HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why not start Tannehill?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Why not start Tannehill?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 05, 2012 04:05AM

BTW, top 15 drafted QB's in today's NFL normally start from day 1 or atleast very, very early.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 05, 2012 07:27AM

I think his upside is tremendous, and he will only grow into the position with playing time. So why not let him play from the get get go? Your confidence is destroyed only if it is shallow too begin with. So if he starts off rocky like Manning then has a pro bowl career all of us all this board can live with that can't we?

Date: May 05, 2012 08:10AM

Elway looked like he would be the biggest bust in history after his first season.

---------------------

Date: May 05, 2012 08:18AM

Coach Philbin just said, according to PFT, "there is no master plan, I never remember talking about when he will play or not, no, the best man will win the job".

---------------------

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 05, 2012 08:46AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 05, 2012 09:35AM

If he's the best player he should start. If he needs work then he should sit...That said, I however, don't condone starting him immediately. Sitting him is the best choice.

Date: May 05, 2012 12:26PM

The theory is that you don't start Tannehill because defenses will confuse him based on stunts coverges and whatever else they may throw at him. However all he has to do is throw the ball to the open reciever. It's not that complicated really. If he can do that consistantly then he should start the season opener.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 05, 2012 12:40PM

Weaknesses:
Height is not ideal
Lacks elite characteristics
Product of spread offense
Release point needs to be adjusted
Not many games against top competition
Footwork needs improvement

These were the knocks on Andy Dalton coming out of TCU.

No reason RT can't be successful playing in the same offense he ran in college. If he already knows the offense, that's just more time he has to study NFL defenses.

It's going to be an interesting training camp battle.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 05, 2012 01:13PM

The thing with Dalton was, he didn't have any real competition, Tannehill does in Moore/Garrard, he would have to be head and shoulders above those two to start opening day IMO. Forcing it could cause resentment towards him from the vets on the team, and you also run the risk of Philbin losing the team early. Like I said before, let the play dictate it.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 05, 2012 01:25PM

dalton also was a multi year starter in college

Date: May 05, 2012 01:28PM

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: May 05, 2012 02:04PM

Guys, I will probably flip flop on this issue all the way up until it is officially announced.

There are good points on both sides and bottom line, we will have to trust Philbin and Sherman in their evaluation and determination of Tannyhill's readiness come opening Sunday. I, for one, am ok with this. I have confidence in their ability to handle this issue. Philbin has first hand knowledge of the Aaron Rodgers situation which should have him well prepared.

Date: May 05, 2012 02:10PM

Actually, 1423, that's a third way of looking at it, a very intelligent one, and probably the best way to look at it.

(1) We had to trust them to draft him in the first place so (2) we have to trust them to know when to play him and (3) it's their butts on the line, not ours, anyway.

I guess as fans we are just saying what we think would be the right thing to do but we're not in any position, actually, to know, but that's what chatboards are about, playing like we're management.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: May 05, 2012 03:48PM

Why not? Because he is clearly not ready. He could barely lead his team to a winning season in a mediocre NCAA conference. What makes anyone think that, with his limited experience, he'll do better with a team that has had two consecutive losing season in the NFL.

Besides, if he's kept on the bench, instead of being thrown to the wolves, there is a much greater chance Ross will be able to sell more tickets next year.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 06, 2012 04:37AM

Not sure if this is just Omars thoughts or if the FO is floating this, but either way it's a pretty logical approach

Omar Kelly ? @OmarKelly
Best QB in training camp and the exhibition season plays. If its close it will be Tannehill. If it is not, it will be Matt Moore or Garrard.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 06, 2012 04:47AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure if this is just Omars thoughts or if the
> FO is floating this, but either way it's a pretty
> logical approach
>
> Omar Kelly ? @OmarKelly
> Best QB in training camp and the exhibition season
> plays. If its close it will be Tannehill. If it is
> not, it will be Matt Moore or Garrard.

That's got to be all Omar.

No way that Philbin makes that comment at this point. He's gone out of his way to say its a wide open competition. He's too smart to come out a few days later and qualify that open competition by telling a reporter that Tannehill plays if he's almost as good as the other guys.

Omar is just reaching a logical conclusion.

The kid is the future. If he's at the same level when it comes to understanding defenses and executing the offense come September, they will go with the kid. After all, he's their boy.

I think he's right, but I also don't think Philbin will force the issue. Tannehill is going to have to earn it.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 06, 2012 07:49AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Not sure if this is just Omars thoughts or if the
> FO is floating this, but either way it's a pretty
> logical approach
>
> Omar Kelly ? @OmarKelly
> Best QB in training camp and the exhibition season
> plays. If its close it will be Tannehill. If it is
> not, it will be Matt Moore or Garrard.

I have heard this before from the Ireland in regard to players in general, in a tight competition or tie, the rookie gets the shot or wins the job....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 06, 2012 09:37AM

I think unless Tannehill comes in, and somehow shows that he cannot function as a QB in todays league AKA John Beck then he will be the starter. If he comes in, and plays like John beck then Ireland and Ross will have a mutiny on their hands.

Date: May 07, 2012 07:52AM

Clearly not ready?????

