HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          HOF should be ashamed for voting in Deion Sanders
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HOF should be ashamed for voting in Deion Sanders
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 06, 2011 10:18PM

Admittedly, he was a good cover corner. And a good return man. But all this doesn't outweigh the the fact that he was TERRIBLE at one of the cornerstones of the game-tackling. I remember being ambivalent about his skills, but then I watched a game in which he deliberately sidestepped a tackle. I had never seen that before, and I was appalled. After that game, I saw him do it several more times, and I could never understand a coach that would accept that from one of his players. Football players may have many jobs, but they have to be able to run, catch, block and tackle in order to be football players-this man couldn't-and worse, wouldn't-do one of the three things necessary to perform his job. This fact-and it IS a fact, watch the films-should have precluded him from being considered one of the preeminent players at his position to have ever played the game. The other players at this position in the HOF were known as excellent tacklers- Sanders admittance into this select group diminishes the group as a whole in my opinion.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOF should be ashamed for voting in Deion Sanders
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 07, 2011 03:09AM

He was terrible at tackling. But, he also changed games every week, just out of fear of him. Teams wouldn't throw his way, teams wouldn't kick to him. He had a major impact on every game. He's 19th all time in INT, 2nd all time in INT return yards, 2nd in INT TD returns, and 8th all time in punt return TDs. And he's one of two players in history to score a TD in 6 different ways. He also won a Defensive Player of the Year Award. Pretty tough to keep him out of the HOF.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 03:53AM

Ashamed to vote Deion Sanders into the HOF? Are you serious? THe guy was the only shutdown corner in the history of the game. The guy was a defensive and ST players and he has 22 Touchdowns... The man has 53 interceptions, and Qb's rarely threw his direction, so the stat is even more impressive, with that fact considered. In todays game, every cornerback and returner in one way or another emulates the guy.. Highstepping, hands out....
THen you add into the game his personality and what he brought as far as that goes, he changed the way players act or talk, and confidence they display...

If Deion doesnt deserve the HOF, because he didnt like to tackle, like others, is BS. The guy is without a doubt one of the best to ever play the position of cornerback or returner. You can not tell the story of the NFL without including Deion... The mans not only deserves to be in the hall, he is probably one of the most electrifying players in the HOF.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 04:21AM

I've resorted to name-calling you're INTELLECTUALLY CHALLENGED!!!

DEION was one of the most entertaining professional athletes of ALL-TIME! Absolutely electric in the return game. An outstanding cover corner, who forced plays away from his side of the field,

and would've made a hell-of-a DOLPHIN!

Date: August 07, 2011 04:39AM

He deserves it for one reason alone........everywhere he went , The teams WON. Period. Like someone said above, he is the Poster child for Playmaker.

Congrats "D".

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 05:27AM

that's like saying marino shouldn't be in there bc he was a terrible runner

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 06:08AM

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: August 07, 2011 09:20AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 07, 2011 12:26PM

I've been one to point out Deion's fear of contact, thus making him an incomplete cornerback, right here on this board in the past.

However I don't have much of a problem with him being inducted, because of what was said above--there's no requirement that one be "complete" at their position. There's no doubt he was a threat on any pass play or kick to his direction.

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: August 07, 2011 01:27PM

well i'll say this...being the cowboys are my"other" team i still was never much of a deion fan and actually harted when the boys got him from san fran...but i still remember the 1st round playoff game they got knocked out by arizona in a humilating fashion..the whole team looked flat and one of arizonas rb broke off liek a 90 yd run..deion was the one that ran him down inside the 10..the rest of the d just wandered down field listless and even after deion made the takle you could see he was pissed..gained a bit of respect for him on that dismal day..still think he is a bit of a clown but the guy wasa competitor who brought it and someone uyou want on your team not just for his skill level but compativeness...imo he easily deserves hof

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 07, 2011 05:03PM

If Deion doesnt deserve to be in the Hall, then the Hall should be empty.

Dude is a top 2 or 3 player in his position, which is one of the top 2 or 3 most important positions on a football team.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 07, 2011 08:34PM

Deion deserved to be inducted into the hall based on his play...even though he was not the best or most complete corner around.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 08, 2011 10:40AM

i remember seeing Sanders as a freshman at fsu he had HoF written all over him. I have strong dislike of him but he is the greateset cb to ever play the game. To the folks who sayed he was a weak tackler compare the stats.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 08, 2011 10:49AM

I never ever thought i was ever going to see a football player outrun a football until i saw deion sanders. Greatest cb recovering speed of alltime.

