HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Interesting NFL trivia/stats
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Interesting NFL trivia/stats
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 22, 2010 12:01AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting NFL trivia/stats
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 22, 2010 01:56AM

Those 40 times are not to be believed. It was rumored that Ginn ran a 4.24 at Ohio State. Rumored. He ran a 4.31 at his Pro Day. A 4.06 would make Ginn faster than Usain Bolt.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 22, 2010 03:00AM

I heard during the summer olympic broadcast that if you translates Usain Bolts speed into a 40 yard dash it would be a 3.9. So no, Ginn would not be faster than Bolt.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 22, 2010 05:29AM

If he's THAT fast he should be really productive getting water for the guys on the bench. Sorry, who would you rather have as a WR: Reinaldo Nehemiah or Jerry Rice. I'm pretty sure I know Joe Montana's answer to that question.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:42AM

I think that these stats are very telling.

Ginn HAS been productive....likely when he faces 'man' coverage.

we are disatisfied because we expect ( and rightly so) more production fomr our #1 WR.

So what does Ginn's production look like when we get a legitimate #1 WR?

If we get a guy who demands double coverage...Ginn will have that breakout season his speed and experience suggests he should have.

Date: February 22, 2010 09:40AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that these stats are very telling.
>
> Ginn HAS been productive....likely when he faces
> 'man' coverage.
>
> we are disatisfied because we expect ( and rightly
> so) more production fomr our #1 WR.
>
> So what does Ginn's production look like when we
> get a legitimate #1 WR?
>
> If we get a guy who demands double coverage...Ginn
> will have that breakout season his speed and
> experience suggests he should have.

I agree completely. He is also a slow learner and the learning disability may have something to do with that. He could still break out and the staff still like him for that reason.

My main point in showing the stats was that he needs to be our kick returner. It is something he excels at and ranked in the top of the league. Our ST's blocking was better but could still stand to improve. THe look at our coverage units should tell you that much.

He never should have been drafted that high. Probable more like a second rounder based on the projections at that time. In hindsight, probably a 3rd rounder. Our expectations were too high based on Cameron's mistake.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 22, 2010 10:04AM

Also the 40 times listed are to be taken with a grain of salt. Ted Ginn was clocked at Ohio State running a 4.24 which would tie him with Chris Johnson. He ran a 4.38 at the combine but was still recovering from a foot injury. It's hard to compare when some are electronically timed and others are hand timed at personal workouts. I doubt it was a 4.09 at any point.

The other thing I take away from this is the hope that Chris Clemons can step it up this year and take over a starting spot. The coaches outlook on this and how they see him progressing will determine what we do at the position....release Wilson, sign a FA, draft a FS etc.

It sure would be nice to have a starting 6'2 210 pound FS that runs a 4.28 40.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 22, 2010 12:12PM

Date: February 22, 2010 12:49PM

Could be but you can only teach so much if the guy isn't learning. I don't know if its about learning individual plays as much as it is being more physical and getting separation and fighting for the ball.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 01:49PM

ginn's problems aren't things that can be coached. his issue is not route running, it's that he's afraid of contact and as a result can't make any tough catches or break any tackles

Date: February 22, 2010 01:51PM

i don't think it's that simple.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 22, 2010 02:32PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> ginn's problems aren't things that can be coached.
> his issue is not route running, it's that he's
> afraid of contact and as a result can't make any
> tough catches or break any tackles

This is such BS. Doesn't make any tough catches. vs the jets on MNF this year he caught a huge TD pass late, beating Revis. Only something a handful of guys have done all year. And vs the Jets in Week 17 last year on the road his TD catch was huge in us making the playoffs and winning the division. Im not gonna defend his play, but to say he can't make any tough catches is insane. He has had his moments. Just not enough of them to justify being picked #9 overall. I get it. But to re-write history, come on now.

And what NFL player "isn't" affraid of contact. Once again, please!

And the one thing people forget, that up until recently he has had garbage QB's throwing him the ball. Cleo Lemon, John Beck, and washed up Trent Green. Even with Pennington it wasn't like we ran some wide open offense that lets WR's have huge games and put up huge numbers. It was ball control, control the clock, punt if need be and don't turn it over. At least with Henne we have a QB who cann sling it. This gives Ginn a shot to make plays. Give him a legit NFL WR beside him then judge him.

This "mob mentality" that fans must find a whipping boy to blame EVERYTHING wrong with the team on just one guys play is laughable. If the team cut him I would understand and not go nuts. But Ginn doesn't play defense, Ginn doesn't call bad timeouts, Ginn doesn't throw INT's. This team lost last year games that had nothnig to do with Ginn but Ginn gets the brunt of the abuse for some unkown reason. I have never seen anything like it. Not since Fiedler has 1 player been so abused to the point that it becomes almost laughable.

Date: February 22, 2010 02:49PM

I have to agree completely MikeO but don't tell anyone.

Date: February 22, 2010 03:27PM

eesti Wrote:
> I have to agree completely MikeO but don't tell
> anyone.

Your coming around! winking smiley

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 22, 2010 05:21PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Ginn's slow development and Patrick Turner's lack of playing time do make me wonder what they are doing.

Date: February 22, 2010 06:08PM

the catch vs the jets was not a tough catch, he beat the CB by a few yards which is great, though rare for him, but I am referring to the kind of catches where he outleaps someone for the ball or dives and makes a catch, and there are barely any of those out of ginn

you are telling me that every nfl player is afraid of contact? fine, if you want to make stuff up, go ahead. then my point is, ginn, like all nfl players, is afraid of contact, however, unlike 80+% of them, ginn runs out of bounds or curls up into a ball to avoid this contact.

for the record, I don't want to cut ginn, I think he has value as a returner and deep threat, he's just not a #1 or #2 receiver and that's a shame because with his speed, he should be

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 22, 2010 09:01PM

And he still might be...

Ginn and every other WR we have on the team could use some help from a big, fast, reliable, game changing WR.

Oh, and BTW, Fiedler was torture to watch after his first season. He had the worst arm in team history (Pennington included) and thought (unwisely) that he could stick it in there like Marino even though he couldn't hit the side of a barn past 10 yards.

Date: February 23, 2010 02:00AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> the catch vs the jets was not a tough catch, he
> beat the CB by a few yards which is great, though
> rare for him, but I am referring to the kind of
> catches where he outleaps someone for the ball or
> dives and makes a catch, and there are barely any
> of those out of ginn

So you want the QB to make a bad through so Ginn can make a catch that he has to jump or dive for. WOW....ok

Date: February 24, 2010 11:13AM

MikeO Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the catch vs the jets was not a tough catch, he
> > beat the CB by a few yards which is great,
> though
> > rare for him, but I am referring to the kind of
> > catches where he outleaps someone for the ball
> or
> > dives and makes a catch, and there are barely
> any
> > of those out of ginn
>
> So you want the QB to make a bad through so Ginn
> can make a catch that he has to jump or dive for.
> WOW....ok

*** how can you be so obtuse? is it deliberate? (shawshank redemption)

No, I want the WR to be able to bail out the QB in the event of inevitable able throws, and not rely on perfect passes at all times in order to be capable of making a catch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.