HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Playoff Garbage/ Best Wishes
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Playoff Garbage/ Best Wishes
Posted by: PghStlrs86 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:55PM

I think you can guess who my team is.

I come in peace.

I think that it's a complete travesty that the Miami Dolphins have a remote chance of not getting into the playoffs when the Denver Broncos are sitting at the top of their horrible division with a playoff spot all but guaranteed, even with a lesser record. I'm sure this is something that has been discussed and I used the search to look for a similar topic but found nothing.

I wish you, Joey "The most feared man in the NFL" Porter, and Joey's horse killing dogs all the best.

and I have to say this: Go Steelers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Playoff Garbage/ Best Wishes
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 16, 2008 06:09PM

Likewise! I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt win another SB, but if we meet in the playoffs I sincerely hope the Steelers go down drinking smiley

suggested formula
Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 17, 2008 05:04AM

I agree, this division leader automatic slot needs some review.

I could see that if you play in a tough division like the AFC East once was, or the NFC East, that it is possible a good team would have a worse schedule than a team that plays in an easy division.

But as you pointed out Denver is an average team playing in a CRAP division.

They need to make up a divisional strength formula that would slide a division leader( Team A) OUT if:

Team A has 2 division rivals below .500 and team B has 2 division rivals above .500 And Team B has a better record.

I think that is fair? comments?

Re: suggested formula
Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 17, 2008 05:42AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, this division leader automatic slot needs
> some review.
>

I don't agree that the automatic berth for the div. winner should be changed. Win the division, go to the playoffs. It's not the winner's fault if the rest of the division sucks (as much as I can't stand Shanahan's dirty-playing Broncos). What if the Phins won the division but didn't get to the playoffs? We'd be apoplectic.

I think this sort of situation did become more common when we added the forth division in each conference... when every division has four teams instead of five (and there are more total divisions, there's more likelihood for this type of lopsidedness.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:14AM

I agree... I see no problem with the current system. In fact, I think it does one big thing that is a positive. It makes the divisional games all the more important. That makes those game more exciting to watch and the season more interesting.

Really, how intense is that last game of the season against the Jets gonna be, when it is likely gonna be for a divsion title and playoff spot?? Now, change things around where the loser is already in over a poor AFC West division leader... how much intensity is lost in that game??

The NFL tries to schedule divisional games at the end of the season for exactly this reason, and I completely agree with it. There are ups and downs in the level of competition and it is rare that these things happen... but I don't see it as a huge problem.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 17, 2008 07:02AM

I agree that the Broncos are lucky to be in a lousy division this year, but that is not their fault. They are surly lucky to be in the playoffs. If they are a bad team, they won't get far anyway.

If we do make the playoffs, we will have proven that we are worthy and a good match up in that first game.

Go Phins and pgastlrs86, thanks for the thoughts. Until we meet in the playoffs, good luck.

Re: suggested formula
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 07:34AM

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 10:02AM

I think it should be the best records who make the playoffs. The broncos are in and we might not even make it when we actually beat them at their own house.

Its not fair.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 17, 2008 10:11AM

Rmorc13 Wrote:
> I think it should be the best records who make the
> playoffs. The broncos are in and we might not even
> make it when we actually beat them at their own
> house.
>
> Its not fair.

Yes it is fair. They are the best in their division like it or not. We may or may not be the best. We will find out, but that is the reason for wild card teams anyway.

Posted by: fxxkthebills ()
Date: December 17, 2008 11:03AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with the playoff system. If you're a good team, ya got nothing to worry about.
Go phins.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 17, 2008 11:26AM

Rmorc13 Wrote:
> I think it should be the best records who make the
> playoffs. The broncos are in and we might not even
> make it when we actually beat them at their own
> house.
>
> Its not fair.

So the outcome of one game should take precedence over divisional standings for the entire season?

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 12:35PM

And yet, had we taken care of the Jets (or Patriots) when we played them, we wouldn't have anything to worry about.

If you win against the teams in your division... you are in, its pretty much that simple. Sure, there are other ways to go about it... but if you take care of business in the division, you are prety much set.

Like someone else said, if we are going purely by record, why even have the divisions?? Why even have conferences??

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 12:52PM

Totally agree with grooves. What's the point of having divisions and conferences, this aint the BCS baby.... you have to actually play and win to earn it, not a phantom computer LOL

This isn't the time to complain about records, just win baby and everything else will take care of itself.

I can't stand Cutler and the Broncos but to their defense, it's not their fault the rest of the division sucks or should I say in the Chargers case, bunch of underachievers. More power to the Broncos, I wish we were in their division LOL

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 01:43PM

WHATEVER actually WTFever.

Wait till you have to face your DOG PORTER in the PLAYOFFS. Thats right, the DOLPHINS are coming to TOWN!

Posted by: PghStlrs86 ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:44PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> WHATEVER actually WTFever.
>
> Wait till you have to face your DOG PORTER in the
> PLAYOFFS. Thats right, the DOLPHINS are coming to
> TOWN!

;-) I'll be watching, cupcake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.