HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Let’s get the FPBs on record
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let’s get the FPBs on record
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 08, 2011 10:03PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let’s get the FPBs on record
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: December 09, 2011 02:14AM

All I have on the subject is that if you fire him, you must have a better coach to replace him with otherwise you keep him.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 03:17AM

Chyren, you are exaggerating your point a bit arne't you? Everybody on that list suggested that "IF" the team finishes strong or wins the remaining games against all our division rivals, "THEN" keeping Sparano should be strongly considered. You can add me to that list also since such a turn-around would definitely indicate a positive "trend" in the right direction. The alternative would be yet another rebuild with alot of question marks. How has that worked out for us since Shula?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 09, 2011 04:53AM

Hooligan2 says it well. It’s all contingent and based on the current TREND, but somehow such nuance seems to evade certain minds. Oh well…

Like they say in Nebraska, different corn doesn’t always have better ears, and Tony deserves the opportunity to PROVE he’s turned the corner and has this team vectored in a positive arc.

One point to keep in mind…

This team has been constructed with a specific architecture and if we replace Sparano it would be wise to reload with someone who’s on-board with the spec we’ve used. If not, there could be a rather chaotic transition with a lot of roster retooling to fit the new philosophy. Which, IMO, is all the more reason to stick with the plan provided we see the desired results.

Go BIG! Go Large! Go Miami!

BNF.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: December 09, 2011 07:23AM

I have an idea, my city, Louisville Ky, used to have an NFL team. Well kind of sort of. They were really a practice team. When teams could not schedule a regular NFL team, they scheduled these practice teams.

Why not request from the NFL that the Miami Dolphins go the same route as the Louisville Brecks. Practice team!!!

We will be the team everyone thinks is really a team of winners then.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 09, 2011 07:41AM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Why not request from the NFL that the Miami
> Dolphins go the same route as the Louisville
> Brecks. Practice team!!!
>

The Brecks?

What the hell was their logo, a shampoo bottle?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 07:48AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hooligan2 says it well. It’s all contingent and
> based on the current TREND, but somehow such
> nuance seems to evade certain minds. Oh well…
>
> Like they say in Nebraska, different corn
> doesn’t always have better ears, and Tony
> deserves the opportunity to PROVE he’s turned
> the corner and has this team vectored in a
> positive arc.
>
> One point to keep in mind…
>
> This team has been constructed with a specific
> architecture and if we replace Sparano it would be
> wise to reload with someone who’s on-board with
> the spec we’ve used. If not, there could be a
> rather chaotic transition with a lot of roster
> retooling to fit the new philosophy. Which, IMO,
> is all the more reason to stick with the plan
> provided we see the desired results.
>
> Go BIG! Go Large! Go Miami!
>
> BNF.

I don't get you. I could have sworn you were being sarcastic with all this "project big" stuff when you first raised it awhile back, but now it seems like you are actually on board with it and want to keep it going? so which is it?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 09, 2011 07:51AM

Too funny.

And don't forget the Binghamton Blondes!

Most folks don’t realize Dolphins are mammals.

Date: December 09, 2011 08:27AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 11:47AM

Put me on the list, I believe keeping the staff intact will be more effective for the franchise then just choosing the unknown at this point.... I think you are foolish to just choose the unknown over the known..... That is notlogical, but emotional response... That fails, so I am surely not on the list of people that want that, can we please make a list of them as well, and I wll figure out my own name for them? i can be pretty creative when I want to be, it would be a fun challenge for me...

Date: December 09, 2011 11:55AM

Date: December 09, 2011 12:12PM

Thats a giant step in your path of critical thinkin Chyren to compare Tony Sparano to Custer at little big horn....really? that is your argument for choosing the unknown, Custer? Ok for fun, I will play, You could choose the Napolean or Hitler of the bunch and while being amazing military strategist they both still marched into russia in the winter, and utterly destroyed their powerhouse militaries that were built up......

CHyren I want a list of who is on the list, to choose anyone but what we have now? Then I will choose the name, lets be fair about this thing..... Big Bold text and everything...

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 09, 2011 01:05PM

If we win out the rest of the season then yes, maybe he should be brought back. The teams recent performance and the way they have shown heart, desire, and improvement, speaks more to talent and coaching than the first seven games, considering the off season issues, and injuries, JMO....so add me to the list too.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 09, 2011 02:02PM

I can't answer the question straight up, you should of put this as a poll and added some options; "Keep Sparano if"
1. They win out and go 8-8
2. 7-9
3. Can't get Fisher/Gruden/Cowher

I'm all for change Chyren, and i'm having a hard time keeping him with 3 losing seasons in a row (assuming they go 7-9) but I can't see the sense in firing Tony if all they can lure is a Norv Turner/Wade Philips type of retread (if Tony goes and Jeff stays, that's probably what we'll get). Put me down as maybe?

