Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Fantastic article...(if you can call it one)
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Fantastic article...(if you can call it one)
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: June 04, 2009 11:28AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fantastic article...(if you can call it one)
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 04, 2009 01:43PM

I really really enjoyed this one very very much....

48. "We liked a couple of those receivers up there, but we didn't feel there was a guy that was going to come in and make more of a contribution than a linebacker." - Dave Wannstedt, on why he chose Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin in the 2003 draft.

Date: June 04, 2009 01:45PM

Hot Dam and this one LMAO..................

44. "The next time I see a doctor, it better be for an autopsy." - A.J. Duhe in 1984 after his fifth operation in 18 months

Date: June 04, 2009 02:02PM

3. "Now when I go to the bathroom I find out who my friends are." - Jake Scott after both broken hands were in casts following the 1972 season

LMAO.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: June 04, 2009 03:54PM

what strikes me is that everything Wanny said was beyond stupid (re boldin, trent green, etc) and that there is not one quote on there from marino. in fact the only thing I ever remember marino saying that was quotable was when he ripped that reporter after the game saying "you wouldn't know about that, would you," re playing sports. I think he is a great broadcaster though, which is suprising given that we was not much of a quote quy when he played.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: June 05, 2009 06:31AM

"Dammit! How many times have I told you?" - Jimmy Johnson, throwing a portable television at offensive coordinator Gary Stevens on the flight back from the New England playoff loss in 1997 after watching the video and seeing the Patriots had stolen the Dolphins' calls (from former scouting director Bob Ackles' autobiography, The Water Boy)

Are you serious? God damn Patriots... Has that team ever played an honest game? Forget Tom Brady, forget the rings, that teams biggest legacy has always been and will always be CHEATING!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2009 07:53AM

It comes out in the quotes...

Wanny was an idiot, Jimmy was an egomaniac, and Shula was a dignified genius.

All and all, fun stuff.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: June 05, 2009 08:47AM

Date: June 05, 2009 03:56PM

It's not cheating it's smart? That's retarded.

The 3rd base coach goes through 10,000 gestures after every pitch to ensure his calls remain undecipherable to the other team in the event that someone from that team is ATTEMPTING TO CHEAT by trying to steal them. In order to gain an unfair competitive advantage. I'll repeat that "an unfair competitive advantage"

Not because it's a basic, run-of-the-mill part of the game. Rather it's an unfortunate, but necessary precaution that teams must take because there is dishonesty in the game in the form of opponents trying to cheat by stealing signals to help them win instead of getting it done on the field. Dishonesty that aims to ruin the most sacred and important aspect of any and every sport; a level playing field.

You can't look at the great lengths that people go through to prevent cheaters from stealing their signals as an indication that stealing the signals to begin with is ok. The steps teams take to prevent being cheated out of a fair competition don't validate the practice of cheating.

Just because the NSA makes everyone take their shoes off to check for bombs before getting on an airplane doesn't mean that it's OK to sneak bombs in your shoes. Just because precautions against cheating exist doesn't mean the cheating is therefore, somehow acceptable.

Stealing signals violates the spirit of the game, whether it's baseball or football. If a team uses the same signals for 10 years and they are discovered and used by another team to cheat, it doesn't mean they're stupid for not changing them it just means they weren't vigilant enough to protect themselves against cheaters, which is a separate activity that no one would have to worry about focusing on if teams played the sport honestly. And a team doesn't need to use the same signals for 10 years to have them stolen.

What if the Pats stole them during the game? What if they had an agent on Miami's staff? What if Miami's defensive coordinator's assistant was feeding them info? Would that just be smart football? Good tactics? No. It completely invalidates NE's offensive success because the QB didn't have to face a defense. If Brady knows what the defense is going to do, where is the sport? There is none because the other team can win without having to outplay their opponent.

There's a reason the Patriots had to give up a draft pick for finally getting caught doing this. When Tom Brady gets fed the opposing defense's exact call (who's dropping back into coverage, who's blitzing, how many, from where, etc.) into his helmet before the play, you're introducing an unfair competitive advantage that has nothing to do with skill. He gets to cancel out the tough competition that a superior defense throws at him by being able to artificially undermine their efforts.

The whole point of the game is centered around athletes playing other athletes, where superior performance wins. If you can artificially handicap the other teams athletes it defeats the entire purpose of the sport. Real teams don't focus on finding any and every way to cheat the other team out of a fair competition. They focus on getting it done on the field. That's why I have no respect for the Patriots.

Date: June 05, 2009 05:05PM

If its cheating........how come only 1 coach came out against Belichick, who happened to be Mangini and he had a GRUDGE.

No other coach came out against Belichick. WHY........cause all coaches and teams do it. JJ told stories about doing it. Brian Billick talked about doing it. They all do it or try to do it!!!!

