Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Roster Cuts
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 01, 2011 06:43PM

It is looking like there will be some tough cuts to be made as I don't think miami has had this much depths in many, many years. WR, DL, and secondary are crowded. Also, OL is crowded but with mediocre players.

This is my projection of the 53 man roster.

QB- 3- Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Pat Devlin

Devlin offers youth but honestly I don't really care who the 3rd QB is.

RB/FB- 5- Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas, Lex Hilliard, Larry Johnson, Lousake Polite

I would rather just part ways with Lousaka but it is looking like he will make the roster. Also, I am including Clay with the TE to make more room on the roster.

WR- 5(or 6)- Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Clyde Gates, Roberto Wallace

Moore may be kept but it is tough to keep 6 wide outs. Moore is probably the last man out of the 53.

TE- 3- Anthony Fasano, Charles Clay, Jerud Mastrud

I honestly have no idea who they will keep as the 3rd TE but Mastrud had a touchdown catch against Dallas so I chose him.

OL- 8(or 9)- Jake Long, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, Vernon Carey, Marc Colombo, Lydon Murtha, Ray Willis, Nate Garner

This is very tough. Joe Berger or Rey Fienga may make it but Berger is owed a lot for a backup and Fienga could probably be stashed on the PS. Someone else might be added on the waiver wire to bring it to 9. Probably should have 9 but I couldn't find anyone the defense I would feel comfortable cutting except Baker. But I like Baker so there.

DL- 8(or 9)- Kendall Langford, Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Jared Odrick, Tony McDaniel, Phillip Merling, Ryan Baker

Fields probably won't make it since Baker, Starks, and McDaniel can also play NT in a pinch. Could also trade someone (Starks or Merling) to make room for someone him. Frank Kearse will probably make practice squad? I can't remember if anyone else might make it here?

OLB- 5- Cam Wake, Kao Misi, Jason Taylor, Jason Trusnik, Ikaiki Alama-Francis

I know that Spears had a nice game against Dallas but no room for him as these are all talented players.

ILB- 4- Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, A.J. Edds, Austin Spitler

Might be Marvin Mitchell instead of Spitler but I have not seen enough to make the call either way. Also, might look to waiver wire to get more talent at the 4.

CB- 5(or 6)- Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, Benny Sapp, Will Allen, Jimmy Wilson

Tough to cut Carroll but Will Allen has looked good recently and Jimmy is too valuable to put on the wire. Carroll has not looked much improved in camp and this is one of the tougher cuts to make. Could try to keep 6 but then they will have to make room somewhere else and I don't know where that would be.

S- 4- Yeremiah Bell, Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons, Tyrone Culver

Don't know much about newly signed Gerald Alexander but he might take Culver's spot since Culver is signed for 1.25 mil this season. Probably comes down to ST contributions as the 4th safey won't see the field much.

Special Teams- 3- K Dan Carpenter, P Brandon Fields, LS (I forget his name)

Offense total: 24

Defense total: 26

Total to 53- This is MUCH harder than I thought it would be. Lots of talent at CB, on the DL, and lots of questions on Offense makes it hard to cut players there.

Agree or disagree? anyone I left out that you think should make it? Lots of talent on the 53 and it is pretty easy to pick out the OL, S, TE depth, and RB depth as the biggest questions on the roster.

Also, the three players I wish there was room for are Nolan Carroll, Marlon Moore, and Joe Berger. By doing this, I think it is more likely that someone will be traded on the DL to make room for one of these players.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:07PM

QB (3)- Henne, Moore, O'Connell/Devlin, really hard to make the call on O'Connell or Devlin. O'Connell has experience in this system, but didn't throw a pass in the preseason (I think). Neither he nor Devlin got many chances.

RB (4)- Bush, Thomas, Johnson, Hilliard, with Hilliard also playing some FB

FB (1)- Clay, and he'll also serve as a TE

TE (2)- Fasano, Mastrud/Shuler. Mastrud is allegedly the better blocker, and Shuler is allegedly more well rounded.

WR (6)- Marshall, Hartline, Bess, Gates, Wallace, Moore.

OL (9)- Long, Incognito, Pouncey, Carey, Colombo, Murtha, Willis, Garner, Feinga. I don't think Berger's salary is an issue, I just think he gets squeezed out by the need to keep Murtha and Willis because Colombo is so bad and Murtha is dealing with an injury. The only thing I found on Berger's contract was that he makes $800k this year, which is barely above the vet minimum.

DL (7) - Starks, Solia, Langford, Odrick, Fields, McDaniel, Baker. Think Merling gets dealt in the next 2 days.