Date: December 09, 2011 04:29PM

Maybe means you haven't made up your mind, Dolphaholic so I can't put you down as a fist pump Boy. Same for you Ken.

Ha! Ha! Crowder, I don't understand your Hitler and Napoleon comments. They were fools because if they had left Russia the f_ck alone, they would have still been in power. But maybe that's your point. That even good people can make mistakes.

The reason those analogies are not applicable is because Sparano HAS BEEN A CONSISTENT LOSER and is now just having a win spell. If your point is that Sparano is like Napoleon or Hitler, then nobody on this board is going to agree that Sparano was like Don Shula in 1972 except that he lost the Superbowl to Washington.

Sparano is a loser who has had success when the reins were taken out of his hands.

Now to Custer. Custer's name is infamous in History for leading his troops into diaster. He saw a puff of dust on the horizon and assessed that it was several scores of indians retreating when it was several thousand attacking. Sitting Bull went through the entire 7th Cavalry without even breaking stride on their horses.

He was a complete idiot.

AND SO IS SPARANO.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 09, 2011 05:59PM

Hmm. Ken said "JMO....so add me to the list too."

You say..."no you haven't made up your mind."

By that logic......welcome to the FPB's!!!

Keep this in mind.

Changing to a new coach means a new rebuild...new system...2-3 year investment.

IF Sparano and the boys finish 7-9, 8-8.....then keeping Tony is a 1 year at a time investment.

What is the bigger risk...dumping a coach that found a way to get THIS roster to beat the Pats, Jets and Bills for an unknown with a 2-3 year rebuild? Or Keep said guy and give him another year and give him a chance to show if he's just matured into the Head Coach he looks like right now?

Seems like an easy one to me.

Date: December 09, 2011 06:24PM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 09, 2011 09:19PM

For now, I'm with Twilley re: having someone better if you fire him. That's where it gets most complex for me. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that an unknown quantity would be better than Tony circa week 8 till now. That's probably the multi-million dollar question...has he really changed into a coach who can win consistently and when it matters?

The way I'm leaning right now is that he has figured out how to get out of the way for the most part and that he has good players (who showed up woefully out of shape, especially on the defensive side) and good assistant coaches. The end of the Dallas game was a pretty good indicator of this, IMO. When the game hinged on either (1) Dallas missing a pretty short FG or (2) letting them score and leaving about 1:30 and 2 timeouts to work with on offense down by 5, Tony chose the one that probably had the worse odds of success. Beyond that, in these past 5 games, he has seemingly just let the players play and the coaches coach. There haven't been a lot of opportunities for him to either add or subtract value with game-time decisions.

I guess that's a long way of saying "put me in the undecided group". I want more evidence.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 10, 2011 04:27AM

Sign me up.

-Chyren B
If this petition should actually pass and we receive enough signatures, I will make sure to mention to the newsreporters that you deserve full credit for the project. No need to thank me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 05:11AM by sleekdogg.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: December 10, 2011 05:49AM

Add my name to the intelligent Dolphins fan list...

Two fist pumps for Coach Sparano.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 10, 2011 05:58AM

Date: December 10, 2011 08:52AM

What I find humorous about this whole thing on Chyren's part to call us out, it is really a fruitless act on his part... Chyren will put himself into a no win situation, meaning he will lose... I always thought the most important thing for an attorney to not do, is ask a question they dont know the answer to.... Well I think Chyren has stepped in this one largely...
Lets walk down the road,so others can better understand... Ok, first off lets take the course that Tony is fired and he is replaced by whoever Chyrens wet dream of a coach might be... So that coach has to change all of the philosophy and personel to fit his plan... SO if this coach loses 4 straight, or doesnt finish a 11-5 and win the AFC East in year 1. TS out did him not to mention TS took over a 1-15 team something a new regime would not have to do, The guy is still behind Sparano no matter what after year 1.. Then the guy has to have winning record over 3 or 4 years.... Cowher took 15 to win a SUperbowl... Gruden won 1 in his lifetime and has a just over .500 record... Fisher won one in his lifetime and is just over .500 also... Nothing but retreads that will do no better nor accomplish what Chyren wants in the time manner which he gave to TS... So, it is truly a losing position and argument to have, even if you know the coach, which we do not.... SO he is supporting an argument he doesnt remotely know the people involved let alone, the answer of their success... Yet he wants to create a thread of people names in Bold who are against his position and then label them all... THis actually reminds me of Hitler tactics political tactics... but to each his own... Here I am with a large label on my back whatever it might be about..lol cheers..

