HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          our offense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
our offense
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 11:27AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: our offense
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 11:29AM

Garner not Jerry will be our starting RG.

Date: May 03, 2011 11:30AM

that's fine
we need depth at OT bigtime though

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 03, 2011 12:21PM

IMO Garner will be our LG as he pulls better than Incognito. Richie will be our RG....Jerry goes the way of Thomas and Murphy.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 03, 2011 12:41PM

That's a mighty big IF but I can agree with that. And with that said, I believe Carson Palmer would be an amazing fit down here (way back during the season I wanted him + a rookie to develop).

Beyond that, there are a number of possibilities that are significant upgrades over Henne including some young rock chucker I spotted today on a high school field.

No way we go into the season with Henne. No way…

Please, right?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 03, 2011 01:26PM

Have you ever seen how bad Derek Anderson is?

Believe it or not, at one point under the tutelage of Brian Daboll, he made the Pro-bowl.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 03, 2011 02:07PM

In 2009, Garner graded out as an excellent pass blocker, but a terrible run blocker (from profootballfocus.com). Ideally, he stays as a guy who can backup at G and T.

LG is still a big need. Incognito is not good at the position, as we learned last year. He needs to go back to RG, where he had spent his whole career.

Go out and sign Justin Blaylock or Carl Nicks in free agency, bring in Darren Sproles, trade Brandon Marshall for whatever you can get, and bring in Malcolm Floyd to replace him. Then, our offense will take off.

Date: May 03, 2011 03:23PM

You know what, I actually agree with you. I think you are exactly right.

We have a deep threat, we have arguably the 2nd best slot guy in the league, we have an over-achiever in Hartline...if Clay can develop into a poor mans Dallas Clark, then we have no need for a prima donna. That being said, if we can add another good reciever...ala Floyd.

Marshall can go.

---------------------

Date: May 03, 2011 03:30PM

I would trade Brandon Marshall for Sydney Rice....straight up.

Rice is a team player. He is also a Free Agent, so maybe we could get him...then trade Marshall for whatever we can get.

---------------------

Date: May 03, 2011 03:40PM

stop with the trade marshall idea. we could get at most a 5th or 6th for him. You want to trade our best receiver for that??

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 03, 2011 03:53PM

Maybe better than watching him get suspended for a year or banned.

Not that he has done anything but as soon as he and his wife get back together, he may decide to "play catch-up."

Date: May 03, 2011 04:00PM

I'd rather keep him and take the chance he gets suspended for a year rather than sell low on him for a 5th.

isn't santanio holmes a FA? maybe sign him?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 03, 2011 04:03PM

Well, berk, you are more of a gambler than me.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 03, 2011 04:16PM

Garner will start on the line before Carey last year he played way better before his injury.

Date: May 03, 2011 04:17PM

Your hoping Pouncey is all that. I think he's gonna be solid, but at this point you just never know.

QB is a sore spot. I'm talking OUCH. I really hope they give Thigpen or a Vet the Nod. Pet delvin is avaialble as a free agent draftee, maybe we can scoop him and get Rid of Henne alltogether. I'd have alot more confidence without him .

Date: May 03, 2011 05:08PM

Marshall is a virus. He is one of the 3 or 4 players that divide a locker room.

Its is only a matter of time before he does it here. Just wait and see. The best thing we could do is part with him at all cost. Dont care what it is, just get rid of him. A Miami Herald and a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

---------------------

Date: May 03, 2011 05:32PM

Seriously, having a guy who pouts and whines and commits penalties because he may not get 100 catches is not a good thing. I don't care if we have a 100 catch guy. I want enough quality weapons that we can spread the production around. Give me two guys with 70 catches (Hartline and Bess), two guys with 40 catches (Floyd and Gates) but who average more than 15 yards per catch, and give me a couple of TE who can combine for 70 catches, and I'll be really happy. And we'll be a better team.

Hartline was on pace for over 60 catches last season. And he ended his season with 4 really good games in a row (an avg of 4.5 catches and 80 yards per game). He can definitely be a 70 catch guy. Malcom Floyd has averaged over 17 yards per catch for his career, and is 6'5, 225. With him on one side, and Gates on the other, you clear out all the underneath routes for Bess and the other guys. I'd be perfectly happy with releasing Marshall, and using the $ savings to go after other players. Admit the mistake and move on.

It's great, in this draft, we added more weapons. And as it was last season, Marshall wasn't happy because he wasn't getting the ball enough. With more weapons, there is less reason to get Marshall the ball. Some guys would be ok with that, if it meant more wins. Think Marshall is one of those guys? I don't.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 06:15PM

good points dolfanmark and i dont disagree. but i would like to give marshall one more season just because of the huge investment we made in him. if he does poorly trade him for whatever we can get and move on. his potential impact on the field is too much to give up after only a one season experiment. the offense will be all around better this year which will give marshall more 1 on 1 coverage along with more room in the open field, and he will be happy about that. so all im saying is one more season before we dump him.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 06:22PM

The Bears would take him. Would We do Knox and a pick for him?

Would love to add Deangelo, Devine, and a QB. Heard Hasselbeck rumored today.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 06:26PM

im not too high on knox. id rather trade him for just picks. think we can get their second rounder? im not sure id do the deal for less at this point.

deangelo is expensive but he would be nice for at least a few seasons til he wore out. id rather throw money at a G and a cheaper RB.

hassleback would be good for a two year deal.

Date: May 03, 2011 06:29PM

guys, marshall's value is at it's lowest point ever. he's coming off his worse season, just got stabbed, and depending on what occurred leading to the stabbing, he could be suspended for 1 year. we are not getting johnny knox for him (don't want him anyway), we're not getting a 2d round pick for him, we're not getting carson palmer for him, a 5th or 6th is more like it. so keep him.