LB (9) - Wake, Dansby, Burnett, Misi, Taylor, Edds, Mitchell, Alama-Francis, Trusnik

CB (5) - Davis, Smith, Sapp, Allen, Wilson

S (4) - Bell, Jones, Clemons, Culver/Alexander. Can't make the call on Culver or Alexander. I do think Culver overplays at times, and is kept for his special teams ability and not for any potential at safety, so maybe Alexander could get that spot.

ST (3) - Denney, Carpenter, Fields

I think Merling could be traded. Maybe for a TE than can threaten the seam. Polite, Moore, Berger, and Willis to me are the bubble guys on offense. If Colombo was more of a sure bet, then I think Willis would get cut. But, now, I would keep Willis as veteran insurance. If they dumped Willis, then I think Berger makes it for his versatility. On defense, I think it's Fields, Spitler, Mitchell, Carroll, Allen, Culver, and Alexander as bubble guys. I think Fields only makes it if they trade Merling. I think Baker is a lock. Don't ask me why, I just do. Maybe because he can play any position, and he always seems to make plays when he's in there. I think they have a tough time cutting Carroll, but Will Allen is the better player right now. And his veteran leadership may help the younger guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:10PM

if we cut either moore or wallace we will regret it down the road for sure. they both are legit. keeping a total scrub TE over them (basically anyone not fasano) would be a damn shame. can't we have clay as the backup TE and cut the non-fasano TEs? I get that if Fasano gets hurt we'd be in trouble but I am sure we could fine a micky shuler/mastrud kind of TE midseason off the waiver wire if need be.
actually this is what I foresee happening....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:30PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if we cut either moore or wallace we will regret
> it down the road for sure. they both are legit.
> keeping a total scrub TE over them (basically
> anyone not fasano) would be a damn shame. can't we
> have clay as the backup TE and cut the non-fasano
> TEs? I get that if Fasano gets hurt we'd be in
> trouble but I am sure we could fine a micky
> shuler/mastrud kind of TE midseason off the waiver
> wire if need be.
> actually this is what I foresee happening....


This regime has always kept at least 3 TE. And last year, we ended the season with 4 on the 53-man roster. It's kind of crazy, because the 3 not named Fasano combined for a total of 2 catches (both by Shuler). The problem with keeping Clay as the only backup TE is that he is not much of a blocker. This is a guy who Tulsa used as their wildcat QB. He was used to carry the ball and catch the ball, not to block. Having him as the only other TE may limit what you can do in short yardage situations. My gut is that they keep Clay as the h-back, and one other TE in addition to Fasano. And as I posted, I would not be surprised if that other TE comes in a trade for Merling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 01, 2011 07:42PM

dolfanmark, i like yours better. except i think polite is a roster lock cuz sporano has pretty much said that and he sat with the rest of the starters tonight.

why did you pick mitchell over spitler. not that i disagree just wondering if you saw something with mitchell. Also, I kinda want them to deal Merling but I just don't know if I see it happening. They would have to get a 3rd not a player unless they could get Martellus Bennet from Dallas. I really like him and he specializes in pass catching. Not many other #2 TE's worth it. Thus I think Fields doesnt make it. It's not like Fields would play much IMO. Also, I think if they keep Fienga on the 53 they will then pick up someone on the waiver wire and it will be much easier to stash Fienga on the practice squad.

Agree with berkeley, i would really like to keep moore and wallace but if they keep Polite its gonna be tough to do. Those backups TE's are so worthless that it does seem a shame to have to waste a roster spot on one of them. On a side note, GB is gushing with young TE's, I could see us scouring the waiver wire to grab one of them and let our lame duck backups all leave. Also, gotta look to the waiver wire to see if we can grab a RB worth anything.

Man I just wish they would let Polite go... that is seriously a wasted roster spot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 02, 2011 03:09AM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dolfanmark, i like yours better. except i think
> polite is a roster lock cuz sporano has pretty
> much said that and he sat with the rest of the
> starters tonight.
>
> why did you pick mitchell over spitler. not that
> i disagree just wondering if you saw something
> with mitchell. Also, I kinda want them to deal
> Merling but I just don't know if I see it
> happening. They would have to get a 3rd not a
> player unless they could get Martellus Bennet from
> Dallas. I really like him and he specializes in
> pass catching. Not many other #2 TE's worth it.
> Thus I think Fields doesnt make it. It's not like
> Fields would play much IMO. Also, I think if they
> keep Fienga on the 53 they will then pick up
> someone on the waiver wire and it will be much
> easier to stash Fienga on the practice squad.
>
> Agree with berkeley, i would really like to keep
> moore and wallace but if they keep Polite its
> gonna be tough to do. Those backups TE's are so
> worthless that it does seem a shame to have to
> waste a roster spot on one of them. On a side
> note, GB is gushing with young TE's, I could see
> us scouring the waiver wire to grab one of them
> and let our lame duck backups all leave. Also,
> gotta look to the waiver wire to see if we can
> grab a RB worth anything.
>
> Man I just wish they would let Polite go... that
> is seriously a wasted roster spot


Regardless of what Sparano has said, I'm not sure Polite is a lock. Daboll's offense doesn't utilize a pure FB much at all. He prefers a single back, one cut running attack, and likes the FB to be more of an h-back, pass catching threat. As much as they like Polite, it doesn't seem like there is much of a role for him here. After watching Hilliard do a terrific job blocking as the FB last night, I think Polite is more expendable than ever. They know what they have in Polite. Maybe they wanted to see Hilliard in that role, and that's why Polite sat last night. I think it boils down to a 6th WR or a 2nd FB.

