HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Top WR
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Top WR
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 08, 2010 08:36AM

We need to make sure we get Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas in this years draft because IMHO they are the only two players that have the size, speed combination to make them quality #1's and potentially dominant players. There are a couple more players to consider but none of them has the full package from a prototypical standpoint. The question is, how do we get one of them if we pass on them both at #12.

I'm fairly certain they will both be gone at #43 so a trade down to take Thomas might be the best choice for us.

The rest of the guys have some concerns that may make them more of a risk as a #1:

Tate and Gilyard, size and average speed. (IMHO we really need a big 4.4 guy)
Benn, inconsistency.
D. Williams, experience.
LaFell, speed and acceleration.
M.Williams, speed and explosiveness.
Decker, speed and injury concerns.
Ford, Size.

It will be interesting to see where we go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 08:37AM by Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top WR
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 08, 2010 08:48AM

that's why I am in favor of getting Dez at 12 and using the rest of the picks on D. There are a ton of good LBs and NTs in the draft, but not WRs. If we take D at 12, we pretty much rule out getting one of the top WRs in this draft. However, if we take Dez at 12, we can still get a NT or LB in the 2d and later rounds, who with not too much drop off from what we could have had at 12. A draft of Dez at 12, and then doubling up on LBs and DL/NTs and Safetys sounds good to me.

not in favtor of taking D Thomas at 12, that's too high. Also not in favor of trading back into the late first to get him, as we need all of our picks. However I'd be Ok with trading back into the late first for Dez should he drop that far.

Date: April 08, 2010 09:14AM

Yeah but if we could trade down into the 18-23 range get D Thomas and pick up an extra 2nd and a 3rd or 4th that would benefit the team as well.

The thing about thomas is this; he has great size and runs a 4.4/40...(bigger and faster than Bryant but not quite as polished).

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 08, 2010 09:32AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah but if we could trade down into the 18-23
> range get D Thomas and pick up an extra 2nd and a
> 3rd or 4th that would benefit the team as well.
>
> The thing about thomas is this; he has great size
> and runs a 4.4/40...(bigger and faster than Bryant
> but not quite as polished).

I like the idea of going with Thomas. Even if he's a step below Dez in pure talent, he's not the headcase that Dez is.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 08, 2010 09:54AM

I don't think Thomas is a step below Bryant for pure talent. He is below him because of injury and the offense he played in....route running.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 08, 2010 10:02AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 08, 2010 10:04AM

I'll be shocked if thomas makes it past the ravens or jets

Date: April 08, 2010 10:07AM

Ken Wrote:
> Yeah but if we could trade down into the 18-23
> range get D Thomas and pick up an extra 2nd and a
> 3rd or 4th that would benefit the team as well.
>
> The thing about thomas is this; he has great size
> and runs a 4.4/40...(bigger and faster than Bryant
> but not quite as polished).

If Bryant is gone...trade down with Tennessee at 16 (so they can get Morgan) and pick up a third (#78). Trade down again a few spots and pick up another 3rd or 4th and take Demaryius Thomas, Benn or Tate. Use one of those picks to move up from the second spot to take a better player or to move from 3rd round to 2nd to get 2 2nd round picks.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 08, 2010 10:57AM

"Tate and Gilyard, size and average speed. (IMHO we really need a big 4.4 guy)"

Bryant only ran a 4.55, I think Tate ran faster.

Date: April 08, 2010 11:17AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 08, 2010 01:58PM

There are some other guys with good upside. Carlton Mitchell, Taylor Price, David Gettis, Marcus Easley, Chris McGaha all come to mind.

Date: April 08, 2010 02:10PM

Jacoby Ford is lightning fast but only 5'-9" I think, heard him on the radio also and he sounded really level-headed.

Posted by: camaron ()
Date: April 08, 2010 02:10PM

Arrelious Benn may be a steal in the 3rd round.

Date: April 08, 2010 02:11PM

we'd be lucky if Benn is there in the 2nd

Posted by: camaron ()
Date: April 08, 2010 02:16PM

I agree dolphaholic, I think Benn's inconsistency was attributed from the QB. The kid has a lot upside, just didn't have the talent around him.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 08, 2010 04:39PM

some scouts have soured on Thomas saying he does not get good separation nor run routes well

Bryant & Tate are the studs, and Tate is less risky and ran 4.36 at the combine

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 08, 2010 05:00PM

Honestly, I don't think that Bryant is even on our draft board at all.