Date: December 10, 2011 09:04AM

Date: December 10, 2011 09:27AM

Yes, I had my postion since the game we won, and it seems that alot of what i predicted actually has happened.....hmmmmm, what do you know...
So my position has gained some legs, such is life... But as I said, this line in the sand you want with the FPB"S you cant win, and whether we get a new coach or not, I support the coach of this team... SO if Tony is fired, and we hire a new coach, it really isnt a positive thing for me to point out all year, how he has failed to do what Sparano did in his first year, and then forever chasing that from behind, without a SUperbowl win... Just bad medicine my friend... In order for Tony to be out done, the next coach in his first years would have to have win ten more games then Tony does this year to equate to what TS did with this team... I just dont think that is gonna happen... Tony is a good coach he has handled alot of different coaching changes and personell, owner change, a lockout, and his worst years are 7 wins and you want to ditch him... What has Shanahagn done in Washington in 2 years and he would have been high up on the list of retreads you desire if not signed with washington..... How about I ask this question, how many coaches have been able to retire to broadcasting for multiple years and come back out and be successful and win their new team a championship.... None?

Date: December 10, 2011 10:12AM

Chyren I think you can also add Dolphin4545 to the FPBS list from the original post

Date: December 10, 2011 10:56AM

Date: December 10, 2011 11:13AM

Sparano took and 1-15 team and improved that in one year plus ten games to 11-5.
That means if there is a new coach, he doesnt have to win ten games in a row, he has to improve on the previous coaches record by plus ten in games won as Sparano accomplished in his first year to even come close to what Sparano accomplished, also place second in Coach of the year.... Shouldnt be to tough ot accomplish if Sparano is such a putz and needs to go as you say...anyone can do it I am sure....lol...Comprende?

Date: December 10, 2011 11:16AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 01:40PM

I am in favor of dumping sporano if we can get someone better. however I have my doubts we could. would we rather have the OC for the packers or saints (who doesn't call plays) and lose nolan and daboll? frankly I am not sure that is an upgrade.
but I think this is moot---sporano is gone b/c ross wants to sell tickets and another year of him will depress the fanbase.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 10, 2011 01:45PM

Here is the problem.

Sparano/Ireland HAVE improved this team vs the one Parcells was making ALL of the decisions for. We have better personnel now vs then, and we have an offensive system that works, even against the better teams in the league...positives #1 and #2.

We have a quarterback now that is actually out playing around half of the leagues franchise players...positive #3.

We have a very dynamic tandem of running backs, Thomas is just now finding his stide and should only get better, Bush is having a career year and proving us all wrong about him...positive #4.

We have a good defense...positive #5.

We have two of the best kickers in the league...positive #6.

We have a good and improving offensive line...positive #7.

We have a very good defensive line...positive #8.

We have good assistant coaches...poistive #9.

We have a team that has not given up, despite some very tough circumstances...positive #10.

We have a team that is displaying a great deal of heart...positive #11.

We have a team that is becoming resiliant and is learning the hard way due the early season struggles what it takes to improve, stay in shape, and win close games...positive #12.

We have a team thats starting to really get it done in the red zone...positive #13.

We have a team that is learning, again the hard way that phisicality of play is more than a group of words coaches say...positive #14.

We have a team that is learning under fire that the sum of the parts is more than the parts themselves...positive #15.

And lastly, we have a team thats finally gelling together which should go a long way toward making it more effective...positive #16.

Sparano has "seemingly" learned a thing or two about coaching this season...and he's done a much a better job over the past six weeks. He's also not lost the locker room, remains passionate, energetic, and is letting his assistants do their jobs to good effect.

We have a team that is showing real promise...for the third time since 1996. If Sparano and co. can continue to rally and finish the season strong...He deserves another year. Whether or not he'll get it or not is up to Ross.

This is really a great group of positives for a team to have...we are really only lacking three to four players, at this point. Problem though, is it can take one off season to find them, or it may never happen...luck will be required just as much as skill, preparation, coaching, and talent.

The problem with replacing Sparano is you have to be 100% positive the new guy is immediately better, he will have to make small changes which reap huge...and immeidiate results. He must also be able to immediately capture the hearts and minds of the locker room with total buy in. A re-build of the team is ill advised at this point and will only result in more average to poor seasons. The new coach would be stuck with most of the roster, even if it's not close to what he wants...never a good situation.

Teams that constantly change coaches and philosophies, like we have been doing...are ALWAYS the worst teams. We may be finally digging out of our hole...not sure its the time to jump into a new one.

To Sparano or not to Sparano, that is the question. A lot more will be known about the answer over the next few short weeks.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.