HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Here's a crazy thought...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Here's a crazy thought...
Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:10AM

Now that JT is back, will he still want to play some offense as well, maybe come in as a TE on occasion? If so, picture this goal line package:

WR - Brandon London (6'4)
WR - Patrick Turner (6'5)
TE - Joey Haynos (6'8)
TE - Anthony Fasano (6'4)
TE - Jason Taylor (6'5)

Now tell me there isn't going to be a mismatch somewhere. Now I know what you're thinking... "5 guys running routes as WR or TE? That means a empty backfield, who the hell is crazy enough to go empty backfield on goal line plays?"

I say, the team that has Ronnie Brown - or better yet, Pat White - lined up as a QB in this formation. Now you have great mismatches against the DBs with all those big targets, and a major threat of a QB draw or just a naked bootleg and scramble. What does the "D" do now? Crowd the LOS to stop the run, and probably give up an easy TD pass, or drop extra gusy into coverage and give up an easy RB/PW TD run?

Of course it wouldn't have to be JT to make this work, David Martin is a nice goal line target as well at TE. But if you want to put all the tallest guys out there who can just go up and over the smaller DBs, JT would be a nice addition to that package.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here's a crazy thought...
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: May 14, 2009 06:04AM

This coaching staff has already demonstrated that they're not afraid of getting creative. I like the idea. I wonder if both London and Turner will make the roster, but that's a lot of size.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 14, 2009 06:09AM

Just tell pennington to throw an alley opps and let them go get it. Thats would be the biggest receiving corps in the NFL.

Date: May 14, 2009 06:47AM

Hey doctor feelgood, you forgot david martin. He is 6'4 as well and made a few acrobatic catches last year. I was impressed. Hopefully he continues developing.

The year before last i looked like martin couldnt do anything right. dropping passes etc. Last year he was a totally different player. Thank God for pennington.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 14, 2009 09:53AM

Dr. F,

You are exactly right! It is a crazy thought.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 14, 2009 04:38PM

JT has done it before, and as was said, this coaching staff will get creative.

My thought is, if you have a goal line situation and you put those 5 as WR's, there isn't a team in the NFL with 3 guys who can cover 6'4". There will be 2 guys covered by LB's or by short DB's.

If they go short DB....uh...there's the target. If they slide bigger LB's outside and fill the middle with DB's...then Pat White runs on the draw.

I would more likely go 4 Tall WR Ronnie & Pat in a goal line/ short red zone situation.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: May 14, 2009 06:55PM

JT is an old man who broke down just playing defense last year. He isn't playing both-ways. He won't even be a starter on defense. He's a situational pass rusher who is insurance for Wake. No way do we use him on offense

Date: May 14, 2009 08:23PM

I am not a betting man but I would definitely bet on JT having a great year. My prediction....

The plan starts out to use JT as a situational player until he proves he is still the best player on the team. Last year was a fluke. He is not too old and has not suffered serious enough injuries throughout his career to take that big of a toll on him in one year.

He is reinvigorated after being a little burned out and disenchanted in 08 after too many disappointing seasons. Winners cannot handle losing!

He has vowed to be at OTA's and will benefit from a great strength and conditioning program in Miami.

Sporano soon learns that Taylor is much too valuable to be sitting on the bench. He is under a one year contract. What would they be saving him for?

Cameron Wake will flash potential but is still too raw to overtake the savvy vet this year. He has the physical skills and drive but not enough pass rush moves to dominate at this early stage.

JT played strong side DE last year (with multiple injuries) and was misused miserably. He does not have the bulk to play on the line in that scheme where he has to get tangled up. He will perform much better standing up, in space, on the strong side and will not have people at his feet.

Mark it down and feel free to re-post this thread around mid-season.

Some of you act like you have never seen this guy play and have forgotten how good he IS or like he just came over from the Patriots or something. Players like this don't come around very often and they don't go out like that. It aint over til it's over!

2000...Trace Armstrong (16.5) and Jason Taylor (14.5)...31 sacks
2009...Jason Taylor and Joey Porter...32 sacks

.....................................................................................

