HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marshall at 22.5 mph
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Marshall at 22.5 mpheye popping smiley
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:30AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marshall at 22.5 mpheye popping smiley
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 03:26AM

if marshall hits speed of 22 miles an hour then ted ginn can hit speeds of 50 miles an hour.

Date: June 28, 2011 04:48AM

Sam-
I understand the cynicism, but Ted Ginn's best probably was about 22.5 or so. Chris Johnson was clocked in a 76 yrd TD run at 22 mph. Chris Johnson was said to be faster then Ginn in the 100 meter...
SO yes, Brandon Marshall is claiming to have elite speed again, that is what his trainers are saying and was his goal.. Lets give the guy a chance, he has been busting his butt this offseason, probably as hard as any guy on our team. If he shows up and dominates with his size and speed on the field, will be the true test. You also have to realize Marshall was doing 22.5 mph to keep from falling on his face on a sand paper conveyor belt. It is not quite the same thing as generating that pace on your own on a football field while eluding tacklers... But I can say this, it seems Brandon as he ages from last year to this, will not be a step slower but a step faster, which goes against the norm and something us Dolfans should be happy about, not negative about...

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 05:01AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 05:18AM

I can do that

Date: June 28, 2011 05:35AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can do that

Come on now, I got a c-note for you, if you put your treadmill to 22.5 mph and run for 5 seconds and post the video on youtube for us to see... Just dont send me the plastic surgery bills for your face after it meets the sandpaper conveyor belt..ouch

Date: June 28, 2011 06:15AM

Date: June 28, 2011 06:19AM

Date: June 28, 2011 06:49AM

oh man, they filmed that? they said there wasn't any film in that camera! bastards

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 28, 2011 07:27AM

Chris Johnson runs fast in a game, on a field..with pads on.

I want to see Marshall do this in a game wearing a Dolphins uni, not at some training facility in sprinting shoes and running shorts.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: June 28, 2011 07:36AM

good point. i always wondered why they don't make players run 40s in pads at the combine. isn't that the true test of game speed?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 28, 2011 07:51AM

in any case we should all be glad Marshall is trying to improve. He should be as fast or faster than he has ever been and that's good news no matter how u slice it. Hard workers excel in the nfl and he seems to be that even if he is a diva.

The bad news is we could have taken a run at Syd Rice and other big name wrs this year without giving up picks....had we just waited a year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 28, 2011 08:47AM

eesti Wrote:
> Hard workers excel in the
> nfl and he seems to be that even if he is a diva.

Yes they do! Randy Moss has always worked hard in the offseason, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy is a prick.

Date: June 28, 2011 09:31AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 11:26AM

Crowder52 im pulling for him to do better than last year. As long as he is a dolphins im a fan.

But are you saying marshall is as fast as ted ginn at full speed....?

If you are i disagree completely...

Dont get me wrong i rather have marshall than ted ginn any day....Marshall is a complete player and with the right QB can dominate a game. Ginn cannot.... But i just do not agree marshall can run like ted ginn.

Just that.

PS.Im glad he is trying to better himself as a player. Now all we need for him to do is quit with all those tantrums on the field.

Date: June 28, 2011 11:27AM

22.2 MPH? Only when his wife is chasing him with a sharp instrument.............spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 28, 2011 11:39AM

Date: June 28, 2011 12:23PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Crowder52 im pulling for him to do better than
> last year. As long as he is a dolphins im a fan.
>
> But are you saying marshall is as fast as ted ginn
> at full speed....?
>
> PS.Im glad he is trying to better himself as a
> player. Now all we need for him to do is quit with
> all those tantrums on the field.

I agree, Nope I am not saying he is faster then Ted Ginn, just that he is working hard and getting faster and and it is good to hear. Since certain injuries and surgeries stiffened up certain muslces and tendons and has weakened his game, he wants to improve his game, so he went after a percieved weakness. Which was his mobility and athleticism as it relates to speed... I am sure he is catching balls off the machine,

PF2-
Marshall is smart enough to realize that in order to get Henne to throw him the ball as much as he wants, he has to get better separation...
It goes back to that interview he did after he was all upset on the field and he went to the sidelines and talked to Pennington, and Marshall was outraged that Henne didnt throw him the ball, Pennington asked him were you open, Marshall said, "No." Pennington said "well then he did his job", and Marshall understood and said "As a reciever you jsut want the ball, you want to make a play ans some times that gets the best of you."

So in Marshall's world, he has to get open more or father to get the ball so that is what he is doing. I am assuming he is working catching lots of balls, he knows which bad statistic he lead last year.. Hopefull a little more time with Henne will naturally help that stat and their chemistry.

Date: June 28, 2011 12:43PM

Date: June 28, 2011 01:09PM

I think what Marshall is concerned with was his yac went down and he was less productive after the catch then normal, I think he attributes that to not having that extra little bit and some is on Henne's ball placement. The more seperation he has when he catches the ball the better he is as a reciever. I think would be a better way to state it.
As I said before I am sure he is working on catching lots of balls he has posted pics of it early on in his twitter debut several months back. I think his shooting on improving all of his stats. I am excited to see him really going after this offseason as hard as any player I follow on twitter.. Lets see though when football begins who is ballin and who isnt... My guess is Marshall will play extremely well this year, and alot of it will be due to the edge he gained in the offseason.