Clear to who????? Mel Kiper

It's certainly not clear to our head coach or offensive coordinator or GM or QB coach but I'm glad you're so sure.

Dan Marino played on an 8-8 team three times and a 6-10 team once.

That's almost 1/4 of his career. Does that make him any less of a QB? Was it entirely his fault we had bad seasons?

One other thing to keep in mind....Although Tannehill only had 20 starts at QB and played WR for two years, he practiced at QB during that time. He took all the 2nd team snaps during practice and was in all the QB meetings while he played WR. It's not like he was completely absent from the postion during that time.

.....................................................................................

Date: May 07, 2012 09:10AM

Date: May 07, 2012 09:18AM

The werid part of the question of Tannehill starting.. Is just because you are the best player in the system on the field. Does that mean you are ready... Meaning what happens if he give us the best chance to win, but really isnt ready... What do you do then? IMO you keep him on the bench until he is ready, whether or not he outperforms Moore, adn Garrard. Garrard hasnt played football in a year, and has had issues with his back and other things, Moore, might not take to the new system so quick... What do you do then coach?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 07, 2012 10:13AM

> Dolphanmark: Let's get the loss to Houston out of the way.

- This is the second post I recall to have seen this ... not sure why you make such a statement, I surely don't start the season with that focus.

Keep in mind that the Phins have a distinct advantage in the 1st few games, as no one has seen this group of players run this coach's offense and defense for that matter.

Yes its new for the fins too, but they have the whoe training camp to put it together, and the opposition will see precious little of it prior to opening day.

Houston is good, but not like they blew us away either. They also lost their key defensive stud (Mario) over the off season.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:30AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But eesti, we have a bad team too. Our team went
> 6-10. So unless you can guarantee that Tannehill
> IS IN FACT EXACTLY LIKE DAN MARINO, then maybe he
> should sit and learn while the rest of our team
> gets better by virtue of our other draft choices
> THIS YEAR and a good draft of surrounding talent
> NEXT YEAR.
>
> What's the matter? Do you guys really think we
> have a chance to win the SuperBowl next
> year????????????????????

No offense but that seems a little ridiculous to me. There are no guarantees in football. We could have signed Peyton Manning and there would still be no guarantees that he would play like Peyton Manning has in the past. So by that reasoning we would sit Manning b/c we have no guarantee? Did Green Bay have any guarantees when they let Favre walk and started Aaron Rodgers? No. Did Houston have any guarantees when they signed Matt Shaub? No.

There are basically two different schools of thought on the subject.

1. You play the rookie so he gets experience that he won't get by carrying a clipboard.

2. You sit him knowing it will take longer to get on the field b/c you don't want him to get gun shy.

IMO...In either case you don't play the guy unless he earns the starting job and he is the most ready/capable product you have.

Meaning...

He has the skills to make all the throws, has the ability to read and react to NFL defenses and exhibits enough comfort in the pocket that he is not going to get himself or anyone else killed.

Peyton Manning showed he was smart enough and had the physical tools to do the job even though he was playing on a 1-15 team. He threw int's and made rookie mistakes but he also showed the ability to make plays.

David Carr, Tim Couch...had the tools but not enough to make a bad team win.

Same could be said for Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker.

Christian Ponder showed a bit more than the two above but still struggled. Some of those struggles were caused by not having very good receivers. A problem that Miami may or may not have this year.

Chad Henne had more physical tools than most, sat on the bench for over a year, had ridiculous college experience and still never amounted to much. His college experience didn't do squat for Miami. He was outplayed by a guy in the same division that didn't sit for a year and had 4 fewer college starts than Tannehill and 36 fewer starts than Henne.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:53AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 07, 2012 10:59AM

I trust that the coaches and FO know all the pros and cons, bottom line we are in new territory:

1. We finally took a QB #1, & that QB has some knowledge of this system and a lot of skill.

2. We not only have a samrter QB but an equally smart coach

It has been a long time since we have had that combination.

I was listening to an NFL thing on QBs of the 90s and how Jimmy Johnson misused Dan Marino. They described it as a very experienced 14 year on field general who was given a "high school mentality offense" with no options to audible.

It made me think of how poorly Henne was managed by an overcontrolling HC that was too afraid that he might make a mistake that he wouldn't let him play.

We now have the opposite: A highly intelligent QB and highly intelligent coach, both used to running a fast pace offense that depends on a QB smart enough tomake it work.

I think he will be playing sooner than later, but when and only when he's ready. He's got the noodle, we'll see how quick he can get on the field smart at the NFL speed.

Date: May 07, 2012 11:25AM

Phin Jim, What is interesting about Philbin, he didnt call plays in GB. He was known as the mastermind game planner for the team. He came up with game plans that were extremely effective at attacking the opposing teams defense from week to week, not the play caller... MCcarthy called all of the plays in GB for a long time, defintely Philbins entire Tenure...

Nietzsche

Date: May 07, 2012 11:27AM

Date: May 07, 2012 11:56AM

Date: May 07, 2012 03:16PM

Date: May 07, 2012 03:19PM

Chyren...Take a look above...doesn't look like Crowder and Phinjim think we suck.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.