Date: May 03, 2011 07:16PM

JESUS LOL its funny watching we should trade Marshall for blah blah blah..

Lol he isnt going anywhere so sit back and get your popcorn ready.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: May 03, 2011 07:36PM

Hey A&O.....what is a PRI MADONNA??....Is that someone born before Madonna? drinking smiley

Date: May 03, 2011 08:15PM

He's full of em lol.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 04, 2011 01:58AM

Enough with the Marshall trade talk. It ain't happening. Our first 1k receiver in how long? And you want to get rid of him? He will be fine and is not getting suspended for being a victim...which is what he is at this point.

1k yards with a qb was afraid to throw the ball. He is a top 5 receiver with better offense and qb.

Some of u r putting a lot of confidence in Gates who has much to prove. If he works out as a WR as I think he will...he opens up the field for Marshall big time.

I do agree that we need to spend for the best pulling guard we can find. Prob our biggest need outside of qb.

We only need a scat back and DW may be too much of an investment.

I can't wait to see what Sheets can do. Can u imagine our team speed with he and Gates on the field? Could be awesome.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 04, 2011 05:51AM

MARSHALL FASANO LONG ICOG POUNCEY GARNER CAREY BESS HART/GATES
HENNE

THOMAS

grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 05:52AM by DaytonaDolfan13.

Date: May 04, 2011 07:38AM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good points dolfanmark and i dont disagree. but i
> would like to give marshall one more season just
> because of the huge investment we made in him. if
> he does poorly trade him for whatever we can get
> and move on. his potential impact on the field is
> too much to give up after only a one season
> experiment. the offense will be all around better
> this year which will give marshall more 1 on 1
> coverage along with more room in the open field,
> and he will be happy about that. so all im saying
> is one more season before we dump him.

The problem is that we can get rid of him now, for $3M. If we don't exercise that out in his contract, we go on the hook for an additional $15M in guaranteed money. And there will be a salary cap in the new CBA, and having to eat most of that $15M could be devastating.

Date: May 04, 2011 07:44AM

Yeah it would be soooo devastating.

Im glad its your money and not mine, wait a min oh yeah it's multi BILLIONAIRE Steven Ross's money.

The new CBA could be more, or less than the currant cap.

Who cares. He is worth the 15 million if he plays motivated and dedicated.

A pissed off Marshall who wants to be number one in the league will prob put up numbers close to 1300 yards, and prob around 10 td's.

We let him ride out his contract then Resign him and try and trade him then.

Trading now will be retarted ok simply retarted.

Date: May 04, 2011 07:50AM

agreed it would be retarted.

Date: May 04, 2011 07:59AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Enough with the Marshall trade talk. It ain't
> happening. Our first 1k receiver in how long? And
> you want to get rid of him? He will be fine and is
> not getting suspended for being a victim...which
> is what he is at this point.
>
> 1k yards with a qb was afraid to throw the ball.
> He is a top 5 receiver with better offense and
> qb.
>
> Some of u r putting a lot of confidence in Gates
> who has much to prove. If he works out as a WR as
> I think he will...he opens up the field for
> Marshall big time.
>
> I do agree that we need to spend for the best
> pulling guard we can find. Prob our biggest need
> outside of qb.
>
> We only need a scat back and DW may be too much of
> an investment.
>
> I can't wait to see what Sheets can do. Can u
> imagine our team speed with he and Gates on the
> field? Could be awesome.

On Sheets, the guy is coming off a torn achilles. I wouldn't count on anything from him at this point.

Why is there some perception that Marshall had a down year with Henne? He had the same exact year he has every season. Go back and look at the numbers. Marshall, for his entire career, catches an average of 6.5 passes per game, at 12 yards per catch. And that's exactly what he did with Henne. He is what he is, a possession receiver. If you expect him to be more than that, then you are expecting him to reach some new level of performance. After 5 years in the league, plus 1 knee surgery and two hip surgeries, that's not likely to happen.

profootballfocus.com grades every player on every play. For WR, they account for everything, including catch percentage, dropped passes, blocking, penalties committed, yards after catch, broken tackles, fumbles after the catch, etc.

In 2008, Marshall was the 14th ranked WR in the league. His rating was dragged down by a relatively low catch percentage, a high number of drops, a number of penalties committed, a few fumbles after the catch, and the fact that there more INT than TD when Marshall was targeted.

In 2009, Marshall was the 30th ranked WR. His rating was dragged down by a very low yards per catch (11.1), penalties committed, a high number of drops, poor blocking, and many fewer broken tackles than in 2008.

In 2010, Marshall was the 28th ranked WR. His rating was dragged down by very poor yards after catch, a high number of drops, penalties committed, more interceptions than TD on passes targeted for him, and even fewer broken tackles than in 2009.

Clearly, dropped passes are a big problem for him. Another problem is the number of INTs on passes thrown his way. One reason why there are so many is because he gets very little separation. That's why he usually has a low catch percentage, too. This has been the case his whole career, which means that it's been the same issue, regardless of whether it was Cutler, Orton, or Henne at QB. The other disturbing trend is that this is a 3 year decline in breaking tackles or forcing missed tackles.

And the Dolphins just went out and got more weapons for the offense. More weapons means less touches for Marshall. And who really thinks that Marshall is going to be ok with that? Remember the Cincy game? We're ahead. Henne hits Marshall on a deep in to put us in the redzone. In frustration that this is his first catch, Marshall heaves it out of bounds, drawing a penalty, and taking us out of the redzone. He is a purely selfish player who could care less about the team. Get rid of him now, and replace him with a guy who cares more about winning than his personal stats.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.