HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Apparently Clyde "Edmund" Gates is really impressing so far
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Apparently Clyde "Edmund" Gates is really impressing so far
Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: August 05, 2011 02:36PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apparently Clyde "Edmund" Gates is really impressing so far
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 05, 2011 04:04PM

hopefully he's a Mike Wallace type deep threat

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 06, 2011 05:01AM

We really, really need him to be a star.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 06, 2011 05:22AM

He is really really fast, Sean Smith said that, "if he gets on top of you it is to late, he has already got ya"..
The question with him, is learning the offenses better, and catching the ball...

He will spread the defense out, with Speed deep like that, and then Reggie Bush, it is gonna open up the field tremendously for our offense. You have to account for Bush catching the ball on a screen, and Gates going deep and Marshall across the middle... It is gonna make the opposing defense commit to somebody while they are all spread way apart on the field, which will put everyone else into single coverage. If you only have 1 guy covering a speed demon, you win, you only have one guy covering Reggie Bush, you win, and if you have one guy covering Marshall you win. Same with Bess. I like what they are trying to do with this offense, I just hope they pull it off

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 06, 2011 05:26AM

As long as our O-Line can pass block long enough for those guys to get open, and Henne can make the correct read, then we'll have a much better passing game!! I'm cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 06, 2011 05:36AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We really, really need him to be a star

I think the 3 Offensive (skill position) rookies are the key to this season, if we can get at least 2 of em (I'm hoping all 3) to pan out we'll have a pretty good team this year. Throw in Pouncey and our teams success is really hinging on 4 rookies, lets hope Jeff did his homework.

Date: August 06, 2011 05:37AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 06, 2011 05:40AM

gates is making the roster. he won't last on the practice squad and you don't draft a guy that high and cut him unless he really proves he cannot play, and by all accounts he's very raw but has amazing athletic ability so you can't expect him to be perfect right off the bat. no way are we cutting him, and he's making plays in practice from what it sounds like. the comment is just sporano trying to motivate gates, or just being an idiot, I'll go with the former, this time

Date: August 06, 2011 05:49AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Apparently Saprano sees Wallace as the the Odds on
> favorite over Gates:

> Wallace favorite for final WR spot
>
> Even though Clyde Gates’ speed makes him the
> fastest Dolphin, the rookie is no shoe-in to make
> the game day roster.
>
> According to Sparano, Roberto Wallace remains the
> receiver to beat for what’s usually the final
> game day roster spot, keeping the role he held
> most of 2010 because of his special teams
> contributions.
>
> “I consider the odds on favorite,” Sparano
> said.

Treasure I suggest you listen to the press conference yourself, when he was refering to Roberto Wallace, he was refering to the #4 spot, and the 260 snaps Roberto Wallace got last year. He wasnt refering to the final WR receiving spot on the roster. He is talking about someone unseating Wallace for those snaps... In any sense they will prbably keep at least 5 if not 6 WR. Justifying that becasue Gates will most likely be considered a ST returner as well.
I got any amount of money you want to take the bet Gates makes the 53, assuming otherwise or insinuating otherwise was just bad jounralism on behalf of the sunsentinel...

Date: August 06, 2011 05:54AM

Date: August 06, 2011 05:54AM

Sorry guys but Omars reporting has become attrocious this offseason.... I watched PC, first the Brett Farve lies he started and now this crap...Omar you are on the last leg, shortly you go in to the armando category of not worth reading... And since I am diehard that takes alot... But I hate bad, either lazy, or projecting your own beliefs into reporting...

Date: August 06, 2011 06:06AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 06, 2011 06:19AM

OK he is good now lets hope henne can deliver the ball in stride.

Date: August 06, 2011 06:19AM

the reference in the quote above was to the "game day roster." I guess they are saying he's be one of the inactive players, but not on the practice squad? either way gates should be active since he brings a different dimension to the WR group

Marshall
Hartine
Bess

Wallace
Moore
Gates

if we have 5 active I say they were the top 3 and then Gates and 1 of Moore or Wallace

Date: August 06, 2011 06:35AM

The question was about Roberto Wallace and Omar Kelly used it to write about Gates. Listen to the Press conference. It is not about game day rosters or inactive players the questions is in rference to whether 3or 4 other guys wants some of those snaps Roberto gets, and whether or not or how many they will get from him.

Gate's is beating people left and right, his problem has been he has alot to learn and catching the ball. It is hard for a guy to come from division 2 ball, with a 15 page playbook and digest one that is 3 thousand pages in a week. Let alone do it in a lockout offseaon.
Sparano says Gates has to start finishing plays, we know he can beat guys, but I belive he has dropped a few. Sparano says I know once gates gets some more time he will be finishing those plays for us, not just getting on top of guys everyplay...

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 06, 2011 06:36AM

Date: August 06, 2011 06:59AM

Wallace was ok last year, but he didn't break into the starting lineup, so I'm not convinced he's better than Gates. Gates is raw but has TONS of potential. As for Sparano's comments, he has a habit of making up his mind early...like stating Henne was our starter last year before TC. Those are the kind of bonehead decisions I've come to expect from Sparano. I really hope he's learned from that.

Date: August 06, 2011 07:45AM

Gates will be playing over Wallace.