I picked Mitchell over Spitler because he has been in the league for 4 years, and is more proven as a defensive player, and a good special teams guy. Last year, Mitchell had 43 tackles, a sack, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 passes defensed, and 2 stuffs. Heck, he's an upgrade over Channing Crowder in terms of productivity.

Bennett may miss the first 4 weeks with an injury, so I doubt he'd be their trade target.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2011 03:51AM

I would love to see a trade and swap merling for a RT and or a TE or even a Guard.

I am not as worried about TE as much as I am RT.

I'm not sure about OConnell. As much as I hate NE I have to believe they know QBs and they cut him.

Some teams only keeps 2 qbs (bucs etc)...and with new rule and 46 roster spots and no emergency qb exemption..we could do the same. That would allow us to keep our young and talented WRs or whoever.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 04:00AM by eesti.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 04:43AM

I know we need help at Qb but after QB comes the OL...


Hopefully we can sign a couple of players that some other teams let go because of salary cap reason that are an upgrade to the backups that we have.


Hopefully jake long can practice this week the entire week without any ill effects.....

We need him big time against NE on monday night.

IMO when and if he plays next week we are going to struggle some at the beginning of the game. JMO...Hopefully we can get it going by halftime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2011 05:05AM

Maybe...but Jake Longs struggling is still better that 95% of the LTs in the league.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 02, 2011 05:11AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe...but Jake Longs struggling is still better
> that 95% of the LTs in the league.

It's not about Long struggling, it's about the entire O-Line being in sync with Long in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2011 05:59AM

I might be concerned about that if NE had a pass rusher. Their Ends and OLBs are mediocre and the leading sacker is gone.

Seriously who scares you? Carter, Cunningham...and while not on the end...Haynesworth hasn't even made it on the field yet bc he is out of shape and hasn't picked up the scheme.

NE did alright in the sack category last year but they came from blitzes and was spread around to about 20 different players. Leading sacker was Banta Cain who is gone and Mike Wright...both had 6 sacks I believe.

If anything we should be more concerned about Columbo and Carey.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2011 07:05AM

On second thought we should be concerned on how our middle three lineman handle Wilfork and Haynseworth. I see he played a few snaps last night.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 07:27AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless of what Sparano has said, I'm not sure
> Polite is a lock. Daboll's offense doesn't utilize
> a pure FB much at all. He prefers a single back,
> one cut running attack, and likes the FB to be
> more of an h-back, pass catching threat. As much
> as they like Polite, it doesn't seem like there is
> much of a role for him here. After watching
> Hilliard do a terrific job blocking as the FB last
> night, I think Polite is more expendable than
> ever. They know what they have in Polite. Maybe
> they wanted to see Hilliard in that role, and
> that's why Polite sat last night. I think it boils
> down to a 6th WR or a 2nd FB.
>
> I picked Mitchell over Spitler because he has been
> in the league for 4 years, and is more proven as a
> defensive player, and a good special teams guy.
> Last year, Mitchell had 43 tackles, a sack, 2
> forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 passes
> defensed, and 2 stuffs. Heck, he's an upgrade over
> Channing Crowder in terms of productivity.
>
> Bennett may miss the first 4 weeks with an injury,
> so I doubt he'd be their trade target.

I hope your right and they let Polite go, I don't know how they justify keeping him. Didn't know that about Bennett, that sucks cuz he is quite talented especially for a number 2 TE. Guess they will have to look to the waiver. . .

