HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          No competition at QB? Sparano should reconsider
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
No competition at QB? Sparano should reconsider
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 18, 2011 02:28AM

Think back 2 years ago. What if Sparano had written off Soliai back then and declared Starks the starter at NT last year? Sure, Odrick got hurt, but if Sparano would have stuck to his guns we would have kept Starks at NT and put someone else at DE. Now the major question mark from a couple years ago is resolved!! That's what happens when the position is open to competition.

Sparano should think about that rather than writing off Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No competition at QB? Sparano should reconsider
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 18, 2011 02:47AM

I dont think he is necessarily writing off Moore.

I think he may be trying to show confidence in his starting QB. Lets just be real here, if the coaches, players, and other staff members dont have his back, then nobody does.

We know the fans dont.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 04:41AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 18, 2011 05:52AM

I don't see it as writing him off either. He wants to get a real look at Henne in the new offense. Most likely why Dabol got hired in the first place. The 3rd game will be the key factor ...as well as Fridays game to see how each player does.

One game is not gonna tell much. 3rd game will let them evaluate qb after installing somewhat of a game plan...as opposed to just a glorified scrimmage as last week was...

He never said Moore was never going to get a shot this year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 18, 2011 05:56AM

Date: August 18, 2011 06:00AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He never said Moore was never going to get a shot
> this year.

Sparano has refused to give Moore any snaps with the first team offense. NONE. Not ONE! He's, essentially, not giving Moore a chance to prove himself. This next game will really show where Sparano stands. If Henne stinks and Moore does well, then Sparano better allow Moore to play with the first team, or else my point will be proven.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 18, 2011 08:23AM

Like I said in a different thread, it’s quite possible Sparano has some concerns about Moore’s game – and isn’t going to risk the consequences of a “publicly declared open competition” when he doesn’t have to yet. This certainly does NOT preclude the fact of an actual “competition” in Sparano’s mind. That and of course pizza.

In addition there’s really nothing to “win” by putting Moore too much in the spot light right now. Let the kid win the job day in and day out – and give him some room to run with the starters in order to build cohesiveness. But go into week 1 with Henne as the declared starter then insert Moore right before kickoff. That element of “surprise” might hinder Billygoats diabolical plans to cheat and pilfer as often as he can…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 08:24AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 08:39AM

Date: August 18, 2011 08:40AM

Are you suggesting Sparano made his comments about the QB controversy with a nod-nod-wink-wink at Moore? That's quite subtle for someone like Sparano. If it was Saban, that would be different, but Sparano hasn't worked that way in the past.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 09:41AM

I think Sporano is serious when he said there is no qb controversy. I also think he is serious when he says Colombo is our starting RT. Scary stuff.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: August 18, 2011 06:59PM

Agreed, it reminds me of Wanny and Fiedler. Fiedler got ALL the 1st team snaps, the next guy would get the 2nd team, and a couple guys didn't even run our offense. They exclusively ran the scout offense.

I think Tony is afraid to have a QB controversy so early in the season without a 'proven veteran' causing the controversy.

If we had traded for Orton, Palmer, or signed Vince Young then I suspect he would have split the reps with the starters.

Let's not forget that Moore was not valued as a long term answer by 2 teams.

This is Chad Henne's last 'solid' shot at establishing himself as a real starter. I would love to see him pull a Drew Brees...but this is it. If he doesn't do it this year...Tony is gone and Chad becomes a back-up somewhere waiting for a shot.

This is also Tony's last shot at keeping his job.

Moore is still learning the playbook, and getting to know the guys. IN fact giving him reps with the starters too soon could give a false negative.

So giving Chad the starter reps right now gives Chad the confidence to put his best foot forward, and allows Moore to learn the offense. If Henne doesn't make the most of this preferential treatment...then Moore would get some 1st team reps...and would do a better job than he would have earlier.

On the other hand...cynically...Tony might want to keep Chad Henne on the field longer than the opposition's starters so he can score on 2nd stringers and only letting Moore play against the other team's 2nd and 3rd stringers so Henne is the 'winner' or the competition.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 19, 2011 08:43AM

Yeah, realist, and maybe Henne sucking in some way is a last hold card for the coach and all of the incompetence going all the way up to the owners as a way of saying, as the last ditch, "Hey, we were not incompetent, it was this kid screwing up everything all along."

Were there to be a competent quarterback, then they would not have any excuse for the team sucking.

In an odd kind of way, what I'm saying is that they like having a more obvious target than themselves......in other words, Henne is a scapegoat.

He may correctly be a goat due to his poor play but he is being kept as a scapegoat.

Date: August 19, 2011 09:34AM

Doesn't matter if you have Tom Brady as your Starting QB. You have someone on your rosster thats getting in done, better , more efienctly , you have to always let the best man win. No matter how you feel about Chad henne , No matter what he has done, You have to start the best players on Sunday. To say thats not going to happen , or we'll see, is completely deflating for the rest of the team. Why should anyone give 100% then?

happened to me at work as well. When I saw others who did far less getting promoted because of who they knew and not what they know, do you think that motivated meto be all i can be? If Chad Henne fails again tonight , it will effect the entire team the longer he stays in.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 19, 2011 12:24PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He never said Moore was never going to get a
> shot
> > this year.
>
> Sparano has refused to give Moore any snaps with
> the first team offense. NONE. Not ONE! He's,
> essentially, not giving Moore a chance to prove
> himself. This next game will really show where
> Sparano stands. If Henne stinks and Moore does
> well, then Sparano better allow Moore to play with
> the first team, or else my point will be proven.

I agree with you completely. I am just saying its too soon to tell YET....what his intentions are...

I believe TS said we normally have 24 practices before the first ps game in a normal year.

We have only had 10 this year so it may be too soon to get an accurate assessment of players in the new offense.

If Moore doesn't get first team snaps...after performing well tonight then your point is more valid...assuming Henne struggles.

The starter should have first team reps by the 3rd game to be able to start the season. He needs that 3rd game to get ready for the season otherwise he just plays against backups in the 4th game.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.