Date: June 28, 2011 02:19PM

my offseason priorities if I was Ireland

(1) QB
--orton for a 3d, or merling---if they want more, forget it
--v young for nothing
--m bulger for nothing

(2) RB
--d williams if we can get him for a reasonable amount (not impossible, RBs are undervalued and he's coming off injury)
--sproles

(3) OL---backup T or starting caliber guard

(4) Safety, backup LB, best guy we can get for the $ without breaking the bank

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: June 28, 2011 03:53PM

Marshall ran a 4.55 and a 4.57 at the combine when he came out. I'm very skeptical about regaining his "4.4" speed. Did he ever have it in the first place? Since becoming a starter, he has never averaged more than 13 yards per catch, and over the last 3 years has averaged just 11.7 yards per catch. So, he has never actually shown deep speed at the NFL level. A 4.55 40 time works out to an average of 18 mph over the 40 yards. A 4.45 40 works out to 18.4 mph. A 4.20 40 works out to 19.5 mph. If he is actually reaching 22.5 mph, he's not holding it for very long. So, this all sounds good, but let's see what it means on the field, with pads on, and DB jamming him at the line.

The good thing is that at 6'4, 230, Marshall doesn't need 4.4 speed. What he needs is more quickness and explosiveness to generate more separation.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: June 28, 2011 04:28PM

The post below is not mine, just for thought and discussion.

If you consider that Olympic 100 meter runners run 9.8 sec, that is 10.204 meters per second, convert that to feet per second = 33.48 feet/ sec multiply this times 60 = 2,008.8 ft/min multiplied by 60 minutes in an hour = 120,528 ft/hr divide this by 5280 ft/mile = 22.83 mph. So I would believe that a football player would run no more than 21 mph taking into consideration that the time above would be for an olympic champion. I would say a good number to give them would be at 22.36 mph, which is a 10 second 100 meter. That would be without the pads, so with the pads it would have to be around 22 mph which would be a 10.17 100 meter run. The fastest man to ever run has been Michael Johnson with his 200 meter run which was 19.32 which translates to 23.16 mph. The fastest 100 meter runner ever clocked a 9.74 which is Asafa Powell which translates to 22.97 mph.

Obtained from...answers.yahoo.com, Posted by ?cgc2006

Date: June 29, 2011 02:37AM

Ken-
Do those numbers just take the time and distance and come up with a speed, becasue if that is the case, the MPH is probably a little slow. People dont reach maximum acceleration immediately, So you cant just take distance and time, and come up with mph. This math is assuming the runner hits maximum speed in the firs hundreth of a second which is not happening.

Secondly the stat I put up of Chris Johnson breaking 22 mph in a game environment, was actual, not a hypothetical. The guy broke 22mph in less then 100 meters, while wearing pads and eluding tacklers.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 29, 2011 02:48AM

You can't equate treadmill speed directly to speed on the field. Running on a treadmill is like running downhill, on a very steep grade. Football is played on a flat field. So 22.5 mph downhill is probably more like 18 mph on a flat grade.

Date: June 29, 2011 02:55AM

I agree treadmill speed is not field speed, but I dont think it is 4.5 mph. How do you come up with that number, just out of thin air?
With a treadmill you just have to get your feet up and moving, not driving your weight as you do on a field.. SO obviously it is different...Now just pulling a number out of thin air to devalue Brandon's work isnt exactly fair either.

Date: June 29, 2011 02:58AM

The Math Kens post was suggesting was, from my understanding it was taking an avg speed of the distance and calling that their maximum velocity, which isnt the case, avg and maximum are not going to be near the same number...

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: June 29, 2011 11:48AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Ken-
> Do those numbers just take the time and distance
> and come up with a speed, becasue if that is the
> case, the MPH is probably a little slow. People
> dont reach maximum acceleration immediately, So
> you cant just take distance and time, and come up
> with mph. This math is assuming the runner hits
> maximum speed in the firs hundreth of a second
> which is not happening.

I was going to point this out too. The bottom line is that I can believe that he did it. He was aided by the treadmill and had instantaneous and constant speed. Essentially the machine limits friction and pulls his foot through, forcing him to go that speed. While that does not translate to running that fast on the football field, it is an interesting training technique that might help improve his overall time. My concern is that it sure looks dangerous, especially after having watched the videos of Berkeley's attempts.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: July 03, 2011 01:57PM

Guy's, I never said that the math was comprehensive or correct...yes there are holes in the calculations. I only posted it to add to the discussion and it looks in that respect, like that was a success.

IMHO, I don't buy for a second that Brandon Marshall can run over 22 MPH unaided...I don't buy that he can even hit 20. Now I freely admit to not having any facts to back up this opinion, just based on watching him run.

Date: July 04, 2011 10:08AM

I agree Ken, he didnt do it unaided. But it is impressive training, to be doing 22.5mph on a treadmill. working on burst, etc. I just think, Marsall's speed training, means he will be faster on the field then last year, and that is good for the team. Field speed vs, track speed, vs treadmill speed vs Gameday speed are all different.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.