Treasure is mis-quoting an article.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: August 06, 2011 07:47AM

Date: August 06, 2011 08:11AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 06, 2011 08:57AM

montequi Wrote:
> Wallace was ok last year, but he didn't break into
> the starting lineup, so I'm not convinced he's
> better than Gates. Gates is raw but has TONS of
> potential.

It's not terribly common for an undrafted rookie WR to break into the starting lineup. Especially not one who spent his whole life playing soccer in Panama, and hasn't played a lot of football. Wallace is 6'4, 225, and runs a 4.45. He has a ton of potential. He caught a lot of deep passes in camp last year, and made some big plays in the preseason. Then he sprained his knee, which slowed him down, and delayed his arrival on to the game day roster. What Wallace did they gives him a leg up is that he was pretty good on punt coverage last season. That's why he moved ahead of Moore on the depth chart, because he could contribute on special teams, and Moore couldn't. Wallace is not a guy to just dismiss. They have more invested in Gates, and Gates has very special speed, so Gates will likely be ahead of Wallace when its all said and done. But, Sparano is going to let a rookie think he's got a job nailed down.

Gates' biggest issue will be learning to read defenses and run option routes. That's always the biggest factor for rookie WR, learning how to run option routes correctly. And it's going to be a big challenge for him coming from a D2 program. Until then, he'll be limited to about 3 or 4 routes, and that's what will keep him from threatening for a starting job until next season.

Date: August 06, 2011 11:06AM

who's the guy who caught the long TD vs OAK, wallace or moore? That's the guy i like

Date: August 06, 2011 11:13AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 09, 2011 05:07AM

The depth chart came out yesterday and Gates is listed as the backup to Bess on KR and PRs. It is early but I think Gates wins both of those positions and will be active based on ST contributions.

WR....Marshall, Bess, Wallace, Foster, Pruitt

WR...Hartline, Gates, Moore, Levas, Carter

So as it stands now Moore and Wallace need to contribute on ST as the 5th and 6th WR....if we keep 6.

I have a feeling we keep at least 5 rbs but have no idea how it shakes out. Clay is behing Polite and listed as a FB.

Sheets is listed behing Grigsby for whatever its worth at this point. Bush is listed as the starting RB ahead of Thomas and Hilliard.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 09, 2011 06:37AM

eesti Wrote:
> The depth chart came out yesterday and Gates is
> listed as the backup to Bess on KR and PRs. It is
> early but I think Gates wins both of those
> positions and will be active based on ST
> contributions.
>
> WR....Marshall, Bess, Wallace, Foster, Pruitt
>
> WR...Hartline, Gates, Moore, Levas, Carter
>
Gates is already ahead of Moore. That's a good sign!!

> I have a feeling we keep at least 5 rbs but have
> no idea how it shakes out. Clay is behing Polite
> and listed as a FB.
>
> Sheets is listed behing Grigsby for whatever its
> worth at this point. Bush is listed as the
> starting RB ahead of Thomas and Hilliard.

I actually thought Hilliard looked good last year in his limited play at FB. He's much more versatile than Polite. I'd like to see Clay at TE (since we need depth there) with Hilliard as the starting FB. Polite would be the specialty short-yardage guy. Bush makes sense as the starting RB, but Thomas should be plenty of touches as he's a complete change-up from Bush. With Sheets not listed on ST at all, I have a feeling he won't make the roster.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: August 09, 2011 06:47AM

eesti Wrote:
----------------------------
The depth chart came out yesterday and Gates is listed as the backup to Bess on KR and PRs. It is early but I think Gates wins both of those positions and will be active based on ST contributions.

I don't understand, we're not planning on using Reggie Bush to return punts OR kickoffs??? Are we really that content with Bess returning punts? The guy is electric in the slot, but he just hasn't been good returning punts for us. Of all the things Reggie Bush apparently can't do or is limited to, I kind of thought special teams was an example of one of the few things that Bush is at his best when doing.

He's supposedly not an every down back who can't run between the tackles, but a guy who can be electric when he gets the ball in space. I hope we actually use him for the one play that puts him in that position.

Date: August 09, 2011 06:47AM

Date: August 09, 2011 07:54AM

it's not worth using bush on KO given the rule change will limit the # of KO returns. As far as punt returns, he was pretty bad at it last year (lower ave than even Bess), but I agree he can break one once in awhile. For this reason I think we should put him at PR only when we really need a big return, to save wear and tear on him. I think maybe Gates or someone else can be put at Pr over Bess, who is terrible at it and also not worth the injury risk

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 09, 2011 11:24AM

We have two big power type RB's and three specialty scat backs on the roster (not including Fcool smiley...

I would like to see all the fastest guys make the team but in all likelihood we have a big and scat back and two guys to back them up.

If Thomas gets injured then we really cant count on the smaller guys to carry the load inside so I think we see Thomas with Hilliard as backup...

and Bush with Grigsby or Sheets as backup....its sort of a double insurance policy.

We basically have three identical backs with Bush, Sheets and Grigsby physically speaking anyway. Lets see who has the vision and ability to run inside. We already know Bush can't.

Clay will be more of an H-back and will line up at FB and TE from what I hear. This was one of the problems they hoped to impose on the defense...with them not being able to recognize where he plays for pre snap reads.

I don't even see him as a blocker but maybe he can do it.

We need to see something out of Hilliard this preseason IMO. It just seems as though we could do better than him with someone out there.

I really think we are weak at TE. Dabol used the TE a lot in Cleveland but maybe he is tailoring his offense around our personnel.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.