HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mike Nolan's Defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mike Nolan's Defense
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 16, 2010 11:34AM

I was doing a little research on Nolan's past stints as DC to get an idea on what type of players fit his scheme and what his schemes were...

His first job as DC was in 1993 with the NYG. They ran a 3-4 defense but this was the last year for ROLB prototype Lawrence Taylor.

In 1994 the Giants switched to a 4-3 following the retirement of LT and the emergence of Michael Strahan. They ran this defense for years up and past Nolans run when he left after the 1996 season. They were not a good team (6-10 under Dan Reeves) but had the 10th ranked defense.

From 1997-1999 Nolan coached a 4-3 in Washington under Norv Turner. They were ranked 8th in his first year and 24th in points allowed in the final year.

In 2000 Nolan left to be the DC for the NYJ under Al Groh. He stayed for only one year and finished 13th (PA) with a 3-4 defense. Jason Ferguson was the NT, Roman Phifer (6'2 248)(4 sacks) was the ROLB along with James Farrior (6'2 242)(1 sack) and rookie John Abraham (6'4 256)(4.5 sacks). Brian Cox was the LILB (6 sacks). Mo Lewis was the LOLB (6'3 258) and had 10 sacks. Shaun Ellis was the nickle DE and had 8.5 sacks.

In 2001 he took a job as WR coach for the Ravens. They were currently running a 4-3 with the 4th ranked defense. Finished 10-6. Marvin Lewis (DC for 2000 SB season) left to go to Cincy.

In 2002 he became the DC for the Ravens. They switched to the 3-4 and finished the season ranked 19th with 7-9 record. The following position changes & roster moves were made....

Ed Reed drafted in 1st round.
Sam Adams (LDT) left to go to Oakland
Tony Siragusa (RDT) retired.
Kelly Gregg took over at NT
Pete Boulware switched from RDE/LLB to ROLB
Adalius Thomas played RDE (until switching to LOLB in 03 - ROLB in 04)
Ray Lewis moved from MLB to RILB until injured-played 5 games
Cornell Brown played LOLB (switched from LLcool smiley 6'0 240
Rob Burnett (LDE went to Miami)
Anthony Weaver (rookie) played LDE-6'3 290 (3.5 sacks)

In 2003 they played the 3-4 and finished 6th in PA. 10-6 record. Drafted Terrell Suggs in 1st round.

Edgerton Hartwell assumed the LILB spot with Ray back at RILB.
ROLB was Boulware (8.5 sacks)
A. Thomas (4 sacks) splitting time with Terrell Suggs (12 sacks) at LOLB
Marques Douglas at RDE (4.5 sacks)

In 2004 finished 6th in PA with 9-7 record (3-4 defense).

They traded their 2003 2nd round pick and their 2004 1st rounder for the pick that took Kyle Boller. (Yikes!)

A. Thomas (6'2 270) ROLB 8 sacks, 72 tackles
T Suggs (6'3 260) LOLB 10.5 sacks, 60 tackles
Pete Boulware (6'4 255 ROLcool smiley out for season.

It looks as though most of the sacks were coming off the left side which is odd. I think the web site may have this backwards as I believe Suggs played on the weak side...not entirely sure.

Under Nolan, the ROLB is supposed to be able to put his hand on the ground and play DE (4 man line) or drop back and play OLB. He has to be able to play the run, rush the passer and cover TE's.

We are in serious need of an OLB for both sides as of right now. No player on our roster can do all 3 phases.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 11:43AM by eesti.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike Nolan's Defense
Date: February 16, 2010 12:41PM

continued....

Took over as HC for a very bad 49er team that was coached by Dennis Erickson 03-04 and a terrible personnel department. Could not attract any FA's. Ranked 32nd in PA on defense.

2005 SF 49ers: Switched fro 4-3 to 3-4 defense. Ranked 30th with very thin Personnel. Brings in former player Marques Douglas to play RDE. Is stuck with 1st overall QB Alex Smith.

