HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on the game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts on the game
Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 27, 2009 12:13PM

1) No pass rush. Moses had the lone sack on a play where the QB held on too long. Where was Porter? JT? Did Wake get any snaps at all? I looked for him but didn't see him in the game.

Unless I am wrong on that...whay wasn't Wake playing? I didn't hear about any injury issues? Was this a case of the coaches doing the opposite of what the fans & media want to prove that they are smarter? THIS bothered me the most. Wake and Anderson have shown that they are effective at OLB but they don't get the playing time.

2) the players did not commit to winning this game. You may call that quitting? Sure. You can call it playing flat. Whatever the term, they came out slow footed, and allowed themselves to be outmuscled. OL allowed defenders to shed the blocks too easily, defenders allowed themselves to blocked, tacklers (other than Clemons) were reluctant to go low and stick their nose in.

3) Officating was horrid.

4) Henne needs to settle down and learn to throw with touch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on the game
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 27, 2009 12:22PM

Wake was in there on a number of pass rushing situations. But, he didn't come close to making a play. He was usually just getting ridden upfield on his speed rush. A couple of times he tried his inside move, but he was double teamed on those.

On that TD to Jacoby Jones, Schaub was in the pocket for over 6 seconds. That just can't happen.

Posted by: dullfin ()
Date: December 27, 2009 01:06PM

Time to tune into baseball lol

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: December 27, 2009 02:19PM

I agree that the pass rush was almost non-existant. Their QB had all the time in the world to move around in the pocket and accurately deliver the ball all over the field. I'm sure that they were using a max protection scheme and other times he would get rid of the ball really quick to a TE in the flat or a quick slant over the middle.

Losing Channing Crowder added to the snow ball effect. They were also able to run the ball much better than advertised.

The early turnover, which goes to your point #4...also oppened up the flood gates. It was good to see JT on the sideline chewing out our defensive backfield.

Their QB was super accurate. Ours was high, late, and hard...not enough touch on many of those passes. He did many things well. He had an excellent scramble up the middle for a first down. Spread the ball around well. He needs another offseason to work on the fine details and become more complete. His ability to hit on those deep outs and throw a nice deep ball is encouraging. But, both Ginn and Bess bailed him out on a couple of off-target throws.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: December 27, 2009 03:26PM

I have many thoughts on the game but if I post em I will get banned.... they all include bad language.....LOL

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 27, 2009 03:40PM

For Henne to throw with touch is either 1) an impossibility because all of his success from Pee Wee to College football has been his strong arm. Either you are strong armed and already have the touch (like Marino) or it is too late in the pros to develop it.

or 2) if you change it, then you might not like the outcome.

RATHER, I think the game announcers put their finger on it. HENNE NEEDS TO THROW LOW.......NOT HIGH.

When you throw low, your receivers might not breakaway for the YAC touchdown, but you don't have the interceptions and incompletions.

I have seen 2 touchdowns by Henne on bombs (both to Ginn and one of them called back today.) I have also seen one near miss thrown to a receiver who caught the ball ahead but could not outrun the tackler.

Only 3 such bombs since Pennington went down is not enough IMHO to trade for the interceptions and incompletions that would not have occurred if Henne had learned to throw low.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 27, 2009 04:21PM

It doesn't help Henne that our receivers don't get separation. If he wants to complete passes, he has to fit them into tight areas. The natural instinct on throws like that is put some mustard on them. And if anyone for a minute thinks that Henne is somehow rifling the ball harder than Favre, Elway, or Marino in their primes, you're crazy. Remember their receivers talking about that they threw so hard they would actually split the web of skin between their fingers? Their receivers managed to hang on to the ball. Ours don't, except for Camarillo. The INT today was all on Ricky. That ball was not thrown hard at all. And when Rich Gannon made the comment about how the receivers need to see the ball come out of the Qb's hand? That's laughable. Ask Marino. Ask any top QB. Lots of times, the ball needs to be in the air before the receiver has made his break. That's what separates the great QB's from guys like Rich Gannon.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: December 27, 2009 05:52PM

Thoughts of the game......last game.....this decade.....dont ask....thoughts of murdering 53 players and a head coach should be left silent!

Date: December 27, 2009 06:31PM

Whoa......if you are contemplating that PLEASE DON'T DO IT IN CALIFORNIA.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: December 27, 2009 06:41PM

Relax my friend.......just one of "imagine this happening" moments but then you come to and just grin......besides.....all those voices in my head are too busy thinking about other things.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 28, 2009 05:00AM

> For Henne to throw with touch is either 1) an impossibility because all of his success from Pee Wee to College football has been his strong arm. Either you are strong armed and already have the touch (like Marino) or it is too late in the pros to develop it.