More about the Merling trade, I'm not sure we could trade Merling for a G or T worth much more than we would find on the waiver wire. I would MUCH rather have a 3rd rounder than another body that will compete on the OL. If the player we would require is not going to be a quality starter from day one then it is not worth it. Also, it would be smart to wait a week or two into the season for some teams DL to get hit with injuries (it will definitely happen it always does) then we have better leverage and can get a more talented player or higher pick than right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:36AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe...but Jake Longs struggling is still better
> that 95% of the LTs in the league.

i meant as a whole.....The entire OL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 04:14PM

Merling to Seattle for Anthony Mccoy or Cameron Morrah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 01:11PM

here is the list so far

QB Kevin O’Connell
TE Dedrick Epps
S Gerald Alexander
S Mark Restelli
CB Will Allen
RB Larry Johnson
WR Phillip Livas
OL Garrett Chisolm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 01:28PM

the final roster cuts

CB Vincent Agnew
TE Brett Brackett
WR Patrick Carter
G Garrett Chisolm
QB Pat Devlin
TE Dedrick Epps
LB Jonathan Freeny
RB Nic Grigsby
T D.J. Jones
T Matt Kopa
WR Phillip Livas
WR John Matthews
CB Nate Ness
LB David Nixon
QB Kevin O’ Connell
WR Julius Pruitt
S Mark Restelli
LB Robert Rose
TE Mickey Shuler
LB Quinton Spears

Terminated Contracts
S Gerald Alexander
CB Will Allen
NT Ronald Fields
RB Larry Johnson
FB Lousaka Polite
T Ray Willis

Placed on Injured Reserve
T Lydon Murtha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 01:31PM

I am surpised they cut Devlin and and OConnell. So what we only have Moore and Henne. That means we are picking up somebody, no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 03, 2011 01:51PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am surpised they cut Devlin and and OConnell. So
> what we only have Moore and Henne. That means we
> are picking up somebody, no?


They could just put Devlin on the practice squad. If they got into an emergency situation for one game, Daniel Thomas and Charles Clay both took tons of snaps in college.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:08PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:10PM

With Ness being cut, I can't help but remember that we cut Jason Allen and picked up Ness. Now we have neither. Hopefully that won't hurt us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:13PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:22PM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With Ness being cut, I can't help but remember
> that we cut Jason Allen and picked up Ness. Now we
> have neither. Hopefully that won't hurt us.
>
>
> Certainly cutting Jason Allen didn't hurt us -
> Ness was better.
>
> Cutting Ness shows how strong our DB competition
> is. Nothing here to worry about.
>
> O-Line? A different story altogether.

Don't really agree with you on Ness > J Allen. JA was our best ST player and had been starting over Smith at CB earlier in the year. What did Ness do? Anyway, I agree 100% on the O-Line.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:27PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:30PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > With Ness being cut, I can't help but remember
> > that we cut Jason Allen and picked up Ness.
> Now
> > we have neither. Hopefully that won't hurt us.
>
>
> Who would you cut to add Allen?
>
> Allen sucked.

How quickly you guys forget the INTs by our starting CB last year (Jason Allen). He wasn't great, but he didn't suck.

> I'd still rather have Ness over
> him.

I STILL don't see how Ness was better than JA. Again, WHAT DID NESS DO FOR US???

> And I'd rather keep Wilson for a year or
> two to see what he turns into rather than keep
> Ness.

I agree here.

>
> Can't see how Allen has anything to do with the 5
> guys we kept being better or more valuable than
> the guy we replaced Allen with.

Allen was our top ST player. Some teams reserve a roster spot just for that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:45PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 03:04PM

First off, Jason Allen was going to be a FA, and we had no plans on resigning him, so halfway through the season we brought up Ness from our practice squad, becasue if you remember last year he was on fire during preseason and many were upset he cut from last years 53. When we knew we werent going to resign Jason Allen, we cut him and tried to give Nat Ness a chance from the practice squad since he was bubble player..

Now on who would you cut to add Will Allen, I would cut Mitchell one of the ten LB's currently on the roster

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 03:19PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 03:48PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Actually I don't think that's quite how it went
> down. As I remember it:
>
> Ness flashed in pre-season but we cut him,
> expecting to be able to sign him to our practice
> squad.
>
> Seattle (i beleive) picked him up and the front
> office was reportedly pissed that their plan got
> blown up.
>
> Later in the season Ness got waived and Ireland
> decided not to let him get away again so he cut
> Allen to free up a roster space for him.


Same difference, although I thought or percieved we had resigned Ness to our practice squad after Seatle released him, before signing him. either way Jason Allen was cut mid season becasue there was no plan to resign him, so he was a progress stopper to a certain degree that is why he was cut...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roster Cuts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 03, 2011 04:10PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First off, Jason Allen was going to be a FA, and
> we had no plans on resigning him, so halfway
> through the season we brought up Ness from our
> practice squad, becasue if you remember last year
> he was on fire during preseason and many were
> upset he cut from last years 53. When we knew we
> werent going to resign Jason Allen, we cut him and
> tried to give Nat Ness a chance from the practice
> squad since he was bubble player..
>
> Now on who would you cut to add Will Allen, I
> would cut Mitchell one of the ten LB's currently
> on the roster


Jason Allen was cut when we signed Al Harris. Nate Ness replaced Evan Oglesby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.