2006: Ranked 32nd. Best defensive player was 34 year old (LDE) Bryant Young 5.5 sacks. Gets stuck with immature Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson as two first round picks.

2007: ranked 20th after drafting RILB Patrick Willis to run around behind Bryant Young (6.5 sacks).

2008: ranked 23rd. Signed Justin Smith (7 sacks) and (LILcool smiley Takeo Spikes. ROLB Parys Haralson (6'1 260) led the team with 8 sacks. Aubrayo Franklin develops into top NT.

Fired as HC. Goes to Denver as DC to convert 4-3 to 4-3 defense.

Brings in Ron Fields from S.F. to play NT. Adds Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Andre Goodman and Vonnie Holliday from Miami.

Starts out 6-0 then goes 2-8 after bye week. Finishes 12th in league in PA.

ROLB Elvis Dumervil (6'0 260) has 17 sacks to lead NFL. Dawkins, Dumervil and Bailey to Pro Bowl.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 16, 2010 06:43PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Under Nolan, the ROLB is supposed to be able to
> put his hand on the ground and play DE (4 man
> line) or drop back and play OLB. He has to be able
> to play the run, rush the passer and cover TE's.
>
> We are in serious need of an OLB for both sides as
> of right now. No player on our roster can do all
> 3 phases.

JT CAN do this in short stints. He's just not an every-down guy anymore. You mentioned Merling in another thread. Maybe JT can mentor Merling to fill that role, and they can switch off next season.

Date: February 16, 2010 08:30PM

Maybe JT should mentor Wake for doing what he knows best...sacks and changing games....Sign JT... NOW. He is still better than you think.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 17, 2010 01:16AM

Wake doesn't need a mentor he needs playing time

Date: February 17, 2010 08:05AM

Except Sparano doesn't play guys that aren't ready just to get them reps.

Wake insists that he will start this year so hopefully he learns how to play the run and cover.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 17, 2010 09:40AM

Agreed!

This guy has speed, a fast motor, intensity. His size isn't ideal. A little taller and heavier would be nice, at least he can put some muscle on.

If he comes into TC with another 10 lbs of muscle? he is a serious candidate for the starting spot.

But unless he gets to actually play? he will not develop enough. Game time is the best developer of talent.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 17, 2010 09:44AM

Sparano's team failed to make the play-offs, had a lack of talent at pass-rush and tackling.

Since it is unlikely that they are about to sign a bunch of Pro-bowlers....and since he fired his DC....maybe some of last year's decisions were wrong?

Maybe the Coaches can improve in the off-season as well?

That said....Porter wouldn't come off the field when they were trying to send Wake in. So...they did want to give him more reps.

Date: February 17, 2010 12:25PM

That's not a fair at all. After the 08 season, everyone thought Sparano was the second coming now u want to lay the blame on his decisions?

You can't lay last seasons failures all on Sparano. We went downhill after injuries. No team....including the Super Bowl teams...could have handle losing their starting QB, RB, CB, NT & LB. NONE!

Losing Ferguson had a chain reaction to the entire defense. Without him other guys were getting double teamed and our LB's were dealing with more o-lineman.

We may have not gotten consistent pressure on the QB but we still finished the season ranked 3rd in sacks with 44.

Lets just throw Wake in whether he's ready or not and let him get toasted by TE's and burned by outside runs just so he can get some experience....right.

If he doesn't show he has improved during camp and preseason...he won't be starting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 12:29PM by eesti.

Posted by: ifShulaWasPrez ()
Date: February 18, 2010 07:10AM

uh . i guess your a mike nolan fan club member .

Date: February 18, 2010 09:12AM

That remains to be seen. I do think he can make our defense better and I don't think there was another candidate on the market that is any better.

I also think that after seeing what happened to Wilford and Turner that Sparano doesn't give you a chance to play if you are not showing him you can do it in practice.

I think Wake can produce some nice sack numbers as a situational pass rusher but we also need another guy to play on running downs on the weak side as well as the strong side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.