Date: May 15, 2009 06:24AM

Cam Wake is too raw?? He has been playing in the CFL for a couple years. It's not like he is a rookie

Date: May 15, 2009 07:18AM

You really have to look at this competition in the CFL. Remember Dan Goodspeed? He was signed as a free agent by the Dolphins back in 2004. He has failed to make the teams of Miami, SF, Jets, Bucs & Redskins.

He was voted to the CFL All Star team in 2008.

The other top tackle in the CFL is Jason Jimenez who has gone through the Packers & Raiders before going on to the CFL where he was an All Star in 2008.

One of the best receivers in the CFL is Ken Yon Rambo...remember him from Ohio State?

This is the best the CFL has to offer and you have to figure the rest of the tackles aren't even that good. So he could probably beat these guys with physical ability alone. It is going to take more than that to get by players at the NFL level.

The scouting report on him from college...

He seems to prefer taking the route of least resistance to the quarterback and does not have any pass rush moves of note. His long arms and strong hands allow him to stack and control tight ends at the point of attack, but he loses leverage, as he tends to get too high in his stance. He has the size to defeat offensive linemen off the snap, but just lacks proper technique.

Do you really think he learned enough technique after two years in the CFL to beat players in the NFL on a consistent basis?

Those tackles I mentioned are not even as good as what he would see on our practice squad.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 15, 2009 07:23AM

Hopefully Wake is closer to Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia than Goodspeed.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 15, 2009 08:41AM

he has not played LB in a 3-4 scheme. he did play LB in college, but in the CFL he never dropped into coverage, he was a traditional end.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 15, 2009 10:53AM

The guy is built and pretty darn agressive.

Date: May 15, 2009 11:20AM

all I need to know is about 7-10 NFL teams were fighting over Wake. They all can't be wrong

Date: May 15, 2009 12:47PM

because of potential...not necessarily because he can come in and light things up from day one. There are many teams fighting over undrafted free agents as well.

I am not saying he won't be good....just not right away. I hope he comes in and looks like Lawrence Taylor.

Date: May 15, 2009 03:28PM

they weren't offering undrafted rookie free agents the $$$$$$$$ they were offering Wake.

Please

Date: May 15, 2009 06:30PM

I'm with MikeO on this one. I think Wake is something special. If he doesn't start on defense this year, he'll definitely play during kicks and extra points. With the vertical he has, I predict 2 to 3 blocked FGs this coming year.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 03:45AM

Yes its a crazy thought but it might work after all.

Date: May 16, 2009 03:32PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they weren't offering undrafted rookie free agents
> the $$$$$$$$ they were offering Wake.
>
> Please

Bess has a 389k cap hit. Wake has a 560k cap hit. Not exactly breaking the bank.

I hear ya though...I like the kid and hope he tears it up!

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: May 16, 2009 06:19PM

Well, this is the same team that said "Hey, let's dust off a formation that hasn't been in regular use since the 1920's, run it, and for good measure we'll direct snap the ball to the RB out of that formation and see what happens."

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Date: May 16, 2009 06:38PM

Doctor Feelgood Wrote:
> Well, this is the same team that said "Hey, let's
> dust off a formation that hasn't been in regular
> use since the 1920's, run it, and for good measure
> we'll direct snap the ball to the RB out of that
> formation and see what happens."
>
Go back even further. This is the team of the intentional safety and the fake spike. The trifecta is just picking up where Shula left off.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 07:17PM

And the "Hook and Ladder"

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 07:20PM

AND,,, I believe,, the first team to convert a two pointer.

Date: May 17, 2009 03:31AM

montequi Wrote:
> Doctor Feelgood Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, this is the same team that said "Hey,
> let's
> > dust off a formation that hasn't been in
> regular
> > use since the 1920's, run it, and for good
> measure
> > we'll direct snap the ball to the RB out of
> that
> > formation and see what happens."
> >
> Go back even further. This is the team of the
> intentional safety and the fake spike. The
> trifecta is just picking up where Shula left off.

Thats music to my ears.

Date: May 17, 2009 04:25AM

and the 3-4 defense under Shula.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:47PM

Is it true they had JT as along snapper today in practice.?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.