He deserves to be in the hall of fame.

They named him prime time for a reason. If you are a football player and you get the "prime time" nickname because of your play you are going to be in the hall of fame.

He was they type of player that could change a game all by himself.

His character might be undesirable but he is a hall of famer.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 08, 2011 11:18AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To the folks who sayed he was a
> weak tackler compare the stats.

How does one do that? They only compiled tackling statistics during his last couple years, to my knowledge.

Date: August 08, 2011 12:33PM

I heard his speech sucked though..........

Date: August 10, 2011 08:34AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:00AM

Dolphan4545 they diddnt name players such as fiedler or (insert your sucky player name here) primetime did they? I didnt think so.

That his personality is crappy is another thing.

Deion sanders is primetime. Or was.

I wish we had a couple of players like him playing for the phins.

Date: August 10, 2011 09:19AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:24AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gentlemen, this the Pro Football Hall of Fame
> we're talking about! The best of the best! An
> admittedly "incomplete" player makes it in?

RESPONSE: Do you know what position Babe Ruth played?

..............................Pitcher.

Date: August 10, 2011 09:30AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:31AM

Stats for you Sanders vs Asomugha

Tackles
Deion Sanders 492
Asomugha 271

Forced fumbles
Deion 10
Aso 2

Interceptions
Deion 53
Aso 11

Punt and kick returns
Deion 367
Aso 1

TDs scored
Deion 22
Aso 1

and for those people who say he does not belong in the HoF name one big game or regular season game where his lack of tackling caused his team to lose.

Date: August 10, 2011 11:46AM

3) Should RB's Jim Brown or Jerome Bettis be disqualified from the hall of fame because they weren't great receivers (they averaged less catches per season than Deion did tackles)???

No way. These guys were drafted to RUN the ball, an did so at a high level. In Brown's day, RB's weren't expected to catch the ball very much, and it would have been a waste to get Bettis in space-he didn't have the speed, and he was superb between the tackles.

An apples-amd-oranges comparison.

Rick

Date: August 10, 2011 11:48AM

... and outfield.

Rick

Date: August 10, 2011 12:05PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 12:21PM

this entire thread is ridiculous. Dion is a clear HOF, he was the best at his position for as long as he played it (great special teamer too), and one of the best ever.

Date: August 10, 2011 12:53PM

> > dolphan4545 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Gentlemen, this the Pro Football Hall of Fame
> > > we're talking about! The best of the best! An
> > > admittedly "incomplete" player makes it in?
> >
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> > RESPONSE: Do you know what position Babe Ruth
> > played?
> >
> > ..............................Pitcher.
>
> Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------> -----

> ummm...AND Right Field?

RESPONSE: Yeah, but he broke into the league as a Pitcher.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 10, 2011 01:16PM

He made up for shortcomings tackling with play making ability BY FAR.

I remember a time he scored every time he got his hands on the ball....at CB and returner.

One of the best all time play makers and shut down corners. He didn't have to tackle if they threw away from him or he defended the pass or intercepted it...

And I never liked him BTW.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:44PM

It's called a "business decision". Players like Deion are worth too much to risk injury making a tackle on a physically punishing ball-carrier that the guy next him can make. Often times it's a calculated risk. It involves deciding between sacrificing your body or sacrificing a stop. He often chose to sacrifice the benefit of tackling a guy in order to reduce the chances of getting hurt, so as to stay healthy in order to benefit the team by ensuring that he would be out there to keep shutting receivers down, cause turnovers, rack up huge punt returns, and score touchdowns.

To say that he doesn't belong in the HOF because he didn't do a lot of tackling, when he was perhaps the best cover corner in the history of the NFL is ludicrous. To suggest otherwise really brings into question one's understanding of football. He was by far the most dynamic, electric, and dangerous player on every single team that he played on. I mean, you even went as far as to say that the HOF should be "ASHAMED" to induct him! Get real. Not only is he the definition of first-ballot HOF material, but he is hands down in the upper echelon of players, the best of the best among the "greats" who adorn the Hall of Fame.

Date: August 10, 2011 04:55PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.