HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sparano needs to assume some control.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Sparano needs to assume some control.
Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 12, 2010 07:48AM

I just read the article about Groh possibly becoming our DC. I was struck by how often he himself talked about working with Parcells, and putting 2 & 2 together. The writer even talked about ti.

IMO, since BP can walk anytime with his cash....and Tony is the HC...it is time for Tony to sit with BP and say" let me bring in my own guys."

I find it hard to believe that there is no one under 60 that could come in a revamp this D with fire and integrity.

I am sure Groh would be good. BUT...does having a BP friend at DC help Tony Sparano run this team? If The Tuna isn't committing to the next 2 seasons....it's time for him to hand over the keys to his latest protoge...and say "here you go son....you drive"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sparano needs to assume some control.
Posted by: moley6969 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 07:55AM

i think sparano took complete control of the firing of paul p!!
and it was due ,he also fired the o line coach last year

but yes how many of these players are sparano type???

but he did know that b4 he arrived here

al groh i dont want here a negative /dont bend type def cord
didnt we see that last year ,lets have some one who brings a agressive type def for a change

Date: January 12, 2010 08:04AM

Agreed. I would like a guy who brings a Rex Ryan, Gregg Williams type defense. Let's attack the other team!

I know we had lot's of sacks...but I mean attack everything, run's, passes, screens. We need a variety of looks and alignments, and blitzes.

We need a guy who can take quick inventory of his tools and makes use of them and not someone who is trying to sharpen a screwdriver into a chisel to make his system work.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 12, 2010 08:26AM

Sparano was a former O-Line coach, so his expertise is offense. Consequently, he may be defering to Parcells on defense decisions. Just a theory.

Date: January 12, 2010 09:37AM

I can see the value in that...but...I have worked in High School Football for years...and despite working as HC and OC for the last 11, I have coached against, with, and around guys who are great DC's.

Tony Sparano is in the generations of 'new' coaches. He will be going against the Rex Ryan, Josh McDaniels, generation...( even Belicheck is a youngin' compared to the Henning, Groh, Pasqualoni, Parcells groupings.) he needs to be able to COMMAND them without needing to get Big Bill to support him.

If Bill is leaving soon; which is likely, then he needs to help Tony find a guy that will be loyal to Tony, or at least defer to him ( rather than to Bill via him) Big difference.

Shouldn't that interview with Groh been something like, " I haven't heard from Tony yet"..." I've never coached with him; but, we both have worked with Bill Parcells, I am sure my philosophy would work with his program." "If Tony calls, I would be happy to talk to him."

It needs to be Tony's hire.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: January 12, 2010 09:56AM

I think Groh is 64 or 65 FWIW

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:08AM

I'm not aginst a young guy as long as he knows his stuff ... but there is also nothing werong withan older guy as a coach (not a player) that still has the fire, and has the experience

I'm less worried by an old guy that knows his stuff as a coach

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:51AM

Sparano is the Head Coach not the FO. He doesnt *ultimately* makes these decisions. It is the GM and FO guys who hire and fire coaches. Yes, the HC should have a say, but you cant blame Sparano for this. It is not his job to do that. His job is on the field, coaching.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 12:03PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 12, 2010 12:30PM

Peter King reported Tony made this call and wasn't told to fire anyone.

Posted by: moley6969 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 01:19PM

yep and good on him !!!!!!!!!

didnt really take that much to work out tho did it

stats How about these numbers Pasqualoni: 29th in yds. per pass play allowed, tied for 25th in pts. allowed, 140 4th quarter pts. allowed.

so why is it up to sparano to fire guys that parcells have choose

thats the next question

Date: January 12, 2010 02:15PM

Absolutely NOT!

A Head Coach brings in his guys. He is responsible for their production. While it is true that some Head Coaches have been urged/pressured by the F.O. to fire an assitsant ( ussualy to save their own job), they coaching staff is hired & fired by the HC.

That is pretty standard in any league, at all levels.

I know a former CFL Head Coach who was an NFL asst. ( OL, DE's) who worked with a HC under Bill Polian...and Polian wanted the HC to fire a guy...to which the HC said "You hired me to Coach the players you bring in. You get final say on which guys come...I get final say on my staff. You want him gone you start by firing me."

That is not uncommon.

BUT...here...we all knew that Parcells had final say over Ireland...and Sparano. Thinking otherwise is naive.

It is time for Sparano to establish himself.

Date: January 12, 2010 02:17PM

I believe that Tony fired him. I even believe Tony wanted him to be fired. But I don't believe for 1 second that this wasn't run by the Tuna first.

And I believe the new hire will be run through him as well. Which I am fine with.

I am saying that BP needs to help Tony bring in a guy that isn't one of Bill's old buddies.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:22PM

I think Tony has more control of this team than some of you guys think. Parcells I believe is more of the buffer between the suits and the workers and also to lend some advice from time to time. But I do believe that Tony the Tiger has good control over his team

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:55PM

Date: January 12, 2010 03:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.