I don't see many options w/ the big receivers. That is why I believe we will tilt in the direction of a big skilled TE receiver.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 08, 2010 05:06PM

Who knows, he could be, as could Spiller or just to try to get someone to offer enough to move down

I am not sure any of the D players that will be available are worth the 12 pick

Date: April 08, 2010 06:27PM

Jim B Wrote:
> Honestly, I don't think that Bryant is even on our
> draft board at all.
>

A year ago, a lot of people on this board, myself included, would have said the same exact thing about Vontae Davis. But, it turned out that Davis' bad rep stemmed from two benchings, one during spring practice as a sophomore, and another that involved him not starting a game. Both were minor incidents, and Jeff Ireland worked with Ron Zook at one time, and Zook assured him there were no character issues. Dez Bryant has never been arrested. And his coach says the stories about him constantly being late for practices and games are simply not true. His NCAA suspension came because he lied about his association with Deion Sanders. Who knows, maybe Deion told him to lie, and a gullible kid took that as good advice. I'm not defending Bryant. I'm just saying that we probably can't believe everything we've heard/read about his bad character. If the Fins are comfortable with his character, then I'm sure he is on our draft board. And I think the main question becomes is he smart enough to learn how to read defenses for the option routes in Henning's offense.

Date: April 08, 2010 06:33PM

Date: April 08, 2010 08:03PM

The sporting news has Thomas listed at 4.40 in the 40. I'm not sure where they got that number but he is faster than Bryant and bigger too. I won't be upset if we take him at #12 and I won't be upset if we take Bryant at #12 either...the upside is simply too great with either player. Thomas won't be there at #43 IMHO because he is too big and fast...some team will take a shot on him in the first round. I'd love it to be one of these two guys.

They are exactly what we need.

Thomas/Bryant and Ginn on the outside with Hartline in the slot would be very hard for opponents to defend. Add to that Camarillo, Bess and maybe even Turner and you have consistent ability to throw for first downs anywhere on the field.

Thomas/Bryant and Turner, Hartline, Cammarillo would also be formidiable in the red zone simply due to size. Especially if you add Brown, Williams, Cobbs, Hilliard, Haynos, Sperry and Fasano to the mix.

Date: April 09, 2010 02:14AM

Reports were that Thomas was clocking in the high 4.3's before he broke his foot. When you watch clips of him on youtube, the thing that jumps out is how physical he is.

I think Ginn will be traded on draft day. Go watch Jeff Ireland's video chat with fans from Thursday at miamidolphins.com. When asked about the depth at WR, Ireland said that they need to see more from Patrick Turner, and that he thinks they have some good young players in Bess, Camarillo, and Hartline. Then he mentioned that they have 2 practice squad guys they like (Taurus Johnson and Julius Pruitt). And he added that they signed Ryan Grice Mullen from the CFL because he thinks he can help in the return game and add some speed to the group. He didn't mention Ginn at all. And then add in the comments on Grice Mullen, and I think Ginn's days as a Fin are numbered.

It's true that he's the only guy we have who burn people deep. And I think he'd be more effective if we had two good starters and he was the 3rd option. But, what I think has worn out his welcome with Parcells/Ireland is how soft he is. Way too many times, Ginn makes the catch and dives to the ground or ducks out of bounds, just to avoid the hit. And Ginn does that in the return game, too. They want a physical football team, and Ginn does not fit. He cannot catch the ball when the play is contested, and he doesn't make an effort for extra yardage. When a guy with his speed averages less YAC than Bess or Camarillo, something is wrong. Ginn averaged 1.4 yards after catch last season. That is completely unacceptable for one of the fastest players in the entire league.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 09, 2010 04:08AM

"Tate ....and average speed. (IMHO we really need a big 4.4 guy) ??"

TATE ran a 4.36/40 at the combine

I think Thomas will still be on the board #43

Date: April 09, 2010 06:02AM

eesti your starting to sell me on Thomas, my question is, would you take him over Bryant and if Bryants not there, would you then take him at 12? Pretty sure he wont be there in the 2nd.

Date: April 09, 2010 06:52AM

Tate isn't a big guy, he's only 5'11"/195...compare that with Bryant who is, 6'2"/215 and Thomas who is, 6'3"/229.

The combination of size and speed kill's in this league...especially since they all three have the intagibles. The bigger guys are safer bets.

Tate is good and I wouldn't be upset if we took him in the second round(But I'd still take Thomas over Tate in the very unlikely event they are both there at #43)...but at #12 it has to be Bryant or Thomas if we go WR.

Date: April 09, 2010 07:03AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> eesti your starting to sell me on Thomas, my
> question is, would you take him over Bryant and if
> Bryants not there, would you then take him at 12?
> Pretty sure he wont be there in the 2nd.

Yes I would but I would try to trade down a few spots....maybe to Tennessee and pick up a 3rd rounder and then take him. Although his stock may climb when he runs 4 days b4 the draft.

Chunk yards... You don't get any better than 25 ypc.

Date: April 09, 2010 07:10AM

Date: April 09, 2010 08:11AM

Date: April 09, 2010 10:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.