just be a reaction to games being initiated by players publically

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 06:07AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:23AM

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:51AM

Let me clarify. My issue is that they decided to give out the number to a rookie this year. In a year after they haven't given the number out in two years, then give it out when Thomas speaks out against the organization. It all seems very childish on the FO's part.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:54AM

Let everyone play their petty games. It's not as important as if the kid can play or not. I love Zach but we are not going to retire his number so someone else has to wear it. Just let it go.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:08AM

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:52AM

I agree ease up our team is much better now than 2 or 3 years ago.

Date: April 30, 2010 10:13AM

Posted by: pvtfish ()
Date: April 30, 2010 10:49AM

As mcuh as i would love to see a fellow iowa boy continue the tradition of #54 i think that he will be sticking with #49 it was his college number and he probably has grown a bit attached to it.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 30, 2010 12:08PM

Unless there are plans to RETIRE #54 (which they won't do) they are gonna have to pass it out to somebody at some point. They should have just gave it to the kid and the team should have just ignored all news reports on it. It's such a non-story

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 30, 2010 05:34PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:27PM

LBs can't be in the 40s so he'll end up with some number in the 50s or 90s--maybe he'll get 99? lol

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 01, 2010 03:01AM

In Dallas, Dez Bryant is wearing 88, Irving said he thought it was great and that having that number back on the field, will remind the fans of his greatness on the field. I think wearing a great players number is a motivational tool used by the coaches and FO. I also agree that, unless its 13, all unused Dolphins numbers are fair game. There are far to many greats, as others stated, Dwight Stephenson and my favorite phins LB of all time, Johnny Offerdahl. Zach was great for us, but not a notch above Stephenson or Offerdahl

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: May 01, 2010 05:59AM

I believe that 3 Dolphins numbers are retired officially:12 (Bob Griese), 13 (Dan Marino), and 39 (Larry Csonka). All others are fair game.

Date: May 01, 2010 10:14AM

And I am a little surprised to this day they retired Csonka's number because of the way he left the organization and what he did on the way out.

I know it was a long wait till they retired his number, I think it was 2002 or so. Still a little surprised by that one. Joe Robbie had to be dead and burried a while before they retired Csonka's number...lol

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 01, 2010 05:55PM

I'm curious why Jim Langer, Larry Little, and Dwight Stephensen don't have their numbers retired too. What, being in the NFL Hall of Fame isn't a good enough reason? Being the best Center to ever play the game isn't a good enough reason? Offensive Linemen are, truly, the unsung hero's of this league.

Date: May 01, 2010 05:58PM

This is the NFL, if you retire that many numbers there won't be any left to use!!

53 man roster. In baseball its only 25 man roster. Lots of numebers to use in MLB. Not so many in NFL if you start retiring every guys number.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 02, 2010 03:22AM

Hey, if we ended up with so many guys in the HoF that we ran out of numbers, I'd have no problem going to 3 digits! drinking smiley

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: May 02, 2010 06:34PM

I think it was in the way they treated ZT on the way out that most people have a problem with. It will end up being used but not right now

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 03, 2010 10:19AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I am a little surprised to this day they
> retired Csonka's number because of the way he left
> the organization and what he did on the way out.
>
> I know it was a long wait till they retired his
> number, I think it was 2002 or so. Still a little
> surprised by that one. Joe Robbie had to be dead
> and burried a while before they retired Csonka's
> number...lol

Well, don't forget--Zonk at least came back to the Phins for his final year in 1979. Robbie was still alive at the time, which means they must have mended fences somehow!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: May 03, 2010 10:29AM

People have short memories. Wait a year, maybe two (IF possible) as they usually do, then give the number to an incoming rookie. Nobody will ever say a thing.

Rick

Date: May 03, 2010 12:11PM

Looking forward to hearing about some football play ... you know were in a lul when were debating jersey numbers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.