Excuse me for saying so but IMHO this is BS.

1. Henne has already shown that he can throw with touch.

- Either you didn't see the first jets game or chose to forget.
- Several other games also dispalayed very good touch.

2. Problem is that Henne is trying to do too much tih too little.

- Defense never showed up. Thus its all on Henn's shoulders ... again
- Without Ronnie, not much run game .. again on Henne

3. Give the kid sum wrs he can count on and it will be alright.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: December 28, 2009 05:21AM

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: December 28, 2009 06:45AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't help Henne that our receivers don't get
> separation. If he wants to complete passes, he has
> to fit them into tight areas. The natural instinct
> on throws like that is put some mustard on them.
> And if anyone for a minute thinks that Henne is
> somehow rifling the ball harder than Favre, Elway,
> or Marino in their primes, you're crazy. Remember
> their receivers talking about that they threw so
> hard they would actually split the web of skin
> between their fingers? Their receivers managed to
> hang on to the ball. Ours don't, except for
> Camarillo. The INT today was all on Ricky. That
> ball was not thrown hard at all. And when Rich
> Gannon made the comment about how the receivers
> need to see the ball come out of the Qb's hand?
> That's laughable. Ask Marino. Ask any top QB. Lots
> of times, the ball needs to be in the air before
> the receiver has made his break. That's what
> separates the great QB's from guys like Rich
> Gannon.

I think Brett Favre broke Antonio Freeman's fingers quite a few times

Date: December 28, 2009 09:15AM

There are times to throw low...especially on a dig or comeback route, but you also need to be able to throw touch.

Henne CAN throw touch...but, he needs to settle down. I think the pass rush made the game a bit too fast for him. When you are in a hurry you also throw bullets.

Marino did the same thing his rookie season. The WR's were dropping balls that were on target but were coming too hard.

Have you guys ever worked with a JUGGS throwing machine? Try catching speed balls coming directly at you as opposed to long arcing balls. You can see the ball coming at you....and you can get your hands in a good position...but a ball that is going faster than you are expecting goes right through or off your hands. You need to have 6-8 balls like that before you get the feel for catching them. You can do it...and become quite good at it..but it takes some practice.

My guess is Henne has more touch in practice when he can take his time. They need to simulate the same type of rush he faced yesterday.

The other issue is that in college...Henne had WR's who could get wide open. He had no problem connecting with Ginn on the deep ball.

Date: December 28, 2009 09:23AM

Agreed, he is rushing his throws and squeezing them in...it will come with experience.

Look at Drew Brees and Philip Rivers...they were mediocre in their first 2 seasons. It takes WR's and experience.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 09:49AM

I think Henne's biggest problem was holding onto the ball too long. It doesn't help that his WR's weren't getting open regularly, but he is taking too many sacks.

He needs to get a better feel for the internal pass rush clock and then throw it away if the play isn't there. Sacks ruin drives and force QBs to have to make bigger plays than they should. 2nd and 10 is a LOT different than 2nd and 16.

The sacks need to go. Most of them should be squarely on Henne's shoulders. He held the ball too long and did not manage the pocket as he should have. Sure, a wall of protection would help, but in the NFL you can't always expect that.

Date: December 28, 2009 09:56AM

Yeah but it is one thing for someone to throw with touch on a single occasion or a few in given time when he is thinking about it.

What I'm talking about is throwing WITH TOUCH in the appropriate circumstance WHEN IT COMES AS A MATTER OF SECOND NATURE.

To be even more specific, I'm talking about IS WILL HE DO IT ON ONE PLAY when the pressure is on, when your team is behind, when it is 3RD DOWN and when there is a defensive lineman inches away from him and his target is twenty yards away and is a running back.

My point is that if this throw requires touch and Henne has not learned it yet, he never will.

Does that mean he cannot be an All-Pro quarterback? It does not mean that. It just means that the receivers, backs and tight ends as well, have to adjust and learn to catch his balls.

But you can teach him to throw low.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 28, 2009 10:49AM

We'll agree to disagree .. in my view:

1. He is a first year player. Not quite an old dog that can't learn a new trick.

2. He has shown he can throw the touch ball, and when he gains enough experience the distractions of a speeded up game (who he puts on his own shoulders) will not be so distracting (due to experience).

3. Sparano purposely restricted his throws and rehearsed the early games. With it came great success.

- Later we lost Ronnie, and thus the one dimensional team placed even more rush on the QB. More rush less time, perhaps equals less touch.

I have a lot of issues with this team ... henne is waaaaay down the list

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.