Get over the cheating thing. It makes any fan who can't look second rate and jealous. Everyone else in America is over it. Time to move on and get over it. It's not a big deal, really.

As Dolphins fans WE should be above the petty back and forth of...."they cheated". Boo f'n Hoo!!! who cares?! They won championships and lots of them because they are a great franchise who had better players and coaches than we did. Not because of video tape!!

And you have NO PROOF at all that Brady was getting defensive formations into his helmet before the play. that was NEVER reported!!!!!Actually that is impossible to do and you just made it up and exposes and throws out your whole argument as invalid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 05:08PM by MikeO.

Date: June 05, 2009 06:28PM

MikeO, you're a Cowboys fan and Patriot Apologist. Do you think we care what you think?

We know Miami is the Greatest NFL Team, and we know the Patriots cheated on several occasions, even back when they won the first SB with the Rams. Your efforts to convince us otherwise are not only sad, but you don't even have your facts straight.

And why waste your time here if you're a Dallas fan and don't hate the Cheaters?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 06:31PM by ghotirule.

Date: June 05, 2009 07:45PM

Sorry not a Cowboys fan or a Pats appologist. I just live in the world of REALITY!!! And just because I am a Dolphins fan doesn't mean I ignore the rest of the world and think Miami is the best of everything of all-time. Sorry.....

Posted by: opus ()
Date: June 06, 2009 02:16AM

Mike O
Just because everybody goes above the speed limit doesn't mean that you are not speeding. Just because you have stolen cable and there are ads in various magazines for products that allow you to do it, does not make it legitimate. Bellicheat is an ass, anyone in football will tell you that. Brady is a schmuck, once again, just about anybody in football will tell you that. And you come on a Phins fan site an run your garbage and expect us to go "OH... I never saw it that way!! Thanks Mike smiling smiley" Living in the real world involves knowing who you are dealing with and accepting their view of things. Go Troll elsewhere!!

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: June 06, 2009 02:35AM

Well..back to the article.

The quotes were fun, and it is kind of telling who knows their stuff and who doesn't. We all rag on Wannstedt, but Olivadotti has got to be one of the biggest idiots around.

I never knew that Ed Pope told Robbie to go to the top and hire Shula. And now, here we are again, going to the top and hiring Parcells. These will be good years.

Date: June 06, 2009 06:01AM

Wanny and olivadotti were as good for pro football as my grandmother is.

Wanny couldn't coach or draft, olivadotti fielded the worst defenses of alltime. They both stunk at whatever it was they did.

Date: June 06, 2009 06:08AM

Olivadotti didn't field a bad defense, he had some good players (not great but good enough). Plus he wasn't in charge of bringing in players that blood is on Shula's hands. But Olivadotti had players on his defense he just had no clue what to do with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 06:14AM by MikeO.

Date: June 06, 2009 06:12AM

He stunk as a defensive coordinator. Thats why i said he stunk at whatever it was he did.

Date: June 06, 2009 11:35AM

"And you have NO PROOF at all that Brady was getting defensive formations into his helmet before the play. that was NEVER reported!!!!! Actually that is impossible to do and you just made it up and exposes and throws out your whole argument as invalid."

Yeah, great argument Mike. "NO PROOF" Why is that? Oh yeah because Roger Goodell destroyed the proof. That was f*ing jaw dropping btw. Instead of shining sunlight on the scandal, to get to the bottom of exactly what was going on, we'll never know how much they stole, how bad it was, etc.

And like Ghotirule said, you need to get your facts straight. You have no clue what you're talking about. I didn't make up anything! I'm just regurgitating what the reports said. The WHOLE god damn point of the entire cheating scandal centered around Tom Brady getting fed the defensive calls into his helmet while on the field. That WAS reported. That was the whole reason for all the outrage. Because the whole extent of the cheating was protected from the public by Goodell after he inexplicably destroyed the evidence, the only thing we DO know is that the Patriots were stealing defensive calls, video taping them, and using that info to help the offense exploit the D.

Why would that help you win? The only way that is of any use is by using that information to adjust your offense accordingly. Tom Brady did that at the line. I don't know if you understand how the comm systems work between the players who are wired and the coordinator on the other end, but it's as simple as observing the defensive signal and then telling the QB down on the field what the defense is going to do. Not only is it not impossible, it's relatively easy as long as you know the defensive signal, which the Patriots did.

Get it straight, as much as you'd like for it to go away, America didn't forget about it. The media tried to downplay it and Goodell covered it up. We won't forget. It is a big deal. Especially because that is very likely the tip of the iceberg with them. The entire franchise is tainted as is all of their success. Taping Superbowl walk-throughs? Maybe. We don't know. We'll never know now will we? They cheated the sport. End of story.

Date: June 06, 2009 11:40AM

Some people just need to realize that patriots from this decade on will always be known as "CHEATERS". Just accept it and move on!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 06, 2009 11:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.