HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jason Taylor out 3 months
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jason Taylor out 3 months
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 19, 2010 11:16AM

Jason Taylor will have shoulder surgery and is OUT for at least 3 months.

If Im the Dolphins this is a HUGE red flag and might make me think twice about re-signing him. At his age a surgery like this, I mean how much does he have left really?? And can he even hold up for 16 games and hopefully more anymore??

I know we are thin at OLB, but there might be better options who are less popular and not fan favorites. I hope before we sign this guy and give him the raise in pay that he is demanding....we think twice and use logic over emotion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jason Taylor out 3 months
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 19, 2010 11:34AM

I am not worried about the shoulder surgery. He injured it in WEEK 5 against the Pats and still played every game last year.

It might be a red flag but I look at it from the other angle.

If JT can play as strong as he did, injured, out of position, in part time duty and still make big plays and register 7 sacks....what would he have done if healthy on the weak side.

There has been criticism of JT for lack of hurries and pass defense but this would explain a little of that.

There is no question in my mind that JT at 35 is still a better player than Joey Porter or anyone we have at OLB.

Porter had 9 sacks. Taylor could have had 12 on the weak side. Without Taylor, Porter may have had only 5.

Sign him or we will regret it. He has EARNED the chance and deserves to be here and retire as a Dolphin. He played for peanuts last year... Had a great attitude and was willing to do whatever was asked of him.

Who do you think is a better (realistic) option as a FA that can rush the passer, drop in coverage and play the run the way JT still does?

He will be better after a successful surgery than he was while playing injured. He will still be healed in time for camp and will have to pass a physical.

That's 12 games playing with an injury serious enough to require surgery.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:45PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sign him or we will regret it. He has EARNED the
> chance and deserves to be here and retire as a
> Dolphin. He played for peanuts last year... Had a
> great attitude and was willing to do whatever was
> asked of him.
>
Agreed. Get him signed!! Same for Nate Jones.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: February 19, 2010 03:22PM

Sign JT NOW! You can't replace his leadership and experience.

Date: February 19, 2010 05:03PM

ranger1 Wrote:
> Sign JT NOW! You can't replace his leadership and
> experience.

The ONE year he wasn't here we went 11-5 and won the AFC East.

Needless to say,....he was replaced just fine!!

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 19, 2010 05:28PM

We shouldn't care about re-signing Taylor because he was "replaced just fine"? I didn't realize Matt Roth was still on our team, Mike

Date: February 19, 2010 05:44PM

Or Joey Porter....Hey Dan Marino wasn't here either and we did great with Feidler...guess he is easily replaceable too. Faulty logic. If he makes you better you sign him. Maybe if he was here last year, he does one of his famous sack & strips and runs for a TD and gets 3 sacks when Joey disappears.

We don't have a full time OLB on the roster and to expect a rookie to come in and light it up and get 15 sacks is wishful thinking.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 19, 2010 05:54PM

Date: February 19, 2010 05:57PM

eesti Wrote:
> Or Joey Porter....Hey Dan Marino wasn't here
> either and we did great with Feidler...guess he is
> easily replaceable too. Faulty logic. If he makes
> you better you sign him. Maybe if he was here last
> year, he does one of his famous sack & strips and
> runs for a TD and gets 3 sacks when Joey
> disappears.
>
> We don't have a full time OLB on the roster and to
> expect a rookie to come in and light it up and get
> 15 sacks is wishful thinking.

Not having a full time OLB on the roster doesn't mean you make a BAD deal or a BAD decision and sign JT. That's bad business

Im not saying don't sign JT....thats not what Im saying. I'm saying this guy is old and breaking down. We won when he wasn't here which says a lot. So I wouldn't be gung-ho on giving him a raise like JT is demanding. I would explore all options and if signing JT is the right move then do it. But with this latest injury, Im not so sure giving this guy a raise and bringing him back is the best move. But with no salary cap really the money isn't that much of an issue. Just do we need an old breaking down OLB when better options might be a better fit for this team and for the long-term

Date: February 19, 2010 08:45PM

So name some better options...you are quick to shut down ideas and bash Dolphin greats but offer no alternatives.

Gung ho on a raise...he made less than almost any starter on defense last year and is STILL the heart of the defense.

We had ONE winning year without him...like I said what could we have done WITH him. We lost in the first round of the playoffs to a rookie QB.

I'm not saying break the bank either but give the guy what he is worth and that is more than any LB'er we have...it's more than a mil a year.

breaking down?????...he played 16 games last season. He had a calf injury the year before and played 4-3 LDE. That was just stupid coaching....I mean come on....for the sake of Andre Carter to play RDE. STUPID!

The smart thing...the right thing to do is sign him for a fair contract....let him play full time until about game 6 then ease him back but let him play on the weak side and on passing downs and watch him get 12-15 sacks, 3 or 4 FF and maybe another TD.

Jason Taylor is "The Freak"...not Jevon Kearse...6'6 and prob still runs a 4.6 at 35 yrs old....and still makes it happen on the field.

He is not going to demand to be the highest paid pass rusher in the league...he wants to play in Miami. It is not a bad decision to sign JT and would not be for any team....and we NEED him.

He is 11th in all time sacks and 5 away from passing LT. He is 10 away from Richard Dent at 6th place. He is 14.5 away from Mike Strahan and 5th place ALL TIME.

LET HIM DO IT AS A DOLPHIN and go out in style!!!!

Jason Taylor, Dan Marino, Bob Griese and Larry Csonka are the best Dolphin players of ALL TIME.

It still makes me sick to think of how Marino was forced out and how Elway got to go out on his own terms.

I know your attitude is to use them up and squeeze every drop of blood out of them for the sake of a (long) SHOT at a championship and then kick them to the curb but that is not my idea of sportsmanship or football.

When the Dolphins take on the Patriot or Raider philosophy is when I stop being a Dolphin fan.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: February 20, 2010 06:48AM

eesti pretty much covered all my point and I agree. The guy is still productive played for nothing and wants to stay in Miami. He has showed the loyalty and dedication to the team how about the team do the same for him.

According to your logic get rid of Taylor and Keep Porter. After all Porter was a lot more productive without Taylor.

No thanks! Keep Taylor and let him retire as a Phin!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 20, 2010 05:44PM

ranger1 Wrote:
> According to your logic get rid of Taylor and Keep
> Porter. After all Porter was a lot more productive
> without Taylor.
>
That logic doesn't work anywhere but, maybe, an alternate universe. Porter had ONE really good year in Miami. ONE! And that was the ONE year that